Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlsmom

Modest kitchen makeover - reveal

karlsmom
10 years ago

Hi folks -

I appreciate this Kitchen forum more than I can say. I think I read every single message thread.

Things I learned from the forum:

Don't be afraid of white cabinets!
Cabinets to the ceiling.
Level A granite is less expensive than solid surface.
Drawers!
There is so much more out there to choose from than
what is available at the big box stores.
Ordering online is usually very successful -
you can get much better prices.
Super Susan
Bookcase on back of island.
Don't feel like you have to "keep up with the Jones'";
do what you can afford. Do what you like, not what
other people urge you to do - you will have to live
with your kitchen, not them.

Details:

-Haas Homestead Heartland Maple cabinetry,
Whipped Cream on the perimeter, Java stain on the Island.
-Azul Platino granite (Level A)
-Giagni Almost Zero undermount sink GSAZ250
-Hardware House 544478 Lighting Fixture above sink
-Ceiling lights: Whitfield Lighting ESFM55-16AWSS
-Elkay LK7922SSS Allure Stainless Kitchen Faucet, Satin
-Fasade Rib in Brushed Nickel Kitchen Backsplash Panels
-GE Profile Series 30" Free-Standing Double Oven Range with Convection PB950SFSS
-Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher Model #: WDT710PAYM
-Broan Undercabinet Range Hood Model #: 413004

I'm not too happy about keeping the old fridge
(GE Profile purchased in 1997), but DH insisted.
Of course it will die at the least convenient time possible.

This whole process has taken almost a year. The local
cabinetmaker put us off twice, I went to Lowes, wasn't
happy there, then went to High Caliber Cabinetry of
Sellersburg IN. They did a perfect job. We had
Trademark Universale Stone of Louisville KY for the
granite. They did a pretty good job. My DH did the
plumbing, electrical, painting and backsplash. Total cost: around $15,000.

Before pics:

After:

This post was edited by karlsmom on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 15:02

Comments (29)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Such a bright kitchen! I'll bet you love it every time you step into it. You have a lot of space to enjoy.

Congrats!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Lovely! What a nice change! Your backsplash is so interesting and unusual, really cool. I like the ribs a lot. LOVE your bookshelf too!

• smiling
    10 years ago

love the Azul platino with those backsplash panels, great combo! Also like the way your hardware looks equally fab on both the light and dark cabinets. Great job!

• lisa_a
    10 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! Love the ribbed texture of your backsplash tiles! You did a great job of camouflaging the electric outlets, too, so that the tile is the star.

I love the bookcase on the back of the island. I'm thinking about doing something like that, too, so thanks for sharing your kitchen with us!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Love that backsplash! I really like seeing the before & after pics. Your "after" is lovely. I love the java island of drawers. The hardware looks great. Your research really paid off. I had to scroll back to even find your white frig so it's definitely not unattractive.
    The only bad thing about staying on GW after your kitchen is done is realizing you missed something. Darn, I don't have a bookshelf on my island.
    Congratulation, a job superbly done.

• karlsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, I am thrilled with the new kitchen! We lived with the old one for 15 years, it was yuck. The island was a black hole where everything got lost, the cabs had stiles, were worn out, and were dark inside. The drawers had horrid side mounted slides that grated when you opened or closed them.

I forgot a couple of things:

The pulls are Amerock AM55343G10. We chose these pulls because they projected out from the cabinets quite a bit.

I got Wood Hollow drawer inserts, and am thrilled with them.

I just love my new white dishes -

It's so nice to have the knives off the counter. Wustof 14 slot knife drawer storage:

An interesting bit of the granite. You can't see it in the picture, but the granite has sparkling silver bits.

• Melenie5
    10 years ago

Lovely kitchen! I'm stealing the island cookbook bookshelf idea, too. Taking the cabinets all the way to the ceiling looks great and adds that much more storage for seldom used items.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Great job! Love the backspalsh - super cool looking and very unique. I also really love that hardware!

• karlsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind comments! Here's a close up of the backsplash - Fasade Brushed Nickle Rib. An easy DIY.

This post was edited by karlsmom on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 18:20

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Lovely! Can you switch the swing of the fridge doors? My understanding is that that is a fairly simple thing to do, and, at least from the angle of the photo, seems like it would be way more convenient to have the doors swing the other way.

• karlsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carrieb, that's the plan when we get a new fridge. I'm considering another white fridge with a stainless handle. DH refuses to consider changing this one.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Thanks for the close up of your handles. They are nifty!

I really like what you did, with the touches of silver in the counter, the grey, black and white, and especially the backsplash. It looks awesome -- I bet that will surprise a few folks!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

karlsmom, I love your kitchen! My kitchen had a modest makeover too but you managed to do more for less. You are so lucky to have a handy DH!!! Your kitchen's transformation is like night and day. I love your backsplash, so unique. Good job!!!

• tinker1121
    10 years ago

Very nice!! Love the backsplash too and the granite.

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

Wonderful. I am sure you will LOVE the bookcase. Great idea.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I had your old cabinets too, right down to the little fence around the top.

• ardcp
    10 years ago

what a great kitchen! it's heartening to know someone else with a smaller budget can successfully transform their kitchen! are you pleased with your Haas cabinets? where did you get your granite from?
    kudos to you for doing all the backbreaking work yourselves as well!

• MrsShayne
    10 years ago

Looks amazing!! Congrats! Btw, I love how you summed up what you learned on here! :)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wonderful! I recognized those lovely handles right away, I wanted to use them but they just didn't work right with my stuff. Please tell DH he did a great job too!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Lovely! What a transformation. Especially love the interiors of your cabinets and your all white dishes (what fun), your beautiful granite, and the contrasts between your floor/island/countertop/perimeter cabinets.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

What a great reveal! I love that you started out with things that you learned. There are some good words of wisdom there!

It's a beautiful transformation. I like the granite. And that backsplash really is cool...I had to go play a while on their website, interesting stuff to think about! Thanks for including the details for that.

It all looks wonderful. Job well done.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Great choices: the backsplash, granite, handles, cabinets, and even your white fridge look great together! Congratulations!

• Stephanie S
    10 years ago

It has such a cleaner/crisper feel! Nice job!

• xc60
    10 years ago

Such a lovely lovely kitchen. A beautiful space. I was wondering if you would be able to share with me the width of your upper doors on either side of the sink?

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Beautifully done! Congrats!

• rockybird
    10 years ago

I like how you changed the island color from the rest of the kitchen. I also really like the granite, backsplash and hardware. Great job!

• deedles
    10 years ago

I heart your open shelves on the island! Backsplash is very cool, too. The whole kitchen looks great and thanks for the interior drawer/cabinet shots!!

• karlsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

xc60 - the left upper is a 27" cab; the doors are 13". The right upper is 29", the doors are 14".