Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elee4168

Replacing Individual Tiles in Marble Backsplash...Possible??

elee4168
10 years ago

We had a marble backsplash installed recently and unfortunately, the contractor that installed it did not have a very artistic eye. He used several tiles that I would have discarded (small cracks, off coloring, etc.). I'm kicking myself for not being there to watch him like a hawk but I had to go away for a business trip while the splash was going up and now, what's done is done (it's already been grouted and sealed). Is it possible to crack out an individual tile without damaging the ones around it? I have a lot of tile left over and would want to replace several of them. I know it's doable with ceramic but wondering how difficult it is with white carrara marble tiles. Anyone know? And what tools would I need if I attempt to DIY?

Comments (6)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Why is the contractor not doing this? I would make him do it or have him pay someone else.

• elee4168
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the contractor that installed the splash should be fixing this. Unfortunately, that's not happening. It's a long story and I'll spare the ugly details. I'll never use him again!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

In my experience, "small cracks and off-coloring" are inherent in stone products, especially in small tiles like those used for back splashes. I returned an entire order of marble subway tiles because so many of them were like that. According to the supplier, those things are to be expected, and I was charged a fairly hefty re-stocking fee for the privilege of returning them.

IMHO, a disclaimer should be included in every tile contract that spells out the qualities of natural stone products so that customers aren't surprised after their installations are in. Going through the tiles before the installer arrives and getting rid of any that you don't like is a lot easier than removing them after they have been installed and grouted, especially with a material like marble where removing one can easily chip the one next to it. Some people LIKE the variation in natural stone tiles and wouldn't want the "off-color" tiles to be tossed, so I am wondering if it is fair to blame the installer here? No disrespect intended here, just food for thought.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

It is not fair to blame the installer. He is there to install tile not sort them. "Artistic eye" is completely subjective, especially with natural stone.

TLLane13:

Yes, you can do this yourself. I'd recommend purchasing a Rotozip tool with the stone blade attachment and vacuum option.

Cut through the tile about 1/8" from the grout line, getting as close as you can to the keepers without touching. Cut another horizontal line or two in the tile, insert a screwdriver or chisel into the cut and twist it until the tile breaks out.

Removing the thin set may be more trouble than it's worth; it depends on how easily it comes out. If there isn't much lippage, I'd just silicone the replacement tiles in place.

• HU-677909620
    2 years ago

I had a similar experience but I put part blame on myself, and some on installer. I should have reviewed each tile meticulously as marbile tile varies greatly -- and easily chips at edges. Some tiles were not flush like others, which I understand stone tile can have different thickness. Pre-selecting the tiles one by one for the installer is a must.

I had installer replace a few tiles, which turned out to be 12 tiles as when he chipped out the tiles, it made the tiles nearby chip at edges. Then the thinset ripped out the drywall so that became a mini disaster. Installer was able to replace the partial drywall areas. It was not an easy job, and something I would never attempt as DIY. Even at Tile store, I had to go through many boxes to find tiles suitable to my taste. Some were yellowish, chipped at edges and corners. That comes with natural stone tile -- it can crack and chip easily.

• Theresa L
    4 months ago

What did you end up doing? I am in the same predicament with mosaic marble - I did actually hand pick and QA the mosaics, but I want someone else to redo and continue parts of the tiling and it will involve taking off some tiles…