Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My DIY is finally finished

Posted by bamaspice (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 22, 07 at 12:04

Thanks to everyone on this board---Remember we had thermofoil laminate cabinets...I removed the laminate and then painted and glazed. We also had feet made for the cabinets. Thanks to everyone for all the support. Especially,thanks to Bill V for holding my hand. Everytime I look at the tile...I get tickled!! Who would have thought..I could do it myself :-)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My DIY is finally finished

OMG!!!!! That has got to be one of the most amazing transformations I have seen on this site. Very well done - you should be extrememly proud of yourself.

Wonderful!!!!

o

WOW!!! Looks great. What an elegant kitchen and all DIY....The color combonations are great.......enjoy!!!

o

Wow, that looks incredible! Did you paint your cabinets or get new ones? If you painted, could you tell me how your process went? I'm just getting ready to start painting mine and I hope they turn out as well as yours did.

o

Wow! I actually said that out loud! It's beautiful. Be pround.

And thanks for posting, because we are getting ready to choose paint--and have similar cabinets, floor and counters--and you've convinced me to go with the deep red.

o

That is an AMAZING transformation, I am duly impressed! You made some really nice choices and your hard work has really paid off!!

o

Looks wonderful...everything is nicely coordinated and very pleasing to the eye. What kind of backsplash?

Deb

o

The transformation is incredible. You should be very proud of yourself!

o

Fantastic job! I want feet!!! lol WOW, what a difference. Great job, can't say it enough.

Nat

o

That is just the most amazing transformation. No one would ever guess you did not spend a fortune on those cabinets. You've got me reconsidering my wall color now in my living dining room which will have white cabinetry. What paint color did you use? You've made some wonderful design choices. You should be tickled pink!

o

Gorgeous!!!!!!!
What color is your granite. I love it.

o

I was so relieved when I saw the second picture--I hope that's the "after"!

Nice job!

o

OMG! (I said out loud!) You win the prize. Absolutely stunning. Elegant, fresh, timeless...

o

Almost had a heart attack.
I thought the first pix was the "after" shot.
(Need to scroll a bit further down next time...)

ps - helps that you threw in some clutter in the first pix for bonus points :)

o

Your kitchen is just lovely. What a beautiful space to live and work in! Congratulations! Thanks for posting the picture.

o

It doesn't even look like the DIY you say it is! It looks like a pro job! Absolutely wonderful.. You should be so proud and pleased. The tile is beautiful and the colors are too. Congrats!

o

Sweeet!!! One helluva job.

I love the paint color, we used the same bold deep red in our dining room, which is now one with the kitchen, quite a few coats I remember but well worth it.

o

How about your hardware what are they and where if you don't mind did you get them....

A+++++++

o

Another BRILLIANT DIY job.

o

What a beautiful kitchen, and a wonderful transformation. You must be so pleased. Now, enjoy. This is the best part.

o

Absolutely amazing, but you can't tease us like that - MORE PICS!!!!!

o

Wow, that looks incredible! I would love to know as much as you'd be willing to share in terms of time frames, brands, colors, costs, etc...I love it all! :)

Mary

o

WOW- WOW- WOW-
Amazing job. Enjoy!

o

Holy Smokes - absolutely beautiful. You can go into business designing kitchens. Your backsplash in spectacular. What is it? I also don't see any outlets in the backsplash. Where are they?

When we start our kitchen, I am worried about where the outlets will land and how they will look on the backsplash.

o

Absolutely gorgeous! It is just amazing! Please do share as many details as you can. I hope you believe imitation is the best form of flattery because this will be an inspiration for many (me included!)
Congrats!

o

Incredible! Great job--wonderful choices. Your kitchen will also be an inspiration for mine. As others have inquired, please let us know more specifics. I am about to begin painting my cabs, too.

--Anne

o

You know, I can't get over what huge impact those two little sets of cabinet feet make. ANYONE with miles of boring recessed toekicks can do this.

And suddenly, it looks as though you have custom bespoke cabinetry.

o

From one DIYer to another- FANTASTIC (btw-I resent the implication above that DIY doesn't usually look like a 'pro' job. I've seen enough 'pro' work to know that's certainly not always true! And you need look no farther than this board for kitchens like this one, pharoah's etc that are STUNNING DIY transformations. I know you meant the comment in a nice way though :) :) )

Looks beautiful! Excellent choices across the board (i LOVE people who aren't afraid of color!). I too would love to see more pics! Especially of the backsplash behind the cooktop!

