Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Tile (backsplash) installation questions

Tmnca
11 years ago

Next weekend I plan to install the last part of my kitchen facelift - the backsplash tile. I'll be using white subway tile, and I've never installed tile before but have done flooring etc.

My main concern is regarding the cut tiles for the edges at 4 spots - either side of the doorway to the kitchen (it is a self contained room) and either side of the "window" tot he dining room.

Here is the area behind the range I plant to extend the backsplash continuing the bottom line from the countertop and going all the way up tot he range hood - but the visible edge will be right along the doorway.

Then the backsplash will continue on the other side of the doorway where there are no cabinets, and then become interrupted by the window. The window is easier because it is framed so the cut edges will be disguised. But at the doorway there is no frame, so the edges of the tile area will be visible.

{{gwi:1594612}}

I will be using the staggered brick pattern so I will need to cut lots of half-tiles to start the stagger. I thought I should start the half-tile stagger on either side of the door where it will show most. Also when I use cut tiles, do I orient the cut edge in towards the other tiles so the cut edge is covered by grout?

I don't want to do border/trim tiles I want it to just end at the doorway.

Comments (3)