Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inspiredisabel

Not what I wanted... Is this handle placement wrong?

inspiredisabel
11 years ago

I was out doing my countertop placement this morning and even though I knew better, I left the hardware installation to my installer. We went over placement of everything yesterday and I left notes but this door was wrong. I wanted the handle on the rail and as you can see it isn't where it ended up. Does it look ok or should I have him patch and retouch the paint?

Comments (28)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I will be in the minority but I think it is in the right spot. That is where I would and did put mine.

• footballmom
    11 years ago

It would drive me nuts. It should not be on the panel. I looks like a mistake to me. Sorry.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks blfenton... I think it looks ok and I could probably live with it. But it irks me that it isn't what I specified.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

footballmom - Thanks! I know it will always probably bug me too but I'm afraid the patch and retouch route won't turn of perfect either. He already predrilled the two other doors that needed handles but this one door has the full size holes.

• User
    11 years ago

It's not wrong, or right. There's a lot of personal choice in knob and pull placement.

However, if that's a trash pullout, you want to add some type of backing to the panel behind where the screws go. It gets a lot of tugging, and placing the pull on the panel can (over time) cause the thinner panel to split. Just adding a small bit of painted plywood or solid stock glued on the back side will help with that. Yes, you'll need longer screws. That's not necessary with lesser used doors, but it's the safety precaution on the front end that lets you not worry about it ever.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

It would bug the bejesus out of me too. Reaching down that far to open a door isn't ergonomically comfortable for me. Plus, it somehow looks "off" to my eye. I'm not sure why. If you don't mind it, then keep it. Patching and painting mis-drilled holes in new cab doors would not make me happy though. I'd want new doors.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I empathize, my hardware is not exactly where I wanted either. Similar situation I arranged to be home, explained everything, had a diagram, but got called to the phone for a work crisis, came back and they had done three drawers wrong. I decided likewise, the patches would bother me more.
    It has been a month, sometimes, with a look, I see the wrong placement and it bugs me, but I don't actively regret the mistake or my decision to live with it.

• artemis78
    11 years ago

I like it there aesthetically, provided it matches the other doors. But I do think there are a couple of potential issues--first, like you said, it isn't what you specified. Second, what are your center panels made of, and what is behind them? We chose to have our trash pullout handle in this location, and it was a terrible idea. Our center panels are MDF and our trash pullout is hardware connected to the door rail (as opposed to our doors, which are wooden boxes connected to the drawer front). The screws from the handle started to crack the panel after a few weeks of use. (We had our drawer pulls in a similar location and had/have no issues there because the screws go into wood.) But the trash pullout had to go back to the shop to get repaired with the handle moved to the top rail, where it also looks fine. It's not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for (and barely then). Unless you have solid wood panels or this is connected to a wood box on the other side, I would think about this (maybe plywood would be okay, but I would still be nervous). So that's just something to think about--especially since you did not ask for it there!

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I didn't even think about the center panel being thinner and therefore possibly splitting. One of the doors is for trash the other two flanking the range have pull out drawers inside for pots and pans so they will be fairly heavy. Ugh.

This post was edited by inspiredisabel on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:43

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I don't care for the look of the pull in that location.

You told them to put the pull in a different location. They messed up and need to rectify their mistake. Filling and repainting is not an acceptable solution. They need to pay for a door replacement.

Unless you decide you can live with it (and the potential damage with this weaker placement).

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Sorry, I would have it moved. To my eye it does not look right and if in my kitchen I wouldn't like it every time I looked at it or opened it.

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

definitely move it.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all. I have my cabinet designer aware of what's happened and he is on standby to order new fronts if need be. We are going to see what it looks like after filled and painted.

So many mistakes in my kitchen I am just so frustrated now!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'd replace it.
    The panel weekness, the just odd placement, it's just not smart to me.
    It's a "what the hell were you thinking" thing that you can't say outloud.

Of course, if you guys talked about it, he needs to fix it.

I like your cabs and pulls, though.
    Don't poop out on the end details. This is when some are so tired they just go with stuff they wouldn't have tolerated a few months ago. Take a deep breath and get what you wanted.

Good luck with the patch. Hopefully it'll be that easy!

• pps7
    11 years ago

I would move it. Not sure how good a repair will look. I would have the contingency that if you are not happy with the repair then you want new doors.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I don't mind it but I agree it's on a weak spot.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Mine are like yours is. One reason is because our pull didn't fit on the rail for our dishwasher panel so we kept the trash done the same way for consistency.

I'm in the minority but I prefer the look as well. On drawers, we put pulls/knobs on the panel so what's the big deal for other spots?

trash:

dishwasher:

But, it's how YOU want it that matters : )

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Thank you! I really appreciate it : )

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

If it were a bin, I think it would be fine, but a door, no.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marti8a - it is a bin of sorts. The door pulls out straight on rails it isn't on hinges.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Looking at this again, I would still change it.
    I must, however, congratulate him on absolutely perfect placement.

• Catherine Roddick
    11 years ago

I like it where it is- I think it matches the above cabinet. But verify whether that is the best place as far as sturdiness.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

I am in the minority as well, but I actually like it there. Also, I think the rail looks too narrow for the pull to be there. Plus, the cup pull above it is in the panel as well. Agree that is would be a good idea to strengthen this area if you decide to leave it there.

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As far as sturdiness goes it probably isn't the best spot. There is nothing but the thin panel there and I wouldn't trust it for the long term. This is the door on the other side of the cabinet with the handle where I wanted it.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Well that last pic definitely settles it since it looks goofy if they don't match. So of course you need to change it.

I love your flooring btw!!

• inspiredisabel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Thank you, taggie! It was an 11th hour decision that I was actually kind of forced into but I absolutely love it now and am so happy we went the extra mile with it. Trying to save some money doesn't always work so well. ;)

Ps... we got it at Home Depot. :)

This post was edited by inspiredisabel on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 20:24

• elle0221
    11 years ago

I just finished my reno. When my installer put 2 knobs a tiny bit below what I asked for (he forgot I asked to align the base of the knob with the bottom of the rail), he said..I am sorry..I owe you 2 new doors. I didn't replace them - it didn't bother me, but I didn't even have to ask, he was going to do the right thing... he knew he didn't do what I asked for. Patching would not look good, I am afraid. Ask for replacement. Good luck. Your cabinets look beautiful.