Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a black/gray matte countertop

Posted by threegraces (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 12:01

I was all set on enhanced (which I don't fully understand), honed opalescence as it fits the budget, but then I saw scary pictures of water spots and smudges. I thought that would be more of a problem with polished showing smudges but apparently not.

It must be:
-dark gray/black
-matte or at least not highly reflective
-relatively uniform/low movement
-relatively bulletproof
-<$100 sq/ft installed (for reference the honed opalescence is running $75-85 in my area)
-it does not have to be granite but I would like stone

I used to have time to be utterly, wonderfully TKO but with a baby, I'm TBO(totally baby obsessed) and TTO (totally tired out). Appreciate the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a black/gray matte countertop

threegraces-there was a recent thread on a Steele Gray granite that I linked below. I think it meets most of your criteria BUT I don't know cost. I am thinking it would be within you <$100 sq foot though...

I am thinking of a dark leathered or honed myself. I think mpagmom's kitchen also has kodiak brown that is leathered - looks great! It doesn't really look brown to me but that is on the screen so it may or may not work for you. mpagmom's kitchen

I hope that helps. Enjoy baby, not long before baby is toddler then tween! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Steele Gray Granite Link

o

I don't know why you didn't get more help with this, threegraces.

Thanks Autumn.4 for the compliment. The kodiak brown doesn't look brown at all, but it has a brown undertone. Some other dark granites I looked at had more of a blue undertone in comparison.

Steele gray is one of the least expensive granites. I put it in my basement and I really like it. I'd like it better honed, I think, but that wasn't an option from the fabricator I worked with. I'm not a big fan of polished granite, but I like this one polished. I got mine through Ikea so I could get 15% off by spending a certain amount on kitchen stuff. I've also seen it at Home Depot and it is one of their least expensive options. Incidentally, Home Depot and Ikea around here (SW Ohio) use the same fabricator, and they did a fantastic job. I liked them better than my main kitchen fabricator, but it was a small job and not tricky at all.

Call a few granite yards and see what options they have in a black or dark gray with a honed or leathered finish. I recall liking Atlantic Black quite a bit and it was available in both finishes.

Everything I looked at was well under $100 installed, but that may be regional. My kodiak brown leather (70 sq ft with two sink cutouts) was about $65/sq ft installed. My steel gray (with one sink cutout) was closer to $45/sq ft installed.

Good luck with the kitchen and the baby!

o

soapstone may fit the bill

o

Like Remodelfa said - soapstone. This is my Belvedere

photo 6D613F52-81A2-46BC-9AAE-6AFA9169E32E-1535-00000093EB8BB29A.jpg

o

Jet mist granite, honed.

o

Maybe concrete?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here