Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Peg Dividers In Base Drawyers, Yes Or No

sandy808
12 years ago

I know this has been discussed before, but I typed in all sorts of things trying to do a search and came up empty handed. The search for previous discussions does not seem to work as well as before......

We're in the final stages of finishing my kitchen. My cabinets are scheduled to be installed sometime next week. Our cabinet maker has asked all the sizes of glassware that I have (which is quite varied) so that they can custom make all the peg storage.

I have huge misgivings about committing to a specific location for our glasses, since it seems that once actually living in the house things get moved a couple of times until that sweet spot is found. It is difficult for me to figure that out initially, and usully move things around somewhat.

I'm quite worried about having holes in drawyers that I may want to use for something else. Particularly holes and pegs designed around my current glasses, which could change if they broke, wore out, and were no longer availble.

Are the peg storage systems worth it, or will a drawyer liner material work just as well for keeping the glasses from sliding around and possibly breaking?

I've got to decide by tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Sandy

Comments (15)

• leela4
    12 years ago

I have glasses, plates, bowls, mugs, etc. in drawers with no pegs. I do have cushy cupbosrds liners. Nothing moves around at all, and I have rearranged things more than once to get to a system that works best for me.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Same here. I thought I would need pegs in my dishware drawer, but am actually glad I didn't get them. Put cushy cupboard liner down and you have the option to move things around without moving pegs. Someone else may have a good reason to have pegs, I'm fine without them.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

One of the problems with the peg system is that it produces a lot of unused odd spaces. I looked into them and decided to try going without. My lower drawers are chock full of breakables including items stuck between other items. Nothing moves around. I am terrifically impressed. Gotta have good hardware though.

• cardamon
    12 years ago

I don't have pegs either. I put down cork from Williams Sonoma and it works great for me. I keep plates, bowls and mugs in my drawers. The pegs look nice and I thought I was missing out on them but I can readjust and not worry about hitting holes to fit in space. HTH.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Same here. I thought I would need pegs in my dishware drawer, but am actually glad I didn't get them. Put cushy cupboard liner down and you have the option to move things around without moving pegs. Someone else may have a good reason to have pegs, I'm fine without them.

• billy_g
    12 years ago

I'll be different and say that we LOVE having the peg dividers in our drawers, but maybe it has more to do with the dish drawers (near the dishwasher) than the pegs themselves. But I have to say after reading this I'm thinking about taking them out and putting down cushy drawer liners. The pegs do remind you where things go when the drawer is empty. Photos below.
    Billy

Dish drawer near dishwasher:

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Don't have them here and don't need them. We have all our dishes, glasses, pots, etc... in drawers and nothing gets jostled. The soft close feature may be the reason...YMMV

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Are there any other people who love their peg board in their dish drawer? Or people who have tried it and ended up removing them?

Also, any specific cushy lining people can recommend? Just curious.

We are in the final stages also and I am ordering an insert for my knives and am on the fence about the peg board. I suppose I can just wait until we are moved in, try the dish drawer without and see if I think it is neccesary or not. The common response is - they are not needed and lead to wasted space - yes?

• rosegarden1
    12 years ago

We have been looking at them carefully because there are times when you want to segment at least portions of a drawer in a flexible manner.

Our biggest turn-off has been the holes that can attract and keep dust and dirt.

Still haven't found the solution yet, but I am convinced, as others have said, that the more you go to the commercial organization solutions, the more space you end up losing! :)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

If you're a minimalist and you like things put into their places, go for it. If you always want to work in one more odd item into a drawer or closet or cupboard, pegs won't let you. I can definitely put more into my drawers because there are not pegs.

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

No one has mentioned the Blum Orga-Line adjustable plate holders. Advantages: adjustable, you can pull out whole stacks of plates/bowls without reaching all the way to the bottom. Just another option to consider.

Re: the "unused odd spaces" complaint, by definition you'll have odd spaces when you place large round objects in a rectangular space. I guess the pegs probably enlarge the odd spaces. :)

• cribbs
    11 years ago

When it first came out we did a lot of them in our cabinets but we too found that they are not as good as we thought. They waste space and prefer either the blum product listed above or nothing.

Travis Alfrey
    Pinehurst, NC

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Cushy Cupboards is the liner I have - lots of people on this board recommend them. That's fine, but if I stack plates too tall, the top ones slide around. They don't slide into other stacks of plates, but then I haven't crammed my plates in.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

The cheap version of the BLUM is the IKEA Variera. I've never used them but they look pretty slim-line, like they wouldn't take up much room in the drawer, which would be nice. They're adjustable too. We plan on getting some as a flexible plate-holder option.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022