Excellent job.

o

I CANNOT BELIEVE that's a DIY!!!! Incredible!!! Please post details: granite, hardware, paint etc. Now I'm feeling like a real chicken for hiring people!!!!
Lynn

o

Whoa! that's amazing. Seriously cool. But you can't just stop with the one measly picture. I want to see more of your backsplash tile - it looks so tantalizing. Is it one of the pencil tile installations? Oh you so have got to give more info!

o

Very, very great work. Shows that your kitchen had great bones to start with, too, since the moving of items is minimal. How does one remove the laminate from thermofoil? I'd love to know! Would make more salvage cabinets a possibility for us.

And wrt the backsplash: a pic of the inset piece over the cooktop would also be a treat :)

o

WOW! Wonderful transformation. More pictures please.

o

So gorgeous!!! I love the white and black cabinet combination (that's what we're doing, too!), the feet are fabulous and the red paint really showcases everything. Would love to see close ups of your backsplash. I, too, would love to know what your hardware is and where you purchased it. You must be so thrilled!

o

Beautiful all over! I had no idea thermofoil could be stripped and painted!

Here is a link that might be useful: I snooped and found the rest of the kitchen...

o

What a wonderful job you did - it's beautiful! Congratulations...and enjoy!

o

That is just beautiful! Doesn't everything even taste better now?

o

Thank you everybody...Thank you loriafopiano for the link.
We bought this house from a contractor who was going to flip it. It had been abused...some of the pictures show where the previous owner had tried to faux them.

The cabinets are Wellborn White thermofoil laminate cabinets. We peeled the laminate off it came off in sheets and underneath was the orange mdf. We then sanded, primed with behr premium primer and painted with American Tradition Jekyll Club Veranda Ivory. The island is American Tradition Safari Brown. I drew the legs and our handyman cut them out for me.
The walls are SW flowerpot
The backsplash was a shiny white plain tile and I thought I could remove it without destroying the drywall..I was wrong...I now know how to replace drywall. The tile is Daltile's Splitface mosaic in Sienna Classico. I installed the tile by myself and I'm really happy with it. I saved about $400 by ordering it from thefloooringmarket.com. The tile behind the stove is hanging on top of the tile. It is made of resin and was on clearance at Fred's Super Dollar Store for $12.
Here's a close up of the tile and the granite is Santa Rita. We hired someone to install the granite.
The Hardware I got on ebay for $1 a cup pull and .50 a knob. It's Liberty Antique Brass from a company called Cripes Distributing. The pulls were made to stand off the cabinets but I made the holes bigger to make the pulls flush. The outlets as you can see in the upclose pictures are in a standard place...I worried about then but bought natural wood outlet covers at home depot and you really don't notice them.

If ya'll have any other questions let me know...I would love to help--Everyone here is so very supportive. Good luck to everyone!

o

Sameboat---Even the take out is better (HAHA) Also, I forgot to mention I glazed the cabinets with raw umber glaze from lowe's.

Thanks again to all my helpers on this board!!! I felt like I was never alone with all the stumbling blocks.

o
Site correction

Hardware is from Cripe Distributing (no "s") like I had posted earlier--Sorry

o

It looks fabulous! You did a marvelous job overall, but I never would have believed those cabinets could be transformed like that.

o

WONDERFUL, STUNNING AND GORGEOUS, not enough good adjectives to describe your kitchen........you did a great job !!

o

Oh, wow!!

o

Wow!!!! My mouth is hanging open!!!!! What a fabulous job! You must be so proud of yourself. I'm totally inspired.

o

I am very impressed!

o

Terrific job! I would never have guessed those were the same cabinets. What a difference a can (or three) of paint can make. It's all so pulled together - great choices. Love the tile and granite, and especially the contrasting color of the island.

Lets hear it for DIYers! I hope mine comes out so nice. : ) Enjoy!

o

Great job!! It looks awesome and the savings with your great idea to remove the thermofoil. I wonder if all thermofoil cabinets comes off like that. I'm sure several more will try. I think you might become a pioneer there.

o

Oh my gosh! That is just gorgeous! You should have your amazing (and very original) remodel written up in a magazine. Take a bow!

o

Absolutely amazing! I can't believe noone has commented on the absolute deal you got on that awesome tile piece that's behind the stove! Now that's a deal!!
You make me want to "update" our kitchen now before we put it on the market later this Spring! Can't wait to show my DH your pics!!

o

Awesome job! Just love the tile backsplash...ala Bosche's kitchen, eh?? One of my favs! Looks great with the hint of red peeking through behind the cabinets. Also really like the paint job on the cabinets and the pulls...some nice deals with a great transformation. I thought I was a good bargain shopper, but you DEFINITELY have me beat!!

Enjoy cooking!!

:)
Sarah

o

you should be VERY proud of yourself! AMAZING> thanks for sharing.

o

Thanks for all the details! I thought there was a glaze. I'm still holding out hope for a closeup of the piece behind the stove.

You did amazing work. I can now go to salvage and find some great-boned cabinets for my daughter's bathroom, strip the laminate off them and paint them.

Why is there not a Fred's super dollar store near me???

o

Everybody-- Thank so so much---You all are so talented and this forum can help anyone---So much fabulous advice.

Flyleft-- Fred's is also online...I still have bathrooms to do also---Thank goodness there aren't as many cabinets!!

o

Do you have the name of the ebayer you purchased your pulls from? (or a link) That is such an amazing price!

Your kitchen really does look wonderful.

o

Thank you kitchenlady...I had to make the holes for the cup pulls a little larger so the pull would fit flush. Heres the link directly to the company and they are also on Ebay. On ebay the pulls were 25 for $10.00 but with shipping it averaged out to $1.00 a pull. They are .75 a piece on their site. They are also available at Lowe's by special order for $7.99 a piece. They are very heavy gauge. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Cripes Distributing

o

Bamaspice,
Congratulations--your kitchen is beautiful!

A question about your cabinet "feet"--how are they attached to the cabinets?

Thanks!

o

Jesemy,
Thank you!!
Actually, right now the "feet" are not attached. I plan on attaching them with heavy duty velcro that I bought. I did not want to permanently attach because I like to remove the legs while I sweep into my vac pan. The legs that are around the island had to be permanently attached.

o

I am indeed the proud papa of bamaspice. There are scads of things I'm proud of in this kitchen re-do. However, for me the most outstanding thing she did can't be seen! She installed a vent to the outside including putting a hole in the brick wall with a hammer and a screwdriver! My son-in-law is super for trusting her to do all these things right!

o

bamaspice - great job. I was considering hiring someone to do mine refinishing but after seeing yours I'm rethinking that. Especially when I know how much they're charging me.

My cabinets are already white, but they're peeling and chipping. Did you use an oil base or latex base paint? Do you notice any brushstrokes? That's my fear, that I start this and realize after it's too late that it doesn't look very good. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

o

bamaspice: Hard to believe it's the same kitchen! You did a beautiful job! Even DH, who thinks I'm a complete knucklehead because of the time I spend on this site, was impressed!

o

I echo everyone's sentiments. wow...............

o

malhgood-- I used Lowe's American Tradition latex paint and Behr's premium latex primer. I have since seen the product "cabinet coat" which looks interesting. I have a friend who used a paint sprayer and her cabinets came out super smooth. I also took cardboard boxes and placed them on top of lazy susan's. Then I placed the cabinet doors on top of that. This helped with reaching the entire door. While I was painting there were some stokes but they seem to disappear when dry. I'm wondering if you could try one door and test how you like it. Also, my hand held electric sander made it much easier. Good Luck!!

Ya'll have made me so tickeled with your compliments...But once again it proves what an incredible forum this is. Prior to this I had never attempted this kind of project...Everybody on here is so generous with their expertise!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Coat

o

That is absolutely amazing... beautiful! Would you mind telling us how much you spent total for the renovation?

Again, great job!

o
Cost of my DIY

Mercymygft--Thank you...I don't mind telling the cost at all.
We live in Birmingham, Alabama

Total Cost of Kitchen redo:

Cabinets (Primer, Paint, Sand paper, Brushes) Approx. $120
Cabinet Feet $350
Hardware (26 cup pulls @ $1, 30 knobs @ $.50 plus screws $50
Wall Paint and Primer $100
Sink 16 gauge 9 inch deep, Moen Faucet, Soap dispenser, Never MT $ 240
Santa Rita Granite (3 cm, 73sf @ $47.00, Standard Edge, $225 undermount sink) $3,802
Plumber (install drains, garbage disposal, Faucet) $140
Tile Backsplash (24 Sq ft Daltile Split Face) Online $450
Appliances (GE Gas cook top, GE profile oven, GE Profile Quiet power
7 dishwasher, GE Profile Arctica RefrigeratorAll Scratch and Dent) $2600
Installing gas $175
Bar stools $120
Kitchen chairs (Had table) $1042
Vent Hood (Ebay) $300
Vacupan $35
Emblem behind stove $12
Total: $9,536

o

Clap, clap, clap! Your kitchen looks just beautiful...another testament to hard work and the guts to take on a daunting project! Great job!

Frenchkitty

o

bamaspice,

where did you get the emblem behind the stove? I am dying to know. I want a fancy look like that but don't want to commit to a permanent thing that will date out and have to be removed and replaced.

Rene

o

WOW!! That is amazing, what a beautiful kitchen. I love the feet added to the cabinets and everyting for under 10k. That is unbelievable. You guys are very talented.

o

Great work, lovely results.

o

Amazing !

o

The emblem came from Fred's Super Dollar.

One added expense:
The GardenWeb Kitchen Forum = PRICELESS

Thank ya'll for all the kudos!!

o

bamaspice-- WOnderful testament to DIY, determination, guts, hard work , imagination - and that many kitchens do have good bones - just need a little updating.

Truly inspiring - you should be very proud - I see Proudpapa is here as well. How cool - I'd give anything to have my dad witness a project like that -

Enjoy your new space - Just lovely

o

what a gorgeous kitchen! Well done. How is the split face backsplash? Is it hard to clean? How did you seal it? I love that look but am concerned that I will be scrubbing it with a toothbrush lol

o

can you tell me the color/maker of the "red" colour paint?

Your kitchen is beautiful!

o

I sealed it with a water base sealer from Lowe's. I have sealed it three times. I haven't had any problems so far with the cleaning and even accidently sprayed redi whip on it this week...I was able to wet a paper towel and wipe it off...I hope it holds up....I was kind of hesitant thinking it would be a cleaning nightmare but so far so good. Thanks

The color is Sherwin Williams Flowerpot. Thank you!

o

::applause:: WOW! You did a wonderful job! This is truly inspiring to anyone who wishes to DIY and/or refinish a kitchen. (Stripping thermofoil: who knew?) Congratulations on a timeless, wonderful space.

Emmie

o

your kitchen is AWESOME! I love your kitchen table and chairs- mind telling me where you got them?

Thanks!

o

The chairs come unassembled. They are Powell Hills of Provence Slat Back Arm Chair and are also available in cream. This is the best price I could find. Once you put the chairs in the cart the shipping goes down. I had the table already...it was here when we moved in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chairs

o

hello bamaspice, what a lucky husband you have to be married to someone with such a great "can do" attitude. i was hoping you could tell me the process to strip the thermofoil off? thank you for your time and best wishes on all your future projects. lance cooper

o

Wonderful job, now that is a kitchen to be proud of! Kudos!

o

LANCE-- Sorry I haven't responded before now...I haven't been on in a while. The type of thermofoil we had just peeled off in sheets. Some of it came off in one solid plastic sheet. Thanks for your complements!! Susan

o

Is your tile on this page? I can't seem to find it. Your kitchen really is stunning. Great job!

