Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brescianlute

How to keep info and comms organized and clear during reno?

brescianlute
15 years ago

I always thought I was good at keeping organized, but after just experiencing one major "oops" based on someone having the old measurements, I need to take a better approach

How did you keep your info and communications organized and clear during reno or new constuction ?

If you can, please be specific in your answer.

The 3 areas top-of-mind are

- Product info

- Who-what-when data

- How to make sure someone understands what you want

Example:

1) Product info

I was thinking about setting up an Excel product worksheet to organized product info with tabs named:

"Installed"

"Ordered"

"To be ordered"

"Under consideration"

2) Who-what-when data

How do you maintain your who-what-when project plan?

- a text file

- Excel

- Project

- other

3) How to make sure someone understands what you want

For the people / subs actually doing the work on-site, do you rely on your general contractor (or yourself) to communicate your work order clearly enough, or do you post (redundant-to-paper-or-verbal comms) large-font-size instructions in the work area, so it's very in-the-face of the person actually doing the work?

Any other tips?

What do you wish you had done to stay better organized during your project?

Any suggestions on how to avoid confusing the experts doing the work?

Any good examples you would like to share via email? BrescianLute at gmail.com

Thank you Gardenweb-ers!

Comments (5)

• lyno
    15 years ago

When I first started reading posts in GW I was too naive to realize I should print, save clippings, etc. Anyway, I do recall someone discussing the Microsoft software One Note. I have no experience with it, but I recall the poster saying they could tie all their notes on one subject together and include pictures. I'm going to need something and I plan to check that out, but I haven't done it yet. I'll be watching this thread, thanks for posting it!

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

I made a spreadsheet for my own benefit, to keep track of the things that weren't broken down in the GC's detailed quote.

I also made a big loose-leaf binder, with sections for Appliances, Cabinets, Flooring, and so on. I printed a photo (from the web), with the details of the item, included downloaded specifications, in each section, and for each appliance. With Ikea cabinets, we filed the instructions as each was assembled. We planned for 3 Ikea "hacks" (modifications), and I had the detailed methods printed out, from Ikeafans.com as well. In the end we decided to only do two, but my GC was grateful for the tutorials.

My GC knew the folder was always available, and referred to it several times. It ensured we all knew what was going on, and that there were no excuses for getting dimensions wrong, etc. I had every confidence in his subs (most of them had worked in the house before, so we all knew each other)

I was here the whole time, with my laptop handy, and we looked stuff up, ordered odd components, on a regular basis.

• alice462
    15 years ago

I made a big binder as well w/sections that I needed, much like sara above. I also included an "interiors" section with plastic sleeve where I could stick paint swatches, pics, etc. The computer based idea would not have worked for me, b/c I'm not computer literate enough, my computer/office has been moved/dismantled periodically as we move through the house.

My big white notebook could easily travel with me to appts. and stores. Has been so helpful throughout this process and I have a satchel that it has stayed in that often also had stone samples, plumbing catalogs, and whatever else I was schlepping around at the moment. And always in there - the measuring tape.

Like sara, I printed off appliance specs/photos after I had chosen and kept them. Also printed off or had from a catalog all pics of plumbing fixtures, knobs, hinges, whatever I had to make a choice about, I usually had a picture to show. That seemed to help keep communication clear. Did make an excel spreadsheet when I was appliance shopping for my feeble brain to be able to sort out the differences.

I could not have survived this process without my notebook -- our house has been so disrupted that it was great to have the ONE spot that I could count on to have info. related to the reno. Also, when my DH wanted to know about something, he knew where to look instead of me trying to explain in the midst of also organizing homework, dinner prep, etc.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Having a spreadsheet of the info is great for you, but if you are sharing the info with the GC, you need a hard copy format.

I'd recommend that you have all the contracts and contact info for yourself, GC and subs organized in one place-- either a binder or folder or file box. We needed the plumber's number asap when we sprang a leak, and we (GC and I) didn't have it handy. Nasty. Put it in a defined place, make sure the GC knows it's there, make sure they're copies, not originals (or they'll get lost).

Also, I can't tell you how hard it is to make subs look at your notes/postings. You basically have to hand it to them and get them to acknowledge that they'll look at it. I stapled up the stove installation diagram right over the place where it was to be installed, and the electricians still ignored it and put the plug in the wrong place. The GC fixed it, but really, people, why do you think it was flapping away there? I don't know how to remedy this, but I offer it as a way of saying, you can't assume they'll look at your notes unless you tell them to. That goes for GC and subs too.

I would also recommend that you post your work phone, cell phone and alternate contact info in large type somewhere permanent (so they know where to look) so that no one can say "I did it this way because I couldn't reach you." That's averted a few disasters at my house, and has provided me with ammo when things weren't done right. I can go back and say "Why didn't you call if you couldn't find something or figure something out?"

Finally, try to establish a regular place where you leave notes for the GC and the GC leaves notes for you, either in a notebook left in a permanent place, or a clipboard or whatever. This has been really important in helping me to understand what's happening when I'm not around. Leave plenty of paper and pens -- they never seem to have them, and I get notes written on pieces of 2x4. Cute, but not what you want to take the HOme Depot when you need to buy a part.

I kept all my printed purchase orders, confirmations, etc. in a binder for the kitchen.

Make sure to mark old plans as old, or throw them out. Otherwise, you can end up relying on an old version of the cabinet plan.

And keep checking up on the communication area - because the documents can walk away and get lost. This leads to tiny disasters where the cabinets get installed without the crucial 3" filler that makes them line up. Leading to cabinet installation take 2, take 3 . . .etc.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of some recent punchlist communications. Not particularly helpful, but you see what I mean. Again, the marker I left there walked away on me.

{{!gwi}}