Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_ct

A Little overwhelmed...

patrick_CT
11 years ago

We are in the process of starting to plan our kitchen remodel and have to define our budget, but I had no idea what the cost of most of the appliances would be but I knew what we liked.
Now after looking around and reading on line, I am more lost than ever.
As a family we have 2 small kids (4.5 and 8 months) and my wife and I like to cook but are not really bakers. I like to, but it is hard to find time at the moment. Our house can support a high end kitchen and resale is definitely in the back of our minds as well as our current use.

What we want to get:
36" range top
double wall ovens (or single one with Advantium)
Counter depth french door fridge
36" Vent (only have a 5'run to the outside of the house.)
Very durable dishwasher.

We have a family member that can get the really good prices on the Monogram appliances (but I hate the look of their range top)

What we are thinking: (a lot based on the good price of the GE, but it would not have been my first choice)
Monogram: Professional 30' all oven and Advantium
Monogram french door fridge (it will be next to the oven's so it would match)
Monogram Range hood
Viking Range 36" range
Viking dishwasher (we really liked the feel and sturdiness of this in the show room, but now I have read some bad things)

Now after reading on this site there is a lot of talk about open burners being better (I do not know why)
I have also seen that the Monogram although it tries to play with the high end appliances, it is not really in the same league as the viking, wolf etc.

Any insight if the Monogram is really good equipment or should I look further?
Is the Viking rangetop as good choice compared to a Wolf or Bluestar, or Thermador.

Thanks,
Patrick

Comments (4)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Just wanted to mention that the gurus usually recommend a 42" hood over a 36" cooktop.

Did you check this out at the Appliance Forum? The usual mid-range oven that people seem to like is the Electrolux, in part because of the easy gliding racks. And I take it that you are sure you don't want induction.

• patrick_CT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ginny, I reposted this on the Appliance Forum. The people I got quotes from all used a 36".. so I did not think to question it.

Yes i want a gas cook top :)

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

My aunt has a Viking diswasher. It stinks. For budget reasons, we got the Kitchenaid. If I could do it over again, I would have gotten a Miele. From reviews to friends who have a Miele d/w, it's supposed to be the best. Bosch is supposed to be good. I heard good things about Kitchenaid but I'm less than thrilled with mine. Keeps saying I am out of salt, even though I keep adding it (we have hard water so we needed a dishwasher with a water-softening feature). Also, our d/w doesn't clean as well as did when it was brand new (it's a year old).

• rosie
    11 years ago

In planning for resale "someday," you might want to also consider trying to design in "updatablility."Make sure all spaces are large enough to slide out today's appliances and set in tomorrow's. What if the must-have dishwasher 4 years from now is half again as wide as today's standard (maybe it diapers the baby too or something)?

Look at the problem people who only have room for a 30" refrigerator face now. Of course, it'd have been really hard for someone just a few years ago to guess that the development of energy-efficient fridges was going to make a whole nation perversely decide it could afford bigger, much bigger, but that's the game. And the challenge. With climate change and energy prices that are likely to rise a lot more before we finally meet that challenge--someday--the game might eventually even be smaller as people decide that they don't really need to keep two dozen cans of soft drinks chilled at all times and that they really do need doors they can close to create easily heated spaces.

In any case, since change is a constant, flexibility's a good thing to keep in mind.