Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Spice pullout in upper cabinet?

numbersjunkie
14 years ago

I have an upper cabinet near my cooktop that I think will be good for storing spices, cooking oils, etc. I love the idea of a spice pullout, but not down low because my eyesight is not what it used to be. Has anyone done spice pullouts in their upper cabinets? I was thinking of a tall pull out mounted inside the upper cabinet with multiple shelves. Maybe one on each side with regular sheves mounted in between for larger bottles and containers?

I know they would probably have to be custom made, but DH is very handy.

I'm pretty sure we will have 15" deep uppers and many oif my spices are the small McCormick containers, so I think I could probably store about 6 on each shelf.

Is this a crazy idea?

Comments (8)

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

I did 2 9" pullouts for spices, etc in my uppers. They just got installed. The top shelf I plan on using for oils.

• gwentm
    14 years ago

Would it be possible for you post a picture your upper pull out or provide a link where I can see how it works? I am short and a pullout like that in an upper cabinet may be perfect for me. Finalizing my plans very soon.

• plllog
    14 years ago

My only concern is how many will end up a lot higher than eye level?

This won't work for most people, but it just so happened that the best place to make a pullout in my kitchen is one sided but extending from toekick to top of head. That puts a lot of the bottles at the most accessible level.

I grew up with a lower spice pullout. It's organized by type: herbs together, peppers, baking spices, meat blends, cookie sprinkles and colored sugars, etc. That way, it's easy to reach right for the correct bottle. Once in awhile I've pulled out parsley when I was aiming for oregano, but it's not a big deal to switch.

What I mean by the above story is that so long as the bottles are easy to reach, you'll be fine.

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

I am 5'5" and I will only be using the lower 2 shelves for spices or other smallish items that I need to be able to read the labels. I can reach the top shelf, but it would not be good for small items, that is why I plan to put oils or other tall items on the tall shelf so I don't actually have to get up there to read the label. I considered lower pullouts, but I knew I wouldn't like to get down low to read the labels. I will post a picture when I can, but I attached a link of one that is similar to mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: upper pantry pullout

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

I love my upper spice pullouts. I agree that they might be too high for some, but they work great for me.
    Here are a few pics:

• biochem101
    14 years ago

I have one only 9" wide on one side of my hood (small kitchen) and I like it very much. I'm only 5'4", but my cabinets are only 30" high (just 3 shelves).

I can reach them all although the top is a stretch. Put the few and the large up there so they are easy to grab. The pantry is around the corner so this is a very useful item in our kitchen. Mine is stuffed like the photo above :) Way more than 6 per shelf.

Go for it!

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

Just noticed I put in the same picture twice. Sorry. So much for proofing...

Yes, they are stuffed, yet easy to get at. Our pantry is around the corner just like biochem's, so it's nice to have so many items handy.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES