Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Pictures of tile 'rugs' in your kitchen

kathec
14 years ago

The tile in my kitchen is 2 years old, installed to sell by the previous owner. It's a nice neutral beigey - brown. I'm reconfiguring a few cabinets, basically removing a peninsula in my kitchen and will be left with a hole in the middle of the kitchen floor. I only have a handful of tiles left from the original job. We don't want to spend the money for an entirely new floor or waste the parts that are perfectly good. DH and I figure the best way to go about this is to replace only the tiles needed around the perimeter with the extras we have and remove some tiles from the center of the room to put in a different tile of the same thickness. Basically making it a tile "rug" in a contrasting color or pattern.

I've seen this before, I even noticed it my Dr's office building, but I want to get some inspiration from real life kitchens. Does anyone have pictures they can share?

Thanks a million. I'm heading to the tile store today to scope out some options.

Kathe

Comments (13)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Here's a fancy one but it may give ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: tile rug

• jeri
    14 years ago

Wow Rococogurl - That is exquisite! I don't think I have ever seen a tile rug!

Great idea Kathe! I bet you will love the finished product.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Well compared to the one rococogurl posted ours is really boring! Here's a simple tile "rug" in our master bath. The inner tile is a smaller version of the floor tile; the border matches the floor of the shower.
    {{gwi:1400103}} {{!gwi}}

I love the backsplashes that some people have done in basketweave, harlequin, and herringbone patterns and I think one of those patterns with a border would make a nice "rug" too. Maybe the finished backsplashes blog would give you some ideas for patterns. (Like this one: http://finishedbacksplashesslideshow.blogspot.com/)

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplashes blog

• galleyette
    14 years ago

Picture 22 on the slideshow linked below shows this treatment in a basement powder room.

This was from an HGTV series that I actually watched. The designer went to the tile store and worked out the pattern based on what they had available. I think I remember her saying that you could mix different materials as long as the tiles were of the same depth.

She also said it was a great use for expensive tile that you might not be inclined to use for an entire room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's House

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Yours is lovely chicagoans -- wish I'd thought of that -- as I have the same shower style and similar tile.

I think this is a super idea for a kitchen. Hats off to kathec

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

This first one is the only one I have in a kitchen. The rest are either bathrooms or front entries:

• igloochic
    14 years ago

OK some people claim they have a tile "rug" in their home....this is my tile "rug" which is elegant enough that we call it a tile "carpet" verses a rug :o)

{{gwi:1471794}}
    The "carpet" itself is an ebay find for about $170 or so. The trim (the pieces that are larger than mosaic) is done in extra tile I had left over from the remodel throughout the house. Your idea of triming out an area with other materials is a great idea...but don't go nuts worrying abou the thickness. The "carpet" is one thickness, the yellow tile is another, the black another....it's all floated to be an equal height :) all to a standard height to flow with our oak floor that connects.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    14 years ago

Yep, Igloochic's "carpet" is what I think of when I hear tile rug. I just love that one.

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I feel a bit like I posted and took off. Over the weekend, DH and I were busy with the deal of the decade. We got a whole kitchen, cabinets and granite countertops (uncut) for $1500. A kitchen design shop had gone out of business and left all their display kitchens. The landlord needed to lease out the space and recoup some back rent, so he sold off the kitchens (5). We had to take them out ourselves and only had the weeked to do it.

My original plan was to change out my base cabinets, leaving the wall cabinets in place. That plan would have left the big whole in the floor. Now I've got a bunch of cabinets and will need to come up with an entirely new plan. I'm not sure how it will work out and it's possible I might get my dream island and end up not having to "fix" my floor. It's back to the drawing board for me!

I have to say those persian tile rugs are incredible, probably out of my price range. Thank you everyone for sharing your real life pictures. It's definitely given me the confidence to give a try. If I don't do it in the kitchen, I would love to have something like that in my master bathroom.

Kathe

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Kathe....$170 on ebay.... :) cheap as chips honey :)

• kathec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. I never thought to check out ebay. Lovely.

Thanks!

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

iglochic, could you post a closer up shot of your carpet tile? I just love it! We will be redoing our kitchen floor and I am looking ahead to options if we are unable to keep the old wood floor. I have been thinking of putting a "carpet" under the table! What did you "search" on when you found yours? :-)

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

Igloochic, that really is a lovely and clever floor treatment. In my next house... (ha! Who am I kidding? Next house! After everything we'll never be able to move out of the grocery store!)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!