Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Posting photos and resizing

Bunny
11 years ago

Is there some optimum size now for attaching photos to posts? I've noticed the majority are being displayed way too small to be of much use to anyone, particularly floor plans. Sometimes clicking on them will yield a larger image, but often not. There are some photos that show up larger, yet stay within the new page width.

I always link to my photos on Flickr. Until the board change they displayed in posts at their original size. Today I reposted a couple of them and they are rather small. If I click on them, it takes me to my original on Flickr. Or maybe because it's my account and I have access to all my photos.

I understand there's a new format here and a maximum width for text and photos. If we knew what the upper width limit was for photos, many of us could tailor them to fit and not have the board downsize them so they're difficult to appreciate.

Comments (11)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

There is a current thread on Home Dec, about the same subject. I've uploaded directly from my pics, without re-sizing, and it makes no difference what the original size is--the pics are now auto-sized to a certain limit. If I don't re-size before uploading, it takes much longer (same as uploading to photobucket.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Dec thread

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I asked this on the other thread: Using GW's image file upload feature, I can edit to add a picture, but if I try to edit to add another picture from my image file, it deletes the last picture. Any one else had the same problem?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

It's worse than that... I always posted using html tags, and custom-chose the width to fit what I wanted. The height was auto-sized to keep the aspect ratio the same as the original. However, now the height stays what it was, and my aspect ratio changes. So I gave up and just let it display my pictures too small....

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

It's really annoying. I upload my photos to Photobucket from iPhoto and is allows you to choose a size. Now, even if I choose the LARGEST size (which I never did before) they are still small. : (

• Bunny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I understand the board wanting to prevent wide images from busting out of the narrower text/image widths. Also it can cause extended load times.

But still. If there's a width limit, please tell us what it is. Not everyone knows how to downsize photos, but I'll bet most of us here do. I'm guessing that if you try to attach the LARGEST size, the board cries foul and downsizes you for spite. ;-)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie, I'm seeing a lot of photos out of aspect ratio, stretched too wide. In Sharimac's thread, she posted a lot of before photos and I remember them as displaying correctly. I just went back to her thread (which was created before the board was updated) and most of her photos, plus some posted by others, are now very stretched.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

The auto resizing is just a sort of thumbnail. Most of the time clicking the photo in the thread will show you the original, but it seems to have had a very bad effect on the display of many of the images that were posted before the change was made.

I do find it less convenient than the old way, where you could quickly scroll through all the photos in a thread like a reveal thread where it's a pain to have click all the time to see any detail.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

writersblock: less convenient than the old way, where you could quickly scroll through all the photos in a thread like a reveal thread where it's a pain to have click all the time to see any detail

Exactly. The new way gets to be very tedious.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

It's not only tedious, but it wrecks the effect of a dramatic reveal. I noticed that the other day in the bath forum, where I dug up an older thread showing an amazingly deluxe bath done on a shoestring budget. With the new small images, it just didn't have the same effect at all, and I wonder if the person I linked it for even bothered to read beyond the blah little photos.

EDIT And all for the sake of wasting space. If I run my browser in full screen mode, look how much of the page is nothing:

This post was edited by writersblock on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 17:18

• slush1422
    11 years ago

I agree! I haven't been on here in a few weeks and tried to look at a reveal and the effect of the tiny photos is terrible. Also I went to an older thread of mine and my photos are stretched out too. For a forum that relies heavily on photos, I can see this being very annoying. I hope they change it.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arrggghhh, I just went to my little kitchen reveal thread that I posted last year, and most of the photos look like they were taken in the Fun House. What a legacy! Who'd want a kitchen that looks like a herd of elephants sat on it?

Please GW, tell us how to remedy this.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES