Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nalcar

Finished DIY kitchen pics: Granny's Kountry Kitchen goes Modern

nalcar
15 years ago

Thanks to everyone who provided help and inspiration for my DIY project. I learned lots of things that I hope improved my result:

ÂDIY kitchen- budget $30,000. I came in about $1500 over so I'm OK

ÂKitchen for 1500ft small mid-century house ( single guy, no family)

ÂFrequent entertaining, but don't cook much (maybe now I will be inspired !)

ÂDid all myself except floor, counter and windows ( plumbing help from buddy)

ÂMy Stuff:

ÂKraftmaid Provence, Ginger with Sable glaze w/ Ikea Avsikt (modified)stacked

ÂSandstone porcelain rectifed 20X20's

ÂTrend Stone Tropico with custom demi round edge

ÂGlass mosaic from Lowe's

ÂBlanco Silgranite Anthracite

ÂNewport Brass pulldown

ÂViking Dual Fuel sealed

ÂViking SXS (Amana with the world's biggest Viking badge the size of a licence plate)

ÂBosch 500

ÂBest 600 CFM integrated (invisible)

Here you can see before and after.

More views of the almost done deal

My big counter for serving buffet style, and my new little nook area

Listened to advice and did drawer bases with the soft close. Have 2 super susans where dead space used to exist. Basically I have empty upper cabs except for some glasses.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comments (51)

• lyno
    15 years ago

You did a great job! Boy, what a change! It's beautiful. Looks like you have a nice view, too. It's modern with a nice warm inviting look to it, not a cold modern. I do love that backsplash!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

I think you did an amazing job. Really clean look.
    Love that lighting on the sink wall beam, very cool.
    Congratulations! Get cooking and entertaining now!
    vic

• Yvonne B
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I like the Ikea stacked above the traditional cabinetry, as well as the lights above. You really did a great job.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Wow! Great changes! I love the lighting over the window! And the Ikea stacked cabinets lining up with the light bar is absolutely stunning. How did you get the Ikea cab sizes to match up with the Kraftmaid sizes? Your new space should inspire a cooking frenzy.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Curious about the Trend Stone. We looked at it but you obviously didn't put it over the existing countertops so I would be interested to know why you chose it over other surfaces and without being too gauche what if any cost advantages it offered. The kitchen turned out terrific.

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

OMG!!! This is breathtaking, Nalcar. I can't imagine this is the same room, let alone a DIY job. WOW.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Very cool and unique kitchen. Lots of good thought went into this - the lighting, the pass-through, the niches in the backsplash... Hope you do start cooking in it! And do *lots* of entertaining. (Hey, invite *me*! ;-))

Love the cabinets, btw. I also have KM Ginger with Sable Glaze, but in a wide shaker style - your door style was my second choice!

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

This is exact opposite of my taste but it is beautiful! I love the backsplash and the niche you did and how you have it in the corner. And even more amazing is that it is almost all DYI--you should be proud--looks great!

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

GREAT transformation!

• minette99
    15 years ago

Just GORGEOUS!! So many things to love here -- and I echo what someone already said -- not my style but I LOVE it! It does look so well put together and though out. The lighting over the sink wall is beautiful as are the lit stacked cabinets. I also love the 20x20s on the floor -- gives it such a large feeling, while the cabinet color choice makes it feel more intimate or warm or less large -- balanced? I love how you did the nook next to the range vs over the range - very unexpected. The new window and the beam are such a nice focal point. There is something interesting on every wall.

I really love what you did. You have a very intelligent perspective and it is so very impressive!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

What terrific choices. I love the cabinets, both the color and the door style. Some very unique choices with the glass cabs and the lighting over the sink area. As others have said, warm and modern at the same time. What great space that buffet area gives you. Also like the larger format tiles. We just put 18X18 rectified tiles in our kids' bathroom, I just love them.

Congratulations and enjoy.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Whenever I see nice MCM this Kountry Granny gets a pang of longing. My next life maybe. Your home is beautiful and your kitchen a fantastic DYI inspiration. Happy cooking, Nalcar.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Very nice and professional job! It's always great to see projects by other fellow DIYers. I had to look over the photos again and again. What an amazing change, and so appropriate now for a single guy who likes to entertain. You have some unique and cool details, like the little alcove built into the backsplash to the left of the stove. I love the whole feel of your home now, and that great painting!

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Wow, gorgeous,wonderful new kitchen. Love how you have integrated the windows, cabinetry into a very cool design.

As I always say, extra credit for DIYing it. Hats off to you and your vision. it looks perfect.

goodbye,kountry, granny, fake greenery (?),
    hello, mod, light, clean, sleek, sharp and stainless...

• pcjs
    15 years ago

Looks great. We have the same cabinets and have had them in a year (DIY too) and they have held up very well and no issues.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Wow!

Impressive! What a huge difference that lighting over the sink makes! And that new window- wow! I'm going to copy the pic of the Super Susan- still on my DH's list of things to make. Yours looks like it utilizes every single sq.in!!!

Super good job!

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the kind words. I'll try to answer all of your questions too. For now, I forgot to show you my favorite waste of money; a $300.00 spice rack. It really comes in handy when the pizza arrives- all my spices are right there!

• morton5
    15 years ago

I love love love love it. You have great design sense and you are so handy. This is my new favorite DIY.

Please share how you modified the Avsikt cab. You are so bold to have combined Ikea and Kraftmaid. That is really thinking outside of the box-- usually people are firmly in one camp or the other.

Enjoy all that gorgeous equity you have created in your home.

• gglks
    15 years ago

i'm not one for modern.....but this kind of modern, i'd take all day long. very hip and warm at the same time. love the niches!!!!!!!!! you GOTTA start cooking......baby steps, start small!!!!!!!!!!

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ÂWhy I did it? Avsikt was $52.00@ vs $350.00@, so I saved about $1500.00,
    enough for my Bosch DW + panel + soap and jet dry for life.

ÂHow ? Akvist is about 3/16" longer than the Kraftmaid, but ONLY IN THE inner BOX, not the aluminum framed glass door. The door is less than 1/8" different. So I trimmed the width of the Akvist particlebord box ( horizontally) to the width of the door, or less, and reassembled with strong deck screws since the camlock was no longer possible on that side.

They are mounted on the railsystem, independent of the Kraftmaids. They are mounted just a hair apart, so they look really sleek like one long window, (and still open), plus visually align fairly well to the cabs below. The only place they all actually connect is the vertical end cover panel ( see the photo) , which is held by a few small screws. The top molding is attached only to the Akvist.

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

Nalcar, could you please tell me about those lights above the sink? I remember seeing them somewhere but I can't find them. Were they very expensive?

• morton5
    15 years ago

Sorry to keep inquiring about the Avsikt cabs, but did you buy yours before Ikea redesigned the horizontal cabs? The new horizontals are not compatible with Avsikt doors. I think you can buy different hinges if you are really intent on using Avsikt, though.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

Congratulations on a job well done. Great design aesthetic.

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Morton. I'd be glad to tell you what I know. I purchased my Avsikt last fall, when I as experimenting around and thought I might do the whole kitchen in IKEA. In my 2009 IKEA kitchen catalog on p. 81 it shows Avsikt available with horizontal boxes in my size, for $76.00 ( price increase?). I wasn't aware of a redesign; I'll have to look. Thanks.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Great job . . . as others have said, a nice warm modern. I too love the cylinder lights and the Ikea above the cabinets. The whole kitchen shows great creativity. Love it!

• PoorOwner
    15 years ago

I love what you have done, such a clean look.

Everything looks lovely; that's an amazing DIY job and inspiration to us DIYers out there.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Nice!!! Love the niches and the tiled wall--might have to steal a bit of that idea for a wall in one or two of our bathrooms!

• megradek
    15 years ago

GREAT job, nalcar!! I'm always blown away by DIYers. I love the backsplash & niches. You were creative with combining the cabinets and it really paid off.

get a really good basic cookbook and get cookin'!!! Maybe try crockpot meals to start :-)

• mary6283
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love your colors and the windows are wonderful. That spice rack (great use of space!) is probably worth every cent. It's also amazing that it was almost entirely a DIY. Congratulations! Can you tell me how you got your pictures to show up right in your post (instead of in a link?) I have looked everywhere and can't find directions on how to do that.

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, caryscott. I chose the Trend Stone for several reasons.

ÂGranite is beautiful but I wanted no movement (my floors have lots of it)
    ÂWanted a medium value gray/brown look, not black. Of all Quartz I saw,
    Only the Trendstone had the perfect Gray, Caramel, Tan, Black and Brown
    mix I envisioned
    ÂThe Laguna Hills store, unlike any other location, was able to provide the
    exact rounded pencil radius I wanted.
    ÂColor/ seam matching was absolutlely guaranteed, and I have several
    challenging/ patch areas around the posts to match up. They are almost
    undetectable.
    ÂPrice was like prefab Granite, including my custom edge ( and I have LOTS
    of edge)

There were many choices; I'm sure others would have worked too. I really like the color, semi matte finish, and easy care. The quality look is very good too.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Here's one granny, who happens to love old fashioned country kitchens, who also thinks you did an absolutely amazing, postively pleasing job with this kitchen reno! Congratulations!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Nalcar,

I don't think I have seen anybody here use it but I looked at it when we were starting out but didn't give it a very thorough consideration as it was handled buy a pretty pricey fabrictor in our area. I was interested and would consider it (and Lexton) more closely next time. I think it looks great and really appreciate the info.

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone again for the kind words.

I really appreciate that even those who like traditional design (as I do, too, for the right house) could like this one as well.

Seeing everyone's beautiful kitchens, I really have come to love, for example, a white inset kitchen with soapstone. Maybe the next house...

Modesignfan: The up/down lights are from the Retro collection by Remcraft. They are original 50's design that has been reissued, and cost about $120.00.

Mary 6283: I use Photobucket.com. When you oopen an account you can download your files. When you do, you click on "HTML code" and it says "copied". Then you simply paste into your posting, and it will appear right in the "preview message" as your photo.

Thanks Again.

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

One more question, please, could you tell me about those handles? I really like them. Are they comfortable? And are they all the same size? Where did you get them and was the cost reasonable, if I may ask? Thanks.

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem. They are all the same 8" Ikea Metrik in stainless. The only exception is on the corner Super Susans where I could only fit the 4" ones.

They were the same as others I saw but cheaper. Only $9.99 for TWO.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

WOW. So impressive. That is the best usage of KM I've ever seen. Just brilliantly visionary (in design terms :)). KM should pay you for letting them use pics. I'm serious. You could help them steal business from Ikea (not that I hate Ikea, I don't at all -- but I've never thought of KM like this and you've completely shucked scales off my eyes).

I also adore the tiled alcove(perfectly placed aqua accents, btw -- did you do that too? You're good :)). And the cylinder lights and the lit uppers...what else have you designed in your home? I look forward to following your progress. Any bathrooms, perhaps, in the near future?

BRAVO!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I was waiting for you to post.... and you didn't disappoint! Just amazing. I love mid century design. I love your table, chairs and painting. Just love the row of lighted cabinets above the Kraftmaid cabs. so so clever.

I'm blown away. you've got a good sense of humor too... thought the pizza comment was worthy of a LOL.

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flyleft: I'm absolutely blushing. I can't thank you enough for your comments. Especially given the DIY thing, the budget, and basically the fact that I have a small 11X12 space plus 4X5 alcove to work with.

Those aqua accents are rescued from my Mom; the Atomic Temporama dishware set we had when I was a child. In fact, the entire space was planned around them; the colors: Ivory, light green, taupe and aqua blue. I aquired pieces on EBay to compete the set. She thinks I'm nuts, of course, her having aquired them originally at Kroger's in 1963 for 25¢/a piece.

I do in fact have a bathroom to redo next, when the budget recovers!!!

mamdadpaige: Your continued support is so kind. I am so blown away by the graciousness of the nicest people on GW.

I cannot express how valuable the encouragement and feedback is to us DIYs and I thank you.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

nalcar, I meant every word :) I'm a DIYer too -- hacked Ikea all over our house. We did Hallarum (with extra conversion varnish) and Green Tea Corian, with a Sicis waterglass backsplash, each 5/8" tile set separately...I'll link to my flickr file so you can see the part for up above the sink that is awaiting some extra time to be finished...

