Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcfeatej

Faucet Behind Sink???

mcfeatej
14 years ago

Hi folks. We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel, and are having some difficulty picking a sink. We have a 29 inch sink cabinet, and want to get the biggest sink we can. The D-bowl seems to be best, but we don't like the look of the faucet in the corner... soooo, my question is: How big (deep) of a rectangular sink (outer diameter) can you use and still fit the faucet in the back? Kindred model KSS6U/9 is 19.25" deep; will a faucet fit behind it? Thanks in advance...

Comments (5)

• tracie.erin
    14 years ago

I don't see why a rectangular sink wouldn't allow for a faucet behind it. You're not going to put the faucet on the side on one of those. GIS shows the sink with faucets behind.

The only problem I would see is if you have a window sill protruding into that space. I am bumping out my sink wall 6" so I can keep a sill (and for the extra counterspace).

Here is a link that might be useful: GIS showing your sink w/ faucets

• Buehl
    14 years ago

You will need to know which faucet you are getting...the amount of space needed behind the sink varies by faucet. You need to be sure you have enough room to use the handle(s) fully and to clean behind the faucet.

If you have an above-counter window behind your sink, your available space will be reduced by the depth of the window's sill and/or trim. This is especially true of faucets w/pulldown or pullout sprayers b/c they are usually taller than a faucet w/o a sprayer.

A backsplash other than paint will also reduce that space somewhat.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

OK, I found what I was looking for. To determine how much room you need behind your sink for your chosen faucet, try mocking it up similarly to what Cloud_Swift did in the linked pictures. In her case, she already had the template. However, it should be relatively easy for your to create your own template with the interior measurements of your chosen sink.

1. Make a sink template based on the interior dimensions of your sink

2. Take a piece of plywood (or heavy-duty cardboard) and measure out approximately 25.5" for your counter. Your cabinets will end approx 1.5" from the front of your counter (that's the 1.5" overhang).

Now, determine how much room you will have in the back by measuring

• window sill and/or trim depth (if you have a window behind your sink) and

• The depth of your backsplash (don't forget to include any hardibacker board, thinset, tile, etc. that you will need.)

You will use the larger of these two numbers for the next step
    From the back of the plywood counter, measure forward from the larger of the two numbers from step #3 (mark it on the plywood).
    Place your sink template on the plywood counter approx 3" from the front edge of the plywood (you might want to check w/your fabricator to see if they put in 3" or 4" lips b/w the edge of the counter & the sink cutout.)
    The space you have for your sink + faucet, including handle movement, is the distance b/w the back of your sink template and the measurement you made in #4 above.
    To double-check, place your faucet behind the sink template where you would mount the faucet behind your sink (there should be approx 1.5" b/w the sink template and your faucet's hole)
    Now, be sure the handles and faucet stem move freely within the available space. You might want to put up a simulated wall to be sure...(again, use a piece of wood or heavy duty cardboard)

BTW...I think the blue tape represents the exterior rim of the sink...so her template is actually the overall/exterior sink size. She then put tape along the edge approx the width of the rim all around the template. This is actually a better idea if you can do it b/c then you can be sure you don't plan on placing the faucet (or any other) hole in the sink rim...you want them completely outside the sink, including the rim.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cloud_Swift's sink mock-up

• mcfeatej
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to give such an extensive response.

• kaseki
    14 years ago

Hmmm. My information from a granite fabricator as well as the soapstone fabricator was to have 2.5 inches between the sink cutout and the hole. And I initially believed this was to the hole centers, but came to find that their intent was to the hole edges.

Please confirm with your fabricator what dimension is needed. (There may be a difference between what they want for minimum probability of fracture and what they will do if you insist.) Also, be sure any sink supporting structure is not in the way of the faucet mounting hardware, and that the back of the cabinet is not in the way of the hoses.

kas

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone