Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjocean

Please show me the inside of your flatware drawer

mjocean
11 years ago

Hi,

We're getting measured for our cabinets soon and I would love to see photos of the inside of your flatware drawers.

Thanks,
MJ

Comments (42)

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Here's Mine- It's about 28" wide

• SadieV
    11 years ago

We did ours with the Lee Valley dividers.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Mine are 16 1/2" each.

• pjeanb
    11 years ago

One of my favorite things. A large drawer (25" interior fitted with BBand B bamboo dividers) between dishwasher and table.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

This is mine. The interior measurement is 13 1/2". i chose wire mesh flatware baskets from BB&B because then I can just lift them out to clean the drawer, the crumbs and dust fall right through. It's also where we keep corkscrews, wine pump, and bottle tops.

• slush1422
    11 years ago

We used the ones from Ikea.

From STILL not finished kitchen

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2LittleFishies - your photo did not post

sadieV, taggie & Pjean - all great ideas!
    MJ

• lolauren
    11 years ago

DH made the insert to my specs (wood is from HD or Lowes, just cut and assembled with brads.)

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ginny20 and slush - these look great, too!

Thank you!

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lolauren,

Great idea - my DH is also handy so this may be an option, too.
    Thanks,
    MJ

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lolauren,

Great idea - my DH is also handy so this may be an option, too.
    Thanks,
    MJ

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

This drawer and several others are fitted with the Lifestyle System dividers. Plastic strips (2'', 3'', or 4'' wide x 24'' long) are scored and snapped to length. Channeled holders are self adhesive. They do come off sometimes, and can be Gorilla glued if necessary.

Easy to lay out, infinitely customizable, very space efficient and easy to clean. I used graph paper cut to the drawer size, laid the utensils on the paper, marked where the dividers went, then laid the graph paper in the drawer and played score, snap, and stick.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 14:08

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bellsmom,

That looks like a very flexible system, thank you.
    MJ

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Hmmm- I see my photo above (1st response to OP).. You all don't?

Again..

• lolauren
    11 years ago

fishies - the photo shows up both times. :)

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fishies - I just looked on my iphone and it shows up there, just not my desk top computer for some reason........ Sorry, I like yours, too.
    MJM

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Mine won't inspire you. I bought the Lee Valley divider system last month during the sale, but it'll probably be months before I can get DH to install them. He moves like a slug on project completion, especially when he knows it's something I really want done. If I could find a pre-made divider system that fits in this shallow drawer, I would have just gone that route a year ago. Interior measures about 20" wide and 10.75" deep.

It's the drawer in my dish hutch here:

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

The flatware drawer is not the only one that benefits from dividers.
    Here are a few of my other drawers with the Lifestyle System dividers. The flatware drawer dividers in my previous post are mostly 2'' high as is this one.
    A composite drawer: wine, ice cream, and baking.

The next two use 4'' dividers.
    A prep drawer:

Another prep drawer:

I really like the flexibility of these dividers.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:41

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Bellsmom, thanks for sharing, especially for including the photos. Those dividers look perfect for my situation--only a few drawers in a small kitchen that cry out for very thin dividers like that.

• zelmar
    11 years ago

Our silverware drawer is in our 36" wide pantry cabinet near our table. I bought our first real set of silverware during the reno but I wanted to hold on to all of the odd pieces we somehow ended up with and used for the 15 years prior.

We originally had a divider from the cabinet maker but I recently switched over to bamboo boxes from BBB. They are very sturdy and they can be lifted out individually if I want to put a bunch silverware on the counter when we serve buffet style. The boxes are deep and sturdy. We had an adjustable (width) divider in another drawer but I got rid of it pretty quickly because it wasted a lot of vertical space with the design and the individual cubbies were too shallow for my needs.

The boxes added up and ended up being pricey but I loved them so much I bought them for 6 other drawers in the kitchen. The money spent on the bones of the kitchen isn't worth it if the hard working areas aren't as functional as they can be.

• houseful
    11 years ago

I made my own from the strips of wood at Lowes, just like Lolauren's husband did. It is super easy and super cheap.

I didn't just do my flatware drawers, I did some of my deeper drawers too. My baking drawer now has compartments for bowls, beater, measuring cups and spoons, etc. I did my junk drawers (yes, I have two, LOL!). Next is my tupperware drawer.

I don't know if this is true for all HD's, but mine does not carry the pine strips. They only have the harder woods. I went for the cheapest and Lowes had pine.

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for sharing your photos with me.