Here is a link that might be useful: theflooringmarket.com

o

midwest mom
Here's the link through theFlooringmarket.com. Ours is the Sienna Classico Color....I thought this link would be direct but it doesn't work like that. If you'll put... Split Face... in the search it will come up.
Thanks for the sweet complements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Split face tile

o

One word... AMAZING!!!! Thank you for posting all your details. You should go into business.:)

o

:applauding: Thumbs up! Thanks for sharing!

o

ZOWIE!!! applause, applause, take a standing ovation. What an AMAZING job!! You deserve to be so proud of yourselves. Your kitchen is truly beautiful, and I especially like the cost. Stunning work! Thank you for sharing.

o

Wow what a fabulous redo! You're an inspiration! I LOVE your backsplash, was it difficult to do? Is there a thread detailing the instructions? Be proud of yourself and enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

o

Very resourceful, creative, impressive, and lovely! You obviously have many talents. :-) All your ideas and hard work came together so well. How nice that your Dad is proud of you and chimed in also. Now we're all waiting to see your bath renovations!

o

Miz Bama, that is a peach of a kitchen!

o

bamaspice, what I especially loved from your beautiful pictures was that you painted your island charcoal. I wanted to paint the back (facing the dining area and side of my light oak extended countertop with a darker color (smoketree) but wasn't sure how it would look. Yours is so gorgeous that, not only would I know the smoketree would look good, but I am now wondering if the charcoal would be better. Your kitchen is gorgeous. We are updating our kitchen ourselves also, and I hope that when we are finished I will have some pretty pictures to post.

o

Bamaspice, Excellent job! You win the prize!

Can you answer this question for me? I am wondering if I can do the same as you and remove the plastic coating on my cabinet doors. Mine are covered with a covering called melamine (sp?). Do you know if that is what was on your cabs??? Thanks!

o

Great job! I hadn't opened this thread because I thought I had already seen it, but I was wrong. I hadn't heard of anyone peeling laminate and painting, but it sure worked for you. Great finds on your hardware, tile and appliances too. Quite a transformation.

How dificult was it to peel the laminate? Did you have to do any special prep after the peeling, or just sanding and priming?

o

Ya'll are so kind...My cabinets were covered in melamine aka thermofoil. We just sanded and primed although I've heard of folks wiping them down after sanding with some chemical...can't recall the name.

Happy Mother's Day to all!!

o

i'm just seeing this now, so let me add my congratulations on a fabulous job - and wow, did you get some great prices!

the cabinets in my condo are some type of laminate and one of my neighbors was able to paint hers by sanding and priming. she did say the sanding took quite awhile.

o

We just bought a house and I was looking to do the EXACT same thing to my kitchen cabinets as you did. What was the method you used to paint? Anything special you had to do in between the paint and glaze coat? How many coats of the ivory did you do? did you sand in between? Did you paint the glaze with a bristle brush or sponge or what? Did you just do one coat of glaze? Also, I LOVE your backsplash!!! Sorry for all the questions but I want to replicate your kitchen exactly. My table and chairs are the distressed brown/black with red undertones just like yours--we just finished that project!! Turned out great!!! Thanks

o

bamaspice--just found your kitchen and want to add to all the compliments you have gotten. What a wonderful job and such a beautiful kitchen!!

I was wondering how you like having the cooktop in the corner. Your layout is similar to mine although my range is to the right of the corner currently. I want to move an induction cooktop to the corner and the wall ovens to a different wall. I have looked on this site but have not found too much info on corner cooktops. Do you find that it works for you? TIA and again--GREAT job!!

o

kimwok-- I like the corner cooktop...but I need to find a place for my microwave. The microwave tends to be in my way.

Amanda--I brushed the paint on but a neighbor had hers sprayed. I did two coats of the ivory. As far as the glaze I used a bristle brush and wiped a lot off. Good Luck to you...Make sure you post when your done!! I would love to see the chairs.

Thank you both so much for the complements!!

o

That's one amazing kitchen transformation! Beautiful!

o

Gorgeous kitchen, you should be very proud! I too am a big DIY'er. Everything but the granite in the kitchen has been done by me.

o

Thank you so much for sharing your kitchen DIY. It is VERY beautiful and you have encouraged me that I can go and finish mine, too!

o
Bamaspice for President!

A fabulous result of hard work and a woman who knows she can do anything.George Bush could learn a lot about financial creativity from you. I am really inspired. I have thermafoil cabinets in our rental villa and after ten years there is peeling and chipping. I was trying to figure out how to afford new wood painted doors but this is a better plan. Can I ask how long it took for the cabinets alone. I have a six week period between rentals. There is no room for error. I could only work on this three days a week as I am an RN and work the other days each week.What do you think?
Thanks so much,AJ

o

AJ
Thank you so much....My cabinets were easier because the the thermofoil came off in whole sheets. You could get one door and test it. My neighbor and I both had the same type of thermofoil which peeled off and it took us both just a morning to peel off. My neighbor peeled hers off and then had a painter take the doors to his house and spray them. They look really good. I had 28 doors and 21 drawers to paint. The painting alone took a three day weekend. The glazing was the easiest part and took about two days. I set up cardboard boxes with lazy susan's underneath....this made it easier to turn the doors and paint them. I.m not sure how long it will take with the sanding you'll have to do. Good luck to you!!! Thanks again for your kind words.

o

Bump

(This thread inspired so many of us that I don't want it to be lost forever.)

o

bamaspice, do you hire out? Want to try a bathroom?

o

May I please archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so could you please submit the FKB Category Checklist?
Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

o

njd1227, ksfaustin----Thank you both so much

Starpooh-- I did the checklist....Is there a gallery for finished bathrooms??? Thanks, Susan

o

Absolutely fantastic transformation -- and to think you did most of it yourself. You're one amazing woman! Thank you for sharing.

o

You have just given my new found hope for my kitchen! I have been debating on glazing my cabinets and your kitchen has convinced me! What sheen paint did you use? I have never glazed anything before but think I can do it myself. Do you have to have the raw umber mixed? Did you mix it with anything else before you put it on your cabinets? Thanks!

o

HOW in the heck did you remove the laminate ... or was it thermofoil??? That's brilliant! And I imagine a well kept secret of the kitchen cabinet industry - would cut into their business if if was known how easy it was.

Painted MDF or fiber board is a perfectly acceptable material - ask any Ikea fan. I know there is bonding primers and cabinet paint for painting laminate but I would think any paint would adhere much better to the bare mdf.

You should post your whole process somewhere on this site - maybe in gallery or some permanent location.

o

Bamaspice, I LOVE your kitchen. I have ugly pickled cabinets and I was really wanting to restain them a darker color but your kitchen really has me second guessing myself.

I am going to post a picture of my kitchen and see what you think. Do you think that painted cabinets would look ok in my kitchen?

I saw a picture of the outside of your house and it looks a lot like mine. I guess I am afraid to paint the cabinets because stupid me was thinking that painted cabinets would take away from the value of the house. I really don't think so now. I LOVE your kitchen.

Anyway, here is a picture of mine:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

lauraa,

I think painting your cabinets would make a BIG difference. I'm not good with color selection but there's a color out there that would go well with your counters, which are already nice. You'll be just as happy with your transformation as bamaspice was. All kinds of high-end kitchens have painted cabinets in them.

o

bamaspice,

I have looked everywhere to find your pictures in the FKG, but I can't find them! Where are they?

o
This Really Works! Goodbye Laminate--Hello Wood!!

Thanks, bamaspice! After living with (and hating) my stark white thermofoil cabinet doors, afraid to paint the laminate, I was delighted to find your page! I picked at the inside edge of one of my cabinet doors, and the laminate easily popped off. It peeled away like a breeze in one sheet, leaving nothing behind except clean, smooth MDF! I was amazed! I stripped three doors in about 10 minutes. What I had thought was impossible has turned into a completely doable, super-easy project that will save me tons of money! Thanks again for sharing your experience!

o

Bamaspice,
beautiful transformation! the split face tile backsplash is something I have seen but was afraid to do because I thought it might be too difficult to keep clean. I'm hoping you will tell me now that you have lived with it awhile, how difficult is it?

o

Cody07--
Sorry I'm just getting back to you on the backsplash question. I installed that backsplash Thanksgiving 2006. It's great...I sealed it right after I installed it and it's been easy just to wipe off.

Sfoust--Congrats to you!!!!

o

This is amazing!!!!! I am so glad I found this, I had no hope for my thermofoil cabinets and now I run across this thread...thank you so much bamaspice!!!!

o

Beautiful! It's amazing what you've accomplished with your kitchen. It looks like a showroom kitchen now. How long did it take you to complete all of this? What was the hardest or most challenging part? Did it take a lot of time to find all the various components?

Also, a question about the tile backsplash---is it a smooth, even surface? I don't know what "splitface" means, but it looks wonderful. Just wonder how it is for cleaning, etc., and am hoping it is a fairly smooth and even surface.

o

Thank ya'll!

Sail-away,

The split face tile is not smooth..its somewhat uneven but not hard to care for. Thanks,

o

Stunning kitchen! Your hard work gives me hope and inspiration for my DIY kitchen journey.

Could you tell me the name and color of the backsplash's grout you used? It seems to be somewhat darker than the tile itself and enhances the tile so beautifully.

o

Shugee
Thank you...I used no grout...It hasn't posed any problems for us yet. I like the rugged look...no one that has seen it in person has mentioned they even notice it. Good Luck on your Kitchen!

o

Is there any way to get the tile above your stove. We do not have a Fred's here and I would love to have one. I love what you did to your kitchen. It is absolutely beautiful. I also have there thermofoil cabinets and want to do the same thing. I have one question - did you have any problems with the thermofoil? I do not want to start peeling and find that it is stuck in a few places. How would I get it off? Thanks for all of your help!!

o

wee98,
I haven't seen any more tiles like it but it's really one of those things that just happened. It's made out of a really light resin/papermache/canvas type of stuff. I think you might have luck at Kirkland's or TJ maxx kind of place. I was with my Aunt who has a "think out of the box attitude."

Also, as far as the thermofoil it just peeled off. The only sticking I had is where I had tried to gorilla glue it before. In those places I took my hand sander and sanded to the surface...it wasn't very many places and only where I had tried to keep the thermofoil from sticking. Good Luck to you!

Thank you,
Susan

o

Susan,

Love, love, LOVE your kitchen.

One question: now that you've been living with it for over a year, how is the paint holding up on the cabinets and the finish on the cup pulls and knobs?

Thanks,
Dianne

o

Ditto everything everyone has said! It is an amazing transformation. Something I know I could not have taken on. Regarding the cool resin tile from Fred's, I am concerned that it is so close to an open flame. I believe I remember that resin is highly flammable. Please correct me if I am wrong (and I hope I am wrong.)

o

Susan,
This is spectacular and an inspiration! Would you please share the order in which you tackled this project as now that I'm ready I'm not sure where to begin. Thanks! Patty

o

Thank you everyone!!

The finish on the knobs and pulls is great (just like brand new)!! I have a little touching up to do on the cabinets...I didn't poly or seal the cabinets so like on the silverware drawer it's got a couple of dings...I should have sealed it and still might. But overall it's still looking good.

The resin/paper mache tile thingy seems to be okay...There is more space between the stove top & tile than it appears in the pics. I'll have to ask husband exactly what it's made of....

Patty...I'll give you the order when I have a little more time...I'll touchbase tomorrow.

Thanks to you all!

o

Love, love, love your kitchen! I was so inspired that I went over and started peeling my cabinets (which had started peeling on their own) - We were about to spend a lot of money on refacing and now i see an alternative! Thank you!!

One question if you don't mind... How did you handle the moulding and sides of the cabinets which were not doors or drawers? They don't seem to peel easily.. nor do the inside of the doors. Did you peel them as well?

o

bamaspice - I love the look of the split face tile and found one by Solistone with the colors I want. The idea of no grout definitely appeals to me (sounds like a breeze to install this stuff) The stone shop recommended against grouting saying the spaces are very small and the rough face would make it practically impossible to grout... BUT then I've been reading about the health hazards of going groutless. Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: split face stone

o

Bump ... found this thread on page 66 and didn't want it to fall off the forum and be gone forever.

o

Well, I see by bamaspice's post on Feb 11 of this year that she did not grout her split face either. And it was installed Thanksgiving of '06. She doesn't seem to have had any problems with it since then, at least as of around 3 months ago. Bama, are you out there? Had any regrets about not grouting? BTW, your kitchen reno is outstanding!

o

wow.. awesome job!

o

Hi Ya'll...I've had to clean up spaghetti sauce splatters as well as redi whip and all the other greasy normal stuff on my groutless tile. It hasn't been a problem. I did seal the stone with a spray on sealer that has helped. I can't see this being a health hazard....The only way I could see it being a hazard would be in a bathroom. I get the most complements in person on the backsplash and it was one of the easiest parts of the transformation. Thank you all for your kind words...this forum was my biggest inspiration.

o

Thank you for the reply, bamaspice. I have the split face bs too and had been really dreading a full grout job, so it's nice to hear your experience. I agree, definitely a no-no in the bathroom, but not so much a problem as a backsplash. I probably will grout some of the larger gaps and pits but otherwise, just leave the rest and see how it holds up.

o

bamaspice, Your kitchen is awesome! Well done!

Buehl was kind enough to send me the link to your photos in FKB when I asked if anyone had a corner cooktop with an under cabinet vent hood as I need to decide in the next 2 days whether or not to put in a corner cooktop. Could you please tell me what kind of hood you got? Any concerns about cooking in the corner now that you've been doing so for awhile? How wide is your cooktop? One of my hesitations is that I'll having to nix my corner lazy susan and decrease usuable cabinet space plus I don't want to feel crowded in the corner as my current cooktop is shoved into the L of a corner and I don't like it since 2 people can't stand there.

Also, I noticed that your wall behind your cooktop is at an angle whereas my wall is engineered to be a regular L shaped corner. Wondering how that might affect the position of the cooktop?

Thanks for any input!

o

Bamaspice, Can you tell me how wide the angled wall is behind your cooktop? I'm trying to do a corner cooktop and have final layout meeting with GC tonight.

Your kitchen is beautiful!

o

GREAT transformation!! I LOVE the feet on the bottom of the cabinets. what a touch of elegance for not much expense. I think I'll add those to some of my cabinets too!

o

Susan,

Congratulations on a project well done!! I applaud your ingenuity and your courage at taking on such a big task! We're mid-building and our kitchen will have glazed cream perimeter cabinets and a contrasting island . . . yours caught my eye -- I love how it looks, so I'm encouraged to go ahead with our plan.

My DD and DSIL recently did a quick spruce-up of their kitchen prior to listing their house for sale. They had thermofoil cabinets that were starting to peel and, like you, found that the skin peeled off in sheets most places. They put granite tile over the formica and the whole kitchen looks so much better. So, those of you who have TF cabinets, peel away!!

Thanks for sharing your results . . . I'm sure you've inspired a lot of people to step out and try!

Arlene

o

Arlene, Thank you so much....I don't check in on this board as often as I should. I appreciate your kind words and appreciated this board for every decision I made. Good Luck on your new kitchen!
Susan

o

Hi, Susan
I know how busy life gets. I asked back on March 15th if you could give the order of the work you did to revamp your kitchen. I'm still interested in that info. Now that school is back in session I have some days during the week when I can start to tackle ours. Thanks so much! ~Patty

o

Hi
I just run into this post. Wonderful work. You inspire me. I am a DIY but get a little timid because my husband hates any kind of handiwork and he is afraid that if I start something I will ask for his help. I will think about you when I feel a little "chicken" about home project--don't worry I will do my homework first (and I do know my limitations as well) Thanks again.

o

i am bumping this thread, i marked it long ago, and it has inspired me to start on my kitchen, cabs should be all painted next week, and hopefully i can post some pics in my own thread.
i thought newbies may enjoy seeing this thread.

o

I was just doing a search to find out about painting therofoil cabinets and WOW!! I was on the fence before, but after seeing your kitchen I'm ready to start peeling! You did an amazing job! I do have one question, what sheen of paint did you use? Thanks- Elizabeth

o

Hi Bamaspice! Your backsplash is AMAZING! I was so thrilled to come across it on here and am hoping to get a little advice from you. My husband and I just bought our first home and are about to tackle our first tiling project...SCARY! =)

We bought Champagne Gold Split Face tile from Dal Tile, it looks very very similar to yours. We are concerned about how easily it will be to cut it because it is fairly thick. Did you have any problems or do you have any tips? We will be using a wet diamond saw.

Secondly, how are your outlet covers (face plates) installed? Are they recessed behind the marble (back against the wall) or are they on top of the split face?

Lastly, are you still happy with the splitface option as your backslpash? Have you had any trouble with staining or hardship keeping it clean?

Thank you so much for any advice/help you can offer! Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen, it is truly and inspiration to see how wonderful it turned out!

o
RE: My DIY is finally finished!!!

Your creativity and resourcefullness makes your kitchen all the more enjoyable to view. It 's inspiring to know that when you have an imagination, anything's possible !!! Great job !!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here