Cool pattern, the Atomic Temporama -- always smart to use a pre-established, tested color palette. I look forward to seeing what you come with for your bath :)

Here is a link that might be useful: she sits there, silently reproaching me...

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

That is tremendously gorgeous, and filled with really fantastic ideas as only an inspired DIY'er can do it. Congratulations, all your hard work has paid off in a kitchen that's totally magazine-worthy. Love the Ikea cabinets and their gentle glow, but love them especially as an accent to the Brookhavens. Exquisite. You have excellent taste.

• richpoor
    15 years ago

You did all that yourself, and you're *single*?! Will you marry me?!! (never mind the husband and 3 kids thing :) ).

Definitely puts an end to any remaining snobbery I might have had about Ikea cabinets. Wow again. Terrific job!

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Oh geez. Wow. Oh my... I'm amazed at transformation, I just keep scrolling back up - is that really the same space?

Nice job, you are a genius!

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so fortunate to have such support from my friends at GW. You are all TOO kind for words...and I value all of them.

flyleft: I'd rip out my tile backsplash in a minute to have the one you are creating over your sink. Creating your design while keeping the tiles on grid is a testament to your craftsmanship. I noticed you are a pottery fan; here are some pieces in my niches, with unusual glazes, that I bought while in Seto, Japan- can you believe the colors? :

Evilbunnie, thank you for the compliment. You're not evil at all, are you!

Richpoor: Perhaps the marriage thing is out; how about adopting me? I'm handy round the house...

Jnmom: You are a sweetheart. You sound like my Mom!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks for your kind words about my abandoned mosaic child :) I *will* get back to her soon, I will, I will :)

And oh dear..I sit here at my desk surrounded by my current favorites of my Goodwill-sourced modern art pottery collection, looking at yours...we have very strangely close tastes...I love those splendid little vases and have to restrain myself from buying every one I find, because of my visceral love for glazes and textures :) Those are so dear; I *love* them. Thanks for posting -- maybe I'll photo some of mine and post them so you can see -- not many people appreciate them -- my DH very sweetly tolerates my slight obsessions :)

(side note: what's the grouting situation on the plane change of your shelf? Is there grout between the vertical and horizontal tiles? )

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

Nalcar,

You sure are talented! Remember you helped out in producing photo-crop pictures, what's the right word again? And now know you have designing skills as well. It is one heck of a 'before' & 'after' project, can't hardly recognize the same kitchen-dining room. Have to congratulate you on areas many have already mentioned - the uber unique tube lighting above the sink, the genius stacking of Ikea on top Kraftsmaid cabinets, the beautiful Japanese pottery ladened niche (been to Seto too)! They all pulled together to give you a million dollar Hollywood Hills mid century modern look. Is that where you are?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Well, this kitchen is just stunning!! Modern design is not my favorite because it usually seems to look cold. But this modern is very warm and inviting. Amazing how you managed to get modern, retro, and warm in the same space!! GREAT job!! This kitchen needs to be in a magazine. Have you thought about becoming a kitchen designer??

Cindy

• datura-07
    15 years ago

WOW, it is beautiful.

• nalcar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flyleft: yes there's grout in all the edges between the planes. It's not perfect but it's close enough that I'm OK with it all.

ccoombs: You summed it up perfectly. Retro, Warm and Modern was my dream. I just tried mixing in all the ingredients.

Gawd, if I were a kitchen designer, (as much as I'd love that) I'd be ejected from the Club for sure, for being so scandalous... ( "KM and IKEA? That will NEVER WORK"), etc. etc.

For now, if I may, I will hopefully be able to chime in occasionally on this forum, now that I have become TKO. ( How did THAT happen?)

As my kitchen now rightly begins its passage into the far lands of Page 67, I truly thank you all again! And can't wait to see your kitchens.

Nalcar.

• robin32
    15 years ago

This is a really gorgeous! I have to say how impressed I am finding this project and seeing the design and feeling you achieved. With what looks like pretty basic cabinets, counters and tile ( I do mean this as a compliment!) and a moderate budget, the result looks very individual and expensive. I love the look of both sides of your room and the openness you created.

How are you enjoying this beautiful kitchen?

• starpooh
    15 years ago

May I please archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist