Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twogirlsbigtrouble

Farm Sink - 30' or 36' and what brand?

twogirlsbigtrouble
15 years ago

I had originally planned for a 36" Rohl farm sink, but the plumber is telling me its huge and I will need a 39" sink base for it. We had only planned for a 36" base. He is recommending a 30", Im just not sure. Then he says this...

"Just an FYI on the sink, we have used these a couple of times and both times they had to be sent back because they were not able to fabricate the countertops around them. They are hand made and there is a lot of variations to them. Secondly, they weigh 154 lbs without water in them so the cabinet installer has to make sure it is mounted very securely."

Now he has me worried. So if I go through with this, what size should I get and what size cabinet do I need? And Im not sure on brand. There's Kohler, Whitehaus and Rohl. I think the Rohl is the most expensive, but are the others just as good?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

My suggestion would be a 32" - 33" wide sink. I have linked to one that you might consider. A friend of mine bought that exact sink about a year ago and really likes it.

As for the comments by the plumber, I wouldn't worry about it. ...somehow there are many many folks on this forum who have installed heavy sinks whether fireclay or solid stone with no problems. I am personally working on a kitchen remodel and have a 400 lb granite sink that we will be installing. We let the cabinet company know so that could accomodate it and the countertop will simply be cut to the exact shape using a template taken from the sink (we bought the sink already knowing they would need it prior to making the cuts). 150 lbs is nothing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinks Gallery Fireclay Sink

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link. I'll have to see if they have a single bowl model. I dont think Rohl offers any other size between 30-36 if I go with them. I dont get why this plumber guy is so worried about the sink.......

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I have the 30" sink in a 36" base. It's absolutely the right size. It has replaced a double bowl sink that was 30" (IIRC -- how quickly I'm blotting out ugly memories!), but because it's a single bowl it feels much larger. Your plumber is sort of right, but an experienced contractor can handle it. This is my Rohl's checklist:
    1. Pick up your sink in person, don't order it online, and inspect it before you leave the store. They are handcrafted and I've seen some that are cockeyed, have an obvious bow in one side, or don't drain completely.
    2. The countertops and sink base cabinet need to be cut/measured around the sink.
    3. Use a piece of plywood to support it.
    4. Enjoy!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bluekit - could you post a pic of your sink so I can see how it looks in the base? I was planning to buy it online too, crap. The plumber wants like $1500 for the 36". Havent checked the price of the 30", but Im sure its more expensive than online. I havent checked local stores yet, but Im not sure any place around here would sell them.

• rosie
    15 years ago

I haven't read what others have said, so my question unanswered is why do you want a 36" sink? If you need one (??) or your dream picture will be severely damaged without it (important), ask your plumber to do what's necessary to install it securely. We've only done a 28" (inside dimension), but I'm sure it can be done. BTW, we placed the flanges of a 30" SS sink on the sides of a 30" cabinet. Super easy and secure, but replacing it would require pulling off the counters.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I think I deleted the best pic showing the sink in the base, but here's what I have. In retrospect, the sink could fit in a 33" base (I have nearly 3" of filler on each side of the 30" sink in my 36" base), but I didn't desperately need an extra 3 inches.

An overview:

Yes, there's room for a ISE Compact Evolution disposal as well as other under-sink junk:

The above pic shows the filler, btw.

Sink, grid (another $100), and faucet:

Acountryfarm has the definitive pix on sink reveal.

HTH.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

I have a 30" Rohl sink in a 30" base cabinet. Fits a HUGE cookie sheet, laying flat or my big Presto griddle. Plenty big for me. The contractor modified it by adding extra support and it fits great. A bit of scribing has to be done around the sink, as it is curved--and there's no template (that I know of) because each sink is slightly different.

Here's my 30" in a 30" cabinet (in our never-going-to-be-finished DIY kitchen):

Oh, and as far as cost goes, I can't remember exactly what I paid for the Rohl, but I think it was around $600...and it was WAY more expensive locally than buying it on the Internet. Not even close in price. So SHOP AROUND with this one, if you decide to get it.

Sarah

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pics bluekit & sarah. The 30" looks like a decent size. And $600 sounds alot better than $1500! I guess the only reason I figured 36" is because I thought the bigger the better. And Im a little worried about having the single bowl vs. double. Just want to make sure there's enough room for rinsing and washing. I do usually handwash all my pots and pans, henkel knives and other baking/cooking utensils.

• louie77
    15 years ago

Hello,

I'm so glad I found this forum. I been looking for a place I could ask questions regarding farmersink or what some call apron sinks.

I just bought a house that was build in 2004. I have already fixed the cabinet and painted them white. I believe my sink is 30" long. Since the cabinets are already installed what reinforments do I need to make.

I also need a good place to buy the farmersink. I notice online they are asking over 1k or something... That's to much for me right now since I just moved in.

**sarahandbray**
    I have to say that you have a beautiful kitchen like color and everything.

I was thinking of having something like sarahandbray kitchen

Thanks you in advance.

• ebse
    15 years ago

bluekitobsessed,

how can you tell whether it drains completely just by inspecting it? did you literally pour water down the drain?

Thanks!

• louie77
    15 years ago

Yes I would like to know also how would you be able to test it. If I take a level with me would that help on telling if it drains good.