Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

5th Burner and Griddle

secsteve
13 years ago

Does anyone have a range with the fifth burner? I've been looking at two models, one of which has the circular burner and the other an elliptical burner. I've got a cast iron griddle that I want to use and was wondering if the circular burner would be just as good as the elliptical one. The fellow I talked to at Lowes really wasn't very helpful at all.

Does anyone here have a range with a fifth burner and does the shape make a difference? I've been told that since my griddle is cast iron either one will work.

Comments (7)

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

I have the GE Cafe range with an elliptical center burner. I use it often and love it. I've been using it with the griddle that came with it. I think that I would rather have the elliptical with a griddle for even heating, but w/cast iron you could get away with either.

• vtlakehouse
    13 years ago

We have a regular round burner as the 5th burner. But we also have a cast iron griddle that came with the range. It is rectangular and designed to go over two burners from front to back for even heat distribution.

• fourkids4us
    13 years ago

Clueless, I'm glad to see you like your GE Cafe range. I've been considering that one and today saw it in person again. As long as I can get dh on board with the price, that's the one I want! Is yours duel fuel? My friend has the all-gas, but I'd be getting the duel fuel w/propane.

• secsteve
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine is the one designed to go over two burners like your vtlakehouse and that's why I was wondering if it would work with the round burner versus the elliptical. I was told the same thing you said Clueless that it would work using either style.

Thanks for everyone's input.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Posted by fourkids4us (My Page) on Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 14:18

Is yours duel fuel? My friend has the all-gas, but I'd be getting the duel fuel w/propane.

Hi, just wanted to forwarn you that there has been some bad reviews of the GE Cafe used with propane! Perhaps other GE owners with the propane can chime in but something to do with the btu's not being that efficent or something? I remember coming across a few complaints while I was researching before I bought my GE Cafe.
    If you are considering buying the GE, perhaps you can call them and see what they say about it. Good luck!

• fourkids4us
    13 years ago

jillsee, I remember seeing that as well, and it was concerning to me, but when I talked to the people at the appliance store a few weeks ago, they didn't seem to think it would be a problem. I was just at a different place today and forgot to ask their opinion so I'll definitely ask. Thanks for reminding me. The one my friend has is on natural gas but unfortunately, we don't have gas in my neighborhood!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

We got GE Profile electric model. It has "bridge burner" that connects one small and one med round burners (two dials for 3 heating surfaces--one has both the front burner and the bridge burner. There is also another smaller burner and then a 3-size front burner, each with own dial. The seeming 5th burner (has its own dial) is actually a warming spot, not a real burner. Not sure if this is a 5th burner or just an odd thing--have had the range 5 months and still haven't made up my mind.

Did not come with a griddle. Has a smooth top, manual says not to use a rough-bottom griddle so I bought one with a very smooth bottom surface.

I like the bridge burner area--has a lot of flexibility. Same with the multi-size one.

When I started out, I wanted 5 burners, but for 2 people, haven't found a situation where this did not suffice. I don't think I would have needed more, even for our 4-person pr-empty nest household.