Breezy, Thank you. BTW I ordered the RH Aubrey pulls in brushed nickel for my draws and knobs for my upper cabinets. I used your suggestion about sizing for the drawer pulls.
    Bellsmom- you are very organized, I will definiately check out you divder system. Did you purchase on line?
    Zelmar- great idea and very attractive looking, too.
    Houseful - Thanks!

• Slappified
    11 years ago

Here is ours (picture taken during construction), it was a kitchenmaid promotion item. There are two levels and the top level is on drawer slides inside the drawer. It holds a ton more than our old drawer which was the same side. In the picture the top level is pushed into the cabinet to access the bottom level. We love it.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

All great ideas. But, I love the wire mesh baskets..

My cutlery drawer can get really crumby. How?? When it holds clean cutlery.

Ingenious way to clean it easily.

Filing for future reference.

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

Like slappified I have a double-stack drawer which I love since I have a small kitchen - it's in a 15 inch drawer above my trash pull-out (this set-up as discussed in another thread, is ideal for some of us, not for others). In order to get the two levels, the photo does not show that each level also has 2 horizontal spaces in the back, above the 3 vertical spaces that are shown. I have 10 of each standard utensil and they fit with extra room to spare - I must have been doing a load of dishes when I took this photo!

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much!
    Bellsmom - I agree, there are many good ideas here. Thank you for the link
    Slappified & Brooklyngalley - I like the 2 levels.
    Red Lover - I do have some wire mesh boxes now and they work well.
    Thanks again,
    MJ

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

DH just finished making drawer dividers for two of my large kitchen drawers. He's not really a cabinet guy at all, but he did a nice job on these, and I finally feel these wide drawers are somewhat organized.

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

Here is what our GC built for me. Top photo is in island above dish drawers. Bottom is in prep area.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

The wire mesh baskets in the house we rented let a lot of crumbs through and then we basically had to vacuum the drawers to get those crumbs out. The other crumbs just stuck in the mesh and were a pain to clean out. I think they were from the container store and were starting to rust.

With the bamboo dividers, we can just take them out and hold them over the trash and shake. I think they were from the Container Store, but they look identical to the BB&B ones others have posted. They look nice, and are not only available in the expandable type, but as separate pieces.

We have them for setting-the-table flatware:

for-use-near-stove flatware & gadgets:

for wooden spoons & ladles & things next to the stove:

and another one that is on the other side of the stove that isn't sure what it wants to be when it grows up:

They are better looking than the plastic ones I got long ago, which keeps our "junk drawer" a bit sorted!

• Sharimac
    11 years ago

Love all the fabulous flatware! And the drawer dividers too.

Bellsmom,

Where did you get all your pour spouts? Those look like good ones!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Sharimac--
    The pour spouts come on large bottles of olive oil (aka EVOO here on GW) from Trader Joe's. I simply cannot throw them away.
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?
    If not, I'll send you a couple.

Let me know.
    Sandra

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Sharimac--Try a restaurant supply store. They are open to the public and should sell these individually. DH works for one, and I love the pour spouts he brings home for me. They are very inexpensive, too!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

MJ,

Thanx for the great post. Always interesting to see the input on how others have organized their drawers.

tmy

• steph2000
    11 years ago

This is fun eye candy.

I'm with Red Lover, though. It's one of the riddles of the sphinx - how does a silverware drawer get so darn icky when it is closed all the time, except when putting clean silverware back in or grabbing a quick fork? Better yet, how does one prevent it? A 3 mile overhang?

• tishawilliams
    11 years ago

I am new to this website and it is amazing!!

Zelmar - you said you got your bamboo boxes from BBB, do you mind telling me what that stands for?

Thanks everyone!

• bons
    11 years ago

Bed Bath & Beyond.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

I love my wire mesh dividers from BB&B!

Utensil drawer:

Junk drawer:

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I used a Rev-a-shelf for the flatware - originally planned on a 2 layer system but this works fine.
    For the knife drawer - love the insert - I hated the one that came with the drawer.
    2 21 inch drawers

flatware only

Knives only - Wusthoff insert

Junk drawer - several modifications since the picture

• jwm211
    11 years ago

a2gemini, what is your granite called? Love it!

• jwm211
    11 years ago

a2gemini, what is your granite called? Love it!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

JWM
    It is Cambria buckingham
    The newer quartz is amazing.
    If you go to a2gemini final reveal - you can see the rest of the kitchen. I am on my phone or woul link to it