Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

DW Panel- Finished at Floor Area?

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

OK, I love to obsess about things. The cab maker mentioned last month they don't put anything at the floor of the DW when I asked and I didn't think about it again. Then, yesterday- Mom mentioned it. "Hmmm... Why don't they cover that section under DW?" Now I am wondering about it? Do those of you with paneled DWs have the same as I do?

Usually you don't see it much but at certain angles (like where Mom was seated) I guess it was more obvious.

PS- With these recent GW changes, even large pics are now VERY small...

Comments (32)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Toekick attached with Velcro.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

The velcro is a great idea, also you could easily just paint the metal one the color of your cabs...

• maryl1
    11 years ago

Yup, a small section of toe kick.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, Great! So why do you think the cab maker didn't do that? In case you have to remove the DW?

What about the 2 sides? Would you make the toe kick thick enough so that it comes out flush with existing?

I guess the toe kick would have the base moulding attached to it as well...

• Fori
    11 years ago

It may have come with hardware to attach a toekick. Look at the install instructions. They don't sell them to be left naked like that. You are missing a piece!

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

the electrical supply is right behind that black metal panel, it is a service access. I don't have toekick either, but I like the velcro idea... another project to do.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fori- meaning I am missing the toe kick? I'll check the Bosch manual regarding screws.

• maryl1
    11 years ago

Yes, toe kick/base molding should be flush all across so that it all looks seamless. I have a bosch also with integrated panel for door like yours.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

maryl1- So did your Bosch come with screws to attach the toe kick? Do you have a photo of yours?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The space is about 1 3/4" deep. Isn't that a bit thick?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, so the install manual for my Bosch DOES say it comes with either a 2 or 3 piece toe panel. What is this made of? Is it paintable to match the cabinetry? Or just a standard color? I don't have one!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My Bosch panel ready 500 series dishwasher was a floor model and was delivered without the toe panel. A quick call to the appliance store produced it. It is a black metal piece that covers the front and side areas under the door. It thought it was just one piece but can't remeber and am not near my dishwasher at the moment.
    I don't see why you couldn't paint it to match your cabinets. My cabinets are stained and I just left the toe panel black. Our carpenter said he could make a piece out of wood to match the cabinets but we never bothered to have him do that

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! So, there should be some piece covering those stickers I have then...

• Fori
    11 years ago

My integrated DW was a different mfr but it came with white and black plastic as well as a thingie to attach a wooden one.

Your mom is right. She always is. Even if that DW isn't supposed to have a toekick, velcroing one on will make mom happy and keep your sticker clean. :)

Paint would be an improvement but it looks like too a big hole for it to be THE solution.

• maryl1
    11 years ago

I should clarify that we used wood stained to match our cabinets as base molding/toe kick throughout. This was ordered from the cabinet maker. Sorry, I don't know how to upload pictures here. I can email it to you if you would like.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, so do you think this IS the toe kick that came with the DW?

I just want to know what I'm talking about before I call GC saying it's missing. DH thinks this may be the panel?

We have the 800 Plus model: SHV7ER53UC

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

Ditto - toekick custom cut and painted to match cabinets and attached with velcro. Picture below (before backspalsh completed). I need to add a bit more velcro, it falls down on occasion, nothing a little more velcro will not fix!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks babushka! (I Always love seeing your kitchen!)

My space is 1 3/4" deep so I guess we'd have to build out the area. OR make the toe kick pretty thick...

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Before you go too far on planning what to put there, open the DW door and measure the space between the bottom edge of your front panel and your existing toekick. The clearance for mine (GE Profile) was so tight that I had to bend the toekick back a little bit. My point is, you may not be able to build that area out any lest you run into the panel.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Angie! I'll check it out : )

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I removed the original toe kick and the GC took off the prongs and attached to a piece of left over wood - looks so much better than the black thing under the DW!!
    If I requested this originally, he would have put it together better but it works just fine.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Although on my last two DW, the factory toekick cover was an important part of the sound-abatement insulation.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point on the sound insulation, Angie- My cab maker is going to come by at the end of the week and take a look : )

• chickpea8
    11 years ago

Glad I saw this post. I have a panel front DW being installed on Friday. Thanks!

• moebus
    11 years ago

2LittleFishes
    Responded to your 'Appliance' post before seeing this -- should answer any question you have.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay! : )

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, that looks great! Good job.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Much better!!

• kaysd
    11 years ago

That looks much better.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Nice! Is your Mom happy now?

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Fishies- that looks great! How is yours attached?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mom is away : )
    Used wood blocks and Velcro.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994