Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Quartz & yellowing

krycek1984
11 years ago

Does anyone have any info concerning light quartz yellowing? We love Stellar Snow from Silestone...but I am very afraid that over time, UV rays will start to yellow the resin binding the material. Our windows in the kitchen are north facing with an east facing half french door.

We are spending significant money (to us) on our kitchen and hoping the cabinets last 20-25 years (with a possible refinish somewhere in there) and would like the counters to last that long. I would just want to cry though if the quartz started to get a yellowish tinge. I prefer granite because we are kidn of messy and careless, and our current granite tile countertop is bulletproof (I cut on it, put hot pans on it, nothing comes close to damaging it). But I love the sparkly look of the Stellar Snow quartz.

Stanly

Comments (12)

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

How new are your windows? I believe most modern windows block a significant amount of UV rays. I know you aren't supposed to use quartz outside because of the UV issue, but for all the comments I've read about quartz yellowing, I've not actually read an account where someone said it actually happened (in their kitchen). Maybe it's too new and that's something that takes decades to happen? I don't know. I do know we just ordered off-white quartz countertops for our very bright south and east exposure kitchen and the least of my worries is the UV situation. After all, I'm not getting a sunburn from standing in my kitchen nor have I noticed fading on any of the fabrics in my banquette area.

• caliente63
    11 years ago

> As for placing hot items on the counter, this will most likely
    > scortch the quartz

That is a myth. I did an experiment to test this. I heated a 12" cast iron skillet to over 500F, than placed it on a 12" square of pale quartz countertop. Not a mark. I had to use a plumber's blowtorch (over 1,000F) at close range to get scorching.

All that said, I would not take a searing hot skillet and put it on any type of counter. Right now we have old-school tile counters, which is one of the few surfaces that can take extreme heat without damage, but I still wouldn't do it.

The bottom line is that you can put your pasta pan full of boiling water on your quartz countertop without scorching it. Like stone, there is a risk you might crack the countertop due to local expansion (quartz is less vulnerable than stone, but it is certainly not immune).

(Note for the sharp-eyed - yes, I opened a new account under a new name.)

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I learned to cook in this kitchen so I just had always put it right on the countertop because it just isn't an issue. Plus we have an electric range right now so I have to take the pans off the range very quickly when food is done cooking to prevent overcooking so I just plop it down on the counter.

I don't necessarily plan on cutting on the countertop or putting pans directly on it all the time, but I would like the comfort of knowing that if I need to once in a while, or I forgot and just plop a knife through a tomato one time, that my countertop isn't ruined.

We are lazy and slip-ups will happen. At least I can openly admit it lol.

We will have new windows in the kitchen.

I'm just afraid of yellowing but that is a good point that the windows should filter out a fair majority of the UV hitting the counters.

• caliente63
    11 years ago

> I would like the comfort of knowing that if I need to once in a while,
    > or I forgot and just plop a knife through a tomato one time, that my
    > countertop isn't ruined

That's another test I did: I took a cheap serrated table knife and sawed vigorously on the quartz sample, pressing hard. I managed to make a small silver mark, which was simply metal from the knife wearing off. The mark wiped off quite easily, leaving no visible damage to the quartz.

Bear in mind that a solid granite counter is not the same as granite tiles. I think the risk of cracking if you put a searing hot pan on solid granite is higher than it is for granite tile.

If you are getting a gas or induction cooktop, you won't need to move hot pans onto your counters. Otherwise, get a trivet.

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We hear everyday from people claiming to UV Damage to their quart countertop including brands like Caesarstone, LG, Cambria, Silestone, Quantum quartz etc.

The facts are the UV or a spectrum of UV light that is omitted from various light sources including sunlight accelerates the reaction of soaps, salt and surfactant contained in 99% of all multi surface cleaners. Also if you live within 5 miles of a salt water body of water. E.G ocean, tidal creek or river. This will also cause the yellow stain, yellowing of quartz in the lighter colours.

Why does yellow stains occur on Quartz?

Yellow staining of any lighter coloured quartz occurs from when any high pH cleaners are used frequently e.g. 99% of off the shelf cleaner are a pH of more than 10. Which is the same pH or corrosiveness as drain cleaner.

Windex has a pH over 12 which is more corrosive and contains more corrosive salts than oven cleaner. All will eventually dull and damage any stone. But will damage quartz countertops more and in less time.

Why? Quartz is not from a volcano basically. It is not as dense as granite, not formed at temperatures more than 1000 degrees C. It is not natural and is subject to various additives, ingredients that make quartz for the use of countertops or work surfaces.

What is a Quartz Countertops yellow stain?

Stains on Quartz of lighter colours, polished, marble look, matte, suede, rugged or any other finish are all effected.

Over time (usually 4-6 years of use, though seen within 18 months on new marble look quartz) the stone/quartz has a reaction with salts, soap and surfactants contained in 99% of all multi surface cleaners. Turning any lighter coloured quartz yellow over time.

You can easily tell how yellow your quartz countertop has become. By getting a new sample of your brand of quartz and comparing it to your quartz countertop. To see how much yellowing has occurred. You will be surprised who much colour difference there is.

The most common yellow stains on any quartz brand countertop are the following;

1) General yellowing to the entire quartz surface due to build up of salts & surfactants

2) Around under mounted sinks - due to salts & surfactants in dish soaps. High pH

3) high use & cleaned area.

4) Under coffee machines

5) under pot plants on the quartz countertop

6) under dish mats or drying mats near the sink

7) under fish tanks.

All of the above allow the salts & surfactants to form and generate the quartz countertops causing the yellow or light brown staining. As you will notice that UV light does not generate dish mats, under fish tanks and also pot plants. Whilst UV light can accelerate the yellow staining to white quartz countertops. IT IS NOT THE CAUSE!

Of special note:

Any region between the tropic of Capricorn and the tropic of cancer where high humidity is present or you are within 5-7 miles of a salt water body, or are using treated or untreated artisan water. This will also accelerate the yellow staining to white or light coloured quartz countertops. No matter the brand or finish. All brands are affected including the popular brands such as MSI, QStone, Stone Ambassador, Caesarstone, Silestone, LG Viatera etc. Hence the TDS (total devolved salts) in the air are the issue.

Where does yellow stains occur on Quartz countertop?

The most common yellow stains on any quartz brand countertop are the following;

1) General yellowing to the entire quartz surface due to build up of salts & surfactants

2) Around under mounted sinks - due to salts & surfactants in dish soaps. High pH

3) high use & cleaned area.

4) Under coffee machines

5) under pot plants on the quartz countertop

6) under dish mats or drying mats near the sink

7) under fish tanks.

All of the above allow the salts & surfactants to form and generate the quartz countertops causing the yellow or light brown staining. As you will notice that UV light does not generate dish mats, under fish tanks and also pot plants. Whilst UV light can accelerate the yellow staining to white quartz countertops. IT IS NOT THE CAUSE!

When does yellow staining on Quartz occur?

Usually yellow staining to white quartz countertops or any lighter colour quartz if not cleaned correctly and all the surfaces at least once per week. White or light colour Quartz stone countertops WILL YELLOW STAIN over time.

Generally the older colours or standard colours like Caesarstone White Shimmer, Ice Snow etc it is between 4 - 6 years. At this time the difference is quite dramatic, as this is why most people realise the issue.

On the newer marble look ranges, we see PATCHING of yellow or brownish stains to quartz stone countertops including all the major brands. Yellow stains will look like the stone has gone patchy. We also note that Caesarstone are aware of the issue with the marble look ranges. Caesarstone have changed their general information to reflect this by the term “PATINA”. Which is something applied to metal not stone. It is metal ageing and oxidising. Stone does not and will never oxide.

It is obvious that the term “PATINA” now applied to quartz stone surfaces produced by Caesarstone is to combat the YELLOW STAINS occurring on Caesarstone and any other quartz stone surface. Also everything that Caesarstone is recommending to clean their stone surfaces is high in pH full of salts and surfactants. Caesarstone and all other quartz manufactures are aware of the issues of yellow stains to quartz countertops and the cause.

To stop the yellow staining, you must

1) Clean with a neutral cleaner made for stone

2) Use a cleaner that has no soap, surfactants or salts in it.

3) Use a nano or microfibre cloth.

The only known cleaners that clean, kill germs are the following

1) Stone Power Cleaner

2) a solution of methylated Spirits & Water at a ratio of 50/50.

Note: that we recommend you use a high quality microfibre that is 380gsm and knitted. Yes all microfibres are not equal. Our Nano Cleaning cloth or something like the mothers mcirofibre cloths are of this quality.

How do you clean yellow stains from Quartz, Caesarstone, Silestone etc?

We must say we have seen it all, and heard it all!

The facts are that a yellow stain on a Quartz stone countertop that is listed above is NOT A STAIN! - it is DAMAGE to the quartz caused by corrosive chemicals that are salts & surfactants. Simple answer is be careful what you use or what advise you get.

Yellow staining to white or lighter colour quartz countertops can be fully removed, without damage to any quartz brand of finish.

Quartz Refresh is the only product on the market that works, fully restores the stone back to the original colour and finish.

So to clean the yellow or brownish stain to white quartz countertops is not easy as it is damage. Bar Keepers Friend, VIM, Gumption, Ajax powder cleaner, magic erasers, bleach or any other home brew, forum recommendation WILL NOT WORK!.

Sometimes you can be lucky that the damage (yellow stain in white quartz) is not that deep. Yes it can be removed by some or all of the above cleaning products.

Though they work by sanding the surface, they will sand away the yellow stain or damage. But it will also change the surface finish, meaning that the polish is now sanded.

It would be like sanding away a mark on the paint of your car. Yes it will remove it, but it will also make it dull, not polished etc.

Why the other way of fully removing the yellow staining to white quartz countertops other than using Quartz Refresh is to “GRIND” the surface down past the damage.

Whilst this is effective, it is a messy, requires a lot of time and money to have done.

But the most critical issue is that the factory finish can not be restored fully.

On stone and especially quartz to get back the factory polish on the stone is EXTREMELY difficult, but can be done by a select few.

How to avoid yellow stains on quartz countertops, caesarstone or any brand?

To stop the yellow staining, you must

1) Clean with a neutral cleaner made for stone

2) Use a cleaner that has no soap, surfactants or salts in it.

3) Use a nano or microfibre cloth.

The only known cleaners that clean, kill germs are the following

1) Stone Power Cleaner

2) a solution of methylated Spirits & Water at a ratio of 50/50.

Note: that we recommend you use a high quality microfibre that is 380gsm and knitted. Yes all microfibres are not equal. Our Nano Cleaning cloth or something like the mothers mcirofibre cloths are of this quality.

How to remove yellow stains on white quartz countertops

We must say we have seen it all, and heard it all!

The facts are that a yellow stain on a Quartz stone countertop that is listed above is NOT A STAIN! - it is DAMAGE to the quartz caused by corrosive chemicals that are salts & surfactants. Simple answer is be careful what you use or what advise you get.

Yellow staining to white or lighter colour quartz countertops can be fully removed, without damage to any quartz brand of finish.

Quartz Refresh is the only product on the market that works, fully restores the stone back to the original colour and finish.

https://stonebenchtopcleaner.com.au/stain-caesarstone-yellowing-dull-marks-polish/quartz-refresh-caesarstone-yellow-stain.html

So to clean the yellow or brownish stain to white quartz countertops is not easy as it is damage. Bar Keepers Friend, VIM, Gumption, Ajax powder cleaner, magic erasers, bleach or any other home brew, forum recommendation WILL NOT WORK!.

Sometimes you can be lucky that the damage (yellow stain in white quartz) is not that deep. Yes it can be removed by some or all of the above cleaning products.

Though they work by sanding the surface, they will sand away the yellow stain or damage. But it will also change the surface finish, meaning that the polish is now sanded.

It would be like sanding away a mark on the paint of your car. Yes it will remove it, but it will also make it dull, not polished etc.

Why the other way of fully removing the yellow staining to white quartz countertops other than using Quartz Refresh is to “GRIND” the surface down past the damage.

Whilst this is effective, it is a messy, requires a lot of time and money to have done.

But the most critical issue is that the factory finish can not be restored fully.

On stone and especially quartz to get back the factory polish on the stone is EXTREMELY difficult, but can be done by a select few.

https://stonebenchtopcleaner.com.au/stain-caesarstone-yellowing-dull-marks-polish/quartz-refresh-caesarstone-yellow-stain.html

Yellow staining from salts & surfacts

If you check around the yellowing is a common issue with the use of the incorrect advise and cleaning solutions. This is what causes the yellow stains to any quartz countertop.

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/caesarstone

• pattersonfarm
    3 years ago

I can only find the Quartz Refresh from a supplier in Australia and the shipping is $60 while the product is $40. Any US suppliers? My 7 year old stark white quartz countertops are yellowing.

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

$40 is for the sample pack, you will need the kit to restore the stone, pattersonfarm

• Nancy Duchesneau
    2 years ago

Don't bother trying to order Quartz Refresh. They'll take the order and your money and then never ship it to you if you're in the U.S. They also completely ignore your e-mails and won't refund you when you ask for it 3 months after ordering. I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company to get the money back.

• Kimberly Curran
    last year

Is the whole "fading of quartz" from sunlight bullshit? I've scoured the internet, I can't find ONE actual picture of a quartz countertop faded or yellowed by sunlight

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Kimberly:

Engineered stone fabricators are prohibited from storing estone outside without UV protection by manufacturers. That should tell you all you need to know.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    last year

I am a fabricator. In 20 years I have seen a few cases of quartz discoloring but it is rare. If you really want peace of mind stay with natural stone.