Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

Streak-free SS refrigerator

kaismom
14 years ago

Is there such a thing? I have SS DW and it streaks like crazy and I hate it. I am looking at Thermador/Miele paneled over/under frig. If I can get SS that does NOT streak, I will consider it to save $$$.

I like the flat front of Bosch and Electrolux. I do not want rounded contour on the door at all.

Anyone want to chime in about the streaks on the SS frig?

Comments (10)

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I'm dreading the decision on which refrigerator to buy for the same reasons. I think the Bosch finish nice, but they only make the SxS with ice/water in the door. Frigidare professional also seems to have a nice finish, but again they only seem to have SxS with ice/water in the 36" size.

My dream refrigerator is a 36" single door bottom freezer CD - with a nice finish and a decent capacity.

I may consider panels just to avoid the streaks and fingerprints.

• positano
    14 years ago

I have a kitchenaid ss fridge, dishwasher and wine fridge. I was getting lots of streaks when I used the ss products. Once I changed to microfiber cloths and water it looks amazing most of the time. I wipe it down with a damp microfiber and follow with a dry one. I always keep the dry one above the fridge.

People come into the kitchen and ask what my secret is for the ss. And I have two young kids with messy, messy hands!

Give it a try!

• squigs
    14 years ago

I have the electrolux fridge, and it looks beautiful most of the time. I find NOT using the stainless products and only using a slightly soapy sponge and microfiber cloth to dry keeps it streak free. the smudges or water marks from the icemaker are easily wiped with a microfiber cloth. It's really shiny and pretty and easy!

However, it's just DH and I here. When we had our grandkids here for the weekend, there were lots of little fingerprints. That would get really tiresome to wipe all the time. For that reason, I don't recommend stainless to anyone with little kids (and even probably big kids!)

• keptoz
    14 years ago

I have a Kenmore fridge & a Frigidaire DW - probably a bit lower end than you were looking for, but both came with special coatings that claimed to help with streaks. I've had both for 3 yrs & I have to say, I rarely have streaks & that's with 3 kids aged 3-12. I just purchased a Frigidaire Professional SS stove & that coating was definitely a factor in narrowing down my choices.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

The only SS appliance I have that streaks is my KA DW...and it's b/c water drips down it.

None of my other appliances...refrigerator, warming drawer, ovens, MW...have streaks. I think it's the nature of how the DW is used that promotes streaks.

As a matter of fact, I rarely have fingerprints either...I think this is in part due to the cleaner/polish I use...I use the Weiman SS Cleaner/Polish in the silver can (not the wipes). When I cannot find the Weiman, I use Pledge in the brown can...both clean easily and seem to discourage future fingerprints. Oh, I do use a microfiber cloth as well!

I have a GE Profile refrigerator, but it has the curved contour door, not the flat.

• squigs
    14 years ago

like buehl, I also have the KA DW and yes, there's always the wet hands problem. What I've done is I use the handle of the DW to hang a microfiber towel, and that keeps it mostly dry but, when I do drip, the towel is right there to wipe it, so no streaks!

• leel
    14 years ago

All my appliances are ss, and all from different mfrs. NONE of them streak.

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips regarding the stainless. I can see the smudges on the new MW from the living room if the light is just right, sigh...

Some of the Samsung frigs have the stainless look without it being stainless and thus no fingerprints. I don't remember how the front looked tho...

• L H
    14 years ago

SS products always left streaks on the refrigerator. A cleaning woman gave me a tip to use window cleaner. It works mostly with a little elbow grease.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Be sure when you clean SS that you wipe with the "grain" and not against it...