Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

12' x 24' floor tiles with 2' x 4' subway tile?

blondelle
16 years ago

A floor tile I'm considering only comes in 12 X 24. Do you think it's OK to also use a subway tile with this if the floor tiles will also be in a brick pattern? It's a very small kitchen, and the subways would be off white to match the cabinets with a light warm grey grout. Floor tiles would be warm dark grey with some light grey veins in natural stone. Counter will be black granite. Grout will be a medium grey. If either the floor or the backsplash keep the brick pattern more subdued would it be OK?

I was thinking about this but also realized that a lot of people use square tile on the floor and 4" square tile on the backsplash, both having the same pattern.

I would be curious what you think.

Comments (10)

• glad
    16 years ago

imo, it doesn't matter. i did 13" sq tile and will probably do 3x6 subway.i did the floor in a grid pattern. the dining area right outside it has (9" parquet wood squares and like the "continuity of shape".

• plllog
    16 years ago

I think it's harder to pull off with rectangles then square but, sure, it can be done. Just lay some out and make sure you really like it first. It could actually be easier in a small space because you don't have to worry about the long distance view or huge expanses of nothing but tile dominating. You can also lay the floor in a more interesting pattern, if you want, but in a small space I'd go simple. In fact, (this is where laying it out and seeing it helps) it may look better than any other choice because, again, in a small space keeping the number of different patterns to a minimum is generally a good idea.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Personally, I agree with glad. But as I've told many people in here, when it comes to aesthetics, one person's gold is another person's garbage. What matters is will it look good to YOU. If you like the look, then go for it!

Just as an FYI, there's a WHOLE lot more you can do with tile that's half as wide as it is long than just running bond (brick joint). I don't know how big the area is you're doing the floor in, but you might think about either a basketweave or herringbone pattern. OR, the same for the 3x6 tile on the wall, and keep the floor running bond! In the following link, go to the second row of patterns. You'll see what I mean:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedrosians

• blondelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Bill for the patterns. I don't know if my small floor would even work with brick pattern 12 X 24. After the cabinets are in the floor area will be only 3.5 X 6.5. All you with small kitchens don't you complain anymore...LOL! This is Manhattan and my kitchen is considered BIG for a studio apartment!

Here's a mockup of the brick and herringbone. Not sure if either work but I like the herringbone better. If I use that should the center be in the middle of one vertical tile, instead of between as shown? Something is off in it.

The tile is a new honed marble in a grey brown 3/8" thick.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping for Bill V. but would love some feedback from anyone. Looking at the two the 2nd one might make the kitchen look even longer and narrower. Do you think the first one works? What's shown would be the only tile showing in the kitchen. I would have to play with the positioning of the tiles on that, but do you think it's too small of a space for that pattern?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Although it looks intricate as hell, the herringbone is very simply, a brick joint pattern with every other tile turned on its side. Look at the pattern for a minute. You'll see that first the horizontal tiles look like steps, with each step being exactly a 1/2 tile advanced from the last. Then comes the vertical tiles doing the same thing. Then back to the horizontal tiles, and so on. Once you get going with it, it's really not as complicated as it looks. The only disadvantage is that your grout joint is predetermined by the tile size. If you lay two tiles longways side by side right next to a single tile cappling the ends of the two tiles, move the first two so their long edge is flush with either end of the capping tile. Whatever you have for a joint between the two tiles is what you're going to use for a grout joint throughout the floor. No ifs, ands, or buts.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I think it will look good because you are dealing with rectangles on the floor and backsplash. I went with 12 x 24 floor tiles. I like them alot. (Backsplash is not subways.)

• blondelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kitchenkelley which one are you referring to? Do you like the first or second? Bill, you do think then that the first one would work? Do you think the center should be in the middle of a vertical tile, or between the two vertical tiles as shown? Do you prefer the first layout to the second. Thanks!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I think they both look great but I like the second better. (Because that is what I used in my kitchen.) I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

blondelle, I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you want to do a herringbone pattern it must be exactly as you see it in the first pattern.