Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivianii

How much space between your upper and lower cabinets ?

vivianii
16 years ago

I know it can be somewhere around 18-22" . I'm curious what size you picked and did you take into consideration your height (to reach MW or open cabinets) or other factors to determine this ??

TIA,

V

Comments (11)

• inmydreams
    16 years ago

Mine are 16 1/2" from the counter and I definitely took into consideration my height. I'm 5' tall. My old kitchen had about the same space between counter and bottom of cabinet.

Some things to consider - height of appliances that you might want to store on counter, whether you'll be adding a light rail underneath your cabinet. Also, adjustments may have to be made if you're stacking cabinets (ie an appliance garage) or are using tall cabinets - like an oven cab.

But I don't see a downside to making them closer than the standard 18".

• User
    16 years ago

I looked at the use of the area and appliance height to determine the space. 24" at the baking area , due to the KA height, 19" at the coffee bar due to the height of the Bunn coffee maker and 15 1/2 " beneath the shelves at the sink area , since I needed to reach all the dishes on the open shelves easily. I am 5'2" so I can only reach the 1st and 2nd shelves in the other cupboards but that is OK as that is where the most used stuff stays. Also we have 10 1/2 ft ceilings so I needed to have everything in proportion. It worked out really well.Here is a pic of the baking area with the 24" space. Hope this helps. Caroline

{{gwi:612474}}

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

18"

I would have liked less than 18" for me, but think it would have looked strange since we have higher ceilings than usual.

• akshars_mom
    16 years ago

18" I think that is the code in our area. We have to have a minimum of 18".

• defrost49
    16 years ago

Mine might be higher than average. I'm 5'7" so I have a decent reach. I absolutely would not allow the microwave to be placed over the stove. We have it over the counter and it's just right. If you are worried about heighth, you might consider a cabinet right on the counter. Our kitchen designer put one on the end of a line of cabinets. The bottom is a shallow drawer which I have rolled up placemats in. Since it doesn't need to be opened very often, there's just enough counter space to place bowls, plates, etc that I'm taking out of the cabinet. I really like having the plates and serving dishes within easy reach. The cabinet is right beside the doorway to the dining room. Glasses and coffee cups are next to the frig on the other end but in upper cabinets. Due to 9' ceilings, our upper shelves require a step stool so seldom used items are up there.

• vivianii
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses . Height for me isn't really and issue (5'72) but I do want (most) guests and family to be a able to reach too. I hadn't really thought of lighting affecting what height you leave . So it's OK to go with 18" when using under cabinet lighting right ? Anything else of importance re lights and height ?

Gizmonique ,I also have the ceiling height issue. Sloped ceilings , lowest point is about 9'+ , the other end goes up to about 12-14'. Countertops/island end at about the middle of the room. Upper cabinets are going to be 40-42" .....Thoughts , anyone ?

Keep 'em coming !
    V

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

18" I think that is the code in our area. We have to have a minimum of 18"

While 18" is a cabinet-manufacturing / kitchen-design industry standard, I would be VERY VERY VERY surprised if this was truly "code."

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Ours are at 19". That allows room for lower trim and lighting as well as my coffee maker :)

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

20 1/2" everywhere.

• cork2win
    16 years ago

20" everywhere because of some appliances I have, and because I want to hang rails on the backsplash to hang some tools and wanted the extra clearance.

I can't tell you how many times during this project I've been told "but... but.... 18" is STANDARD". I really don't care what's standard, I told you I wanted 20" and that's what I'm going to get. :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH