Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hadeshnds_gw

Anybody ever cooked on a Rorgue, a Molteni, an Officine Gullo or

HadesHnds
10 years ago

Hi GWers! In the final agonizing throes of selecting appliances and need some input from you all. I'm throwing the bulk of my remodeling $$s into the stove of my dreams but haven't had a chance to cook on any of my "short list". Found a used La Cornue Chateau witht the better older french top (they've changed the btu s and have kinda dumbed it down recently :( ) for a good price; the rest of my choices are full retail.The LC isn't my first color choice, but to save 20ishk I could probabaly suck it up.
So if there's anybody out there that has played around with any of these babies, please post.BTW, I've already checked out service and parts availability, and got lucky on that scene-we're close to help if needed.

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, this board does see some high end remodels. But. Most people on here would rather spend 50K on a whole kitchen, not a form over function range. You could buy 2 60'' Bluestars, all the venting you need and be 20x ahead in functionality with $$ left over. Pretty is as pretty does and needn't involve large dollar amounts either.

• HadesHnds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear Hollysprings, while I agree with you that most people (including myself) don't have bizillions to spend on a kitchen, I DO want something that has both form AND function.
    I work part time as a chef and have really done my research on these brands. I've gone to the showrooms and distributors, and with the exception of the Rorgue, which I'm trying to track down now, I've touched/played with every one of them-just haven't had a chance to put food on them-watched others do so.
    I also looked at the Blue Star and Culinarian, which seem to get high marks on this site. I thougt they were hard to clean-spillovers dribble directly down onto the wiring (there is some sort of pan, but there's a gap), and they weren't the esthetic I was looking for. Many of the so called french tops are just simmer plates, not a true cooking surface.
    The units I'm considering are all used by top chefs and restaurants, are built like tanks, are customizable and have great warranties (the Gullo's is a lifetime guarantee).
    But you're right-nothing wrong with watching your pennies! That's why I was considering the used Chateau, and that's why I'm seeking feedback from other owners/chefs etc.
    Do you have a Blue Star? Do you like it?tell me more about that.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I have not cooked on mine yet, but I can't wait to, and it has a French top! Have you considered Lacanche? (I've ordered mine, just waiting for it to arrive!)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

There's a difference between a French top (simmer plate) and a plancha (griddle).

Molteni and Gullo come up from time to time. Cannot remember one installed in a GW kitchen.

Rorgue is not even a familiar name. Morice is no longer distributed in the US however they did have a presence for some time and they appear on ebay and elsewhere.

There is/was a dealer in Westchester county, NY that specializes in European ranges. Cannot find the link but some googling with gusto should turn it up.