Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pneff_gw

medallion cherry pecan cabinets

pneff
12 years ago

Hi! I'm new to this so hopefully I'm doing this right. I'm about to purchase $15,000 of Medallion Designer Gold series cabinets in Cherry Pecan, door style is Providence. Does anyone have anything they can tell me or show me your cabinets if you have these. I'm getting cold feet!!!! My kitchen already has the tile floor (terracotta color) and I'm keeping the floors. I wanted to do either Shivakashi or Typhoon Beaurdeux granite and again, don't know which way to go. Does anyone have any of this in their kitchen and wouldn't mind sharing their photos so I can visualize.

Comments (15)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Don't have a photo, but I think that is the finish (don't know the door style name) of a display near me. I went with a different maker to get frameless and a different dealer, but if that is the finish, it is very near my cherry finish and I liked it even more when I saw the display than I had a single door. Medallion is a good cabinet line. The one thing I see that gives me some pause is the terra cotta floor. You've got a lot of red in both the cherry (toned down by pecan finish) and the terra cotta - going more orange. Make sure they work together in your room, and I'd try to avoid red in your granite -- go creamy or to the Uba Tuba green to black side.

Also, Not to panic you, but do keep in mind that you are taking a chance with removing and replacing cabinets on top of a tile floor. I would be prepared for chipped or broken teracotta tiles in the remodeling process. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst -- a phase 2 project doen the line. It is a chance you have to take with any tile, but teracotta is more prone to cracks than some other tiles. I had porcelain tiles and wound up wishing I had ripped the floor out and started over. In my case, it was primarily a matter of inferior craftsmanship in the patching. Lived with it for a few years and replaced it last November.

• pneff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. I never thought about tiles chipping!!!! Will have to tell my contractor to be super careful or be ready to replace if something chips. do still have 2 boxes of the tile that was left over from years ago. If anyone has picture of Medallion providence style door in cherry pecan finish, please show me your kitchen!!! I've only seen a small wood sample in the showroom and not even a door!! I'm so scared to regret my choice without first seeing what this even looks like.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Well before my whole kitchen got scrapped, this is the door style I was going with. I love it, and I also love cherry with the pecan finish...it's a beautiful color and Medallion's finishes are so pretty. Go with your gut, it will be fine. Now how it will look with the terracotta tiles... that I don't know.

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

We have Medallion cherry with pecan stain in our master bath. I think the door style is Santiago. But maybe this picture will give you some idea of the color. The floor tile looks like slate and the counter is travertine.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

I just did a simple google search for Medallion cherry pecan and got several GW posts with pictures... Maybe that will help you?

Here is a link that might be useful: search

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

I think they look great
    Sometimes you have to pay for quality!!

• pneff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your bathroom cabinets are beautiful. Also love the counter top (travertine). I dont' know much about that material. It seems all the KD wants to sell is granite but some of it seems so busy and now I've heard for the first time that there were reports about radon in the granite? Of course my KD said not to "worry" about all that but I have small children and now I'm second guessing using granite.

• pneff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I need help with the granite choice. I am keeping my tile floors, terracotta with a mexican style 4x4 accent piece with a hint of green, blue and a little yellow in the accent piece (will try to attach a picture). We chose Medallion cherry pecan (a shade darker than natural cherry stain). We have some black and wrought iron accents throughout the kitchen and adjoining family room. I went to the granite yard this weekend and fell in love with typhoon bordeaux but was told by the granite yard salesperson that the granite color and my existing floors were "fighting each other" and that I needed a dark granite to make a statement. The salesperson suggested "absolute black" for the granite and I almost cried. I am finally re-doing the kitchen after 18 years of being in this house and hating my counter and cabinets from day one. I've dreamt of vainy, marbley granite counter tops forever and now my dreams are crushed. I looked at "Peacock green" (a darker color with hints of terracotta). It's a pretty consistent stone and looks pretty boring to me but once again I've been advised this will "look" best. Help me please. I have to keep the floors. They extend into the dining room and it's too expensive to change. I have stainless appliances, the terracotta floor with an accent (looks kind of southwesternish, mexican), I chose cherry cabinets and now don't know what to do about the counter tops. I'll take any advise from anyone who is a designer, expert or has a great eye for design. I don't have a clue!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

[O.T. mode on]
    Pecan cherry sounