Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Bonus cabinet - what do I do with it - lets get creative!

rebeccamomof123
11 years ago

It turns out, I will have an extra spot for a big cabinet that my GC has offered to build whatever type of shelving I want in it. It's long, narrow and fairly shallow. It used to be like a spices and canned good "pantry". It was originally going to be ripped out because it is next to a wall that was removed, but it's in the corner and is apparently acting as a bit of an anchor for the support beam above it. Since it has to stay, my GC says he'll build whatever I want out of it.

So here is my chance for something fun and unexpected. A cool spot that I can show off and say, look what's inside here - isn't that cool! So wht do I do with it? A key and mail clostet? A hidden spot to charge and store cell phones? A broom closet? Broom was otherwise going to go at the top of the stairs down to the basement off the kitchen. Here is similar to the shape/size:

Traditional Laundry Room design by Indianapolis Kitchen And Bath Great Kitchens & Baths

Am i missing something that would be really convenient to have?

I need ideas! Best idea wins and I will be sure to credit you at the reveal!!!

Comments (13)

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I'd go for a broom closet. The easier it is to get out the better in my opinion. From somebody who wishes she had one.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

- Broom closet
    - Folding stepstool storage
    - Spices
    - "Cantry"
    - Message/recharging center
    - Wall-mounted TV or iPad if the doors aren't in the way when open
    - Aprons
    - Fold-down ironing board

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Where is this space? I am not sure if the pic before was an inspiration pic or your space

• artemis78
    11 years ago

Broom cabinet--I love ours! (It was the one feature from our old 1930s kitchen that we had to have in the new one, too.) If you want a little pizzazz to it, you can do the hidden ironing board or put an outlet in it so that you can store cordless vacs and such in there. (We did that with ours but then ended up switching which side was for brooms and which was for pantry items, so never use the plug--someday I'll come up with something to plug in there!)

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope - it was just to give an idea of size/vision. It was from houzz.

the bottom pic shows the actual spot - pardon the mess! (now you can see why I was so desperate for a remodel!)

My old "cantry" is the long skinny slotted knotty pine door. The rest of that wall where the fridge is, is now gone but that right corner is where the new cabinet will be. It's depth goes to about where my daughter's artwork is hung. The brick facade will be gone and on that wall is going to be chalkboard paint like this (only right on the wall vs/ cabinet):

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by San Francisco General Contractor Dijeau Poage Construction

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Sorry I still don't know where you're talking about. With this picture the right corner is where the brick is. Are you saying it will be behind the slotted pine door and oriented in that direction and about a foot deep?

Hard to give you ideas about what to use it for when we don't know what you already have planned elsewhere, spice, pantry, shrunken head collection, broom, etc.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Did you see Kiko's reach in pantry? I bet angels sing when she opens the doors to this uber organized space!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0219311120142.html?12

Forgot to mention in my previous post, it would help if you could post your layout. Is that possible?

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is layout pics...they don't do it justice but the skinny cab to the right of the stove is already a spice pull out.

Island - To re-orient you - you were right - it will be behind the slotted pine door, oriented in that direction and will be about about a foot deep. The new kitchen layout does not really represent the space accurately.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and one more...but some minor things have changes since this printout...(microwave is going above the range)

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

+1 for broom closet! With shelves above for cleaning supplies.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Broom and vacuum - you don't want to have to run down to the basement every time you want to sweep crumbs! Maybe not super cool, but useful.

• cathy725
    11 years ago

I'd do the broom closet in the bottom portion and have shelves up above it with the charging station/key rack or whatever else you want to put in there. I'm putting in a charging station and I'm really excited about it. It will be small, but should be enough to hold all those phones/ipods to be charged.

You could also do a magnetic/white/or chalk board on the inside of the door if it would work for you. (I'm looking for ways to hide the clutter and calendars etc in my new kitchen, but my kids are older now).

• ControlfreakECS
    11 years ago

Do you have a lot of cookbooks? You could do a book cabinet like mine, only behind a door (or not, I don't know all the structural requirements).

Here is a link that might be useful: Image of book cabinet about 15 posts down thread