Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krabbypatty_gw

Do you use your kitchen desk?

krabbypatty
14 years ago

I always wanted a kitchen desk, but now that I have one we rarely use it. When we do desk work in the kitchen we use the table or island and laptop. And, we have a large, fully equipped office next to the family room (just a 15' from straight shot from the kitchen). Planning a mini-remodel and considering changing the desk area into a 38" wide reach-in pantry, and merging the existing, smaller pantry closet into the mudroom area (which is sorely lacking in space).

Did anyone ditch the desk and miss it? Do you love/hate/never use/always use yours? Will I hurt resale value?

Comments (21)

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

My kitchen is not done yet, but I did put a desk in, but I am afraid all it will be is my clutter catcher- I like your idea of turning it into a pantry, I wouldn't think it would hurt resale value, everyone loves lots of pantry space. And since you have an office, I think you'd be okay-

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

Ditching the desk was first on my list as it was always a landing spot for junk. In fact, I took out the entire counter and made it floor to ceiling cabs/drawers plus appliances. The family is still looking for places to leave clutter...ha.. I took the two foot space at the end of the run of cabs (perpendicular to the length of cab/appliance run) and created a phone cubby with drawer, cab below, and wine rack above. THe phone cubby has doors that fold on each other and slide into the space next to the phone, but can be pulled out to close off the cubby and cover the mess.

• krabbypatty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rtorgy1--Thanks for the advice. Hoep your works for you. I'd probably use mine if the office wasn't so close by.
    lucypwd--woudl love to see your phone cubby area. If I do ditch teh desk, will need some ideas for message area, although that might go in mudroom space.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I ripped mine out--first thing to go actually. My husband couldn't get to it quick enough! In the early days it was nice because we had a computer on it and it was the only place that the kids could access the internet, so it was right there in plain view. But once they were older and our computer was put in another room--study next to family room, then nobody used this one anymore because it was really slow. So it turned into clutter central.

I also ripped out one of those pantry closets with the bi-fold doors, it was next to the desk. This is where I put my 48" sxs fridge flanked by 2 18" tall pantry cabinets with roll out shelves. I couldnt' be happier!

• vate
    14 years ago

Our desk is the last part of my DIY kitchen remodel - I'm working on it now. I am basically leaving the bottom alone (three drawers and a chair opening), but turning the upper half into a "kitchen info and entertainment center" by adding a hutch with shelves and a cabinet above it. It will include a permanently mounted 20" LCD for dual use (monitor or TV), the intercom central control, iPod connection and speakers, weather center, phone and computer.

And yes, it will probably still catch mail, keys and other stuff.

• joannaca
    14 years ago

I ALWAYS use my desk. I'm sitting at it right now. We do not have an extra room for an office, so I need that space. In our new home, the desk will be at counter height. It blends in, and I can pull the chair away and use it as regular 'kitchen' space when needed. I also will have garage style cabinets over the top to hide any clutter. I toyed with the idea of eliminating the desk this time around but decided I couldn't live without it.

• positano
    14 years ago

I agree with joannaca, if you do a desk do it counter height with room for a stool or a chair you can tuck under. I find myself always standing and doing things. With a desk I feel like I never want to take the time to actually sit down. If it was counter height I would definitely use it more.

• smiles81
    14 years ago

We are building and I just told my builder last week that I want a pantry wall instead of the desk area. In my house it would for sure become a dumping ground for clutter.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I had one at my last house and we used it occasionally. But at our new house I ditched it--opted for pantry cabinets (like many of those above). Our office is next door to the kitchen and between the mudroom entry and the kitchen. I have a feeling when I come in, I will dump my purse, the mail, other junk in the office then continue the next 5-6 steps to the kitchen. I felt like big cabinets was more useful.

Now one thing that I do think is useful is having a counter-height area where a computer can be used to quickly check a recipe, email off that last note while dinner is cooking, etc. But standing--not seated. That way you can fully use the cabinets below.

HP has a new interface with touch screen or something that a friend of mine has and they include schedules, grocery lists, recipes, etc on it--sounds very helpful, but again only the computer--not the desk area itself.

Technology has helped space planning tremendously as we no longer need a telephone jack, a computer plug or anything--all wi fi, cordless and stationless phones, no need for phone books, just Google it.

• festusbodine
    14 years ago

Yikes! Our cabinets just went in and there's no desk in the design. I wanted one, but the idea got nixed by my SO and my KD who said nobody uses them. I hadn't thought about doing one counter height. That might have sold them as it wouldn't interrupt the continuous flow of counter. The base cabinets in the spot I'd put them are somewhat unneeded because the kitchen is already very spacious with lots of cabinets. We are short on extra rooms to dedicate for an office. DANG! Woulda shoulda coulda!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our bungalow and kitchen remodel blog

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

This is the computer--it's compact, designed for easy use and specifically for the kitchen. Touchscreen. Cool! Wish I could get one but our office is on the other side of the wall from our kitchen, so really no need.

Here is a link that might be useful: HP Touchsmart

• krabbypatty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I'm thinking we don't need a kitchen desk--for the reasons I listed originally. I just needed some support and I got it here. Your feedback reminded me to be sure I DO plan for a message board, phone space, and mail drop.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

We tucked a mail/key drop into the hallway from the garage. It *is* cluttered, but it's out of site. View from mudroom/garage, with key drop on left:

Hard to photograph, but here it comes...

There is a bank of four drawers below.

• holligator
    14 years ago

I use mine, but I hardly ever sit at it. I suppose it's more of a message center than a desk, and in two years since the kitchen was finished, we've been fairly good at keeping the clutter to a minimum. I do need a spot to keep a shopping list, phone, calendar, and paper and pens for messages, so it serves its purpose well. It is counter-height, and I'm glad of that. I have a shelf for cookbook above it, a cabinet with a file box of appliance manuals above that, and a tiny cabinet for a small stepladder beneath it. I do like having the space for a stool under there, too, just because it gives us an extra one on those rare occasions that we need four.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

This is such a great question. I was excited to have a desk in my kitchen when I moved into my new home. Now I don't know what to do with it. I tried a computer there but it was inconvenient. I had a rolling cart built to fill the opening beneath...the guy did an awful job...I hate it and going to return it to the space like it was originally. Right now I have it set up as a coffee station with cups above and coffee makers on the counter...I haven't used the coffee makers there yet...so still up in the air.

• guppy_2009
    14 years ago

We use ours all the time. It is counter height with a centre drawer and 3 drawers on either side just like a traditional desk. The only thing is the centre drawer makes it difficult to sit at straight on but likem any others have said, we rarely 'sit' at it.
    The kids sit there and watch music videos while I'm making dinner, the touch screen computer makes it easy to listen to music, watch TV or check recipes as well as show photographs on a daily basis. Lists, quick notes....all that is done at the 'desk' area in our house. I love it!

• lauriec
    14 years ago

lucypwd, can you post pix of yours?

• willis13
    14 years ago

This is interesting... I'm putting a 5' desk into my kitchen, specifically so that I have ONE place to gather the clutter. I need a space for the calendar, mail, phone charger, stuff I'm (and the kids) working on on the kitchen table to go when we need to eat. Right now we don't have a good dumping spot, so crap gets dumped in about four places. I want one messy spot only! Then I can keep on top of it (ha), and hopefully design it to manage the crap neatly. Which is why I read this thread... need ideas for designing the thing. The underneath will also be a great spot for the cat's dishes :). I'm not anticipating sitting at it a whole bunch, unless it's whipping off a cheque or updating the calendar.

Now, I hadn't thought about counter height though... will have to think about that! It would make it better for storing an extra stool, and using as a bar/appetizer/whatever area if entertaining. Great idea!

• kelvar
    14 years ago

segbrown, I love your drop zone. Oh how I wish I had the space for something like that!

Our kitchen space was at a premium, we never used our desk area. It collected more clutter than anyone should have so it a goner with our remodel. We trimmed down our junk drawers and got realistic with what we needed to save, and surprise, are functioning quite well without all that space to clutter.

• ketinmd
    14 years ago

Got rid of mine in the remodel three years ago. haven't missed it.

• kaismom
    14 years ago

I have a desk a few steps away from the main kitchen. I think when it is NOT in the middle of the kitchen, it is more functional. I think most people need a little break from the kitchen and desk.

I keep my computer, telephone, calendar, shelves with family junk, drawers with file, shredder, pencil sharpner, pens/pencils, envelopes etc there. It is a mini office. It is related to the kitchen but is not a part of it. When the kids play on the computer, I can see what they are doing but they are not in the way of my cooking. I would not like my kids to be on the computer in an office where the door can be closed or where I can't see them easily. I suppose I could make them bring out the laptop to the kitchen... even so, our "office" is really far from the kitchen area, and not a practical space for the family operation central. I think it is really important that someone on the desk does not get in the way of the worker in the kitchen. If I did not have kids, I probably would not need this desk area.

I or my kids can be at the computer for a long time. I do not find it comfortable to be at a counter height for a long time. So I have it at desk height.

I think you have to assess how you would use a particular area and build for that need. For example, we as a family do not watch any TV during the week. The only TV we watch is on weekends and we watch movies on our home theater set up. So for us, TV in the kitchen would be a useless idea. For many, this is a very important part of what makes their kitchen functional. I don't see anyone worry about TV in the kitchen making a difference in the resale. I don't think kitchen desk will make enough of a difference when it comes to resale.

However, by putting in the kitchen desk creates a bad layout for the kitchen, it will make a difference when it comes to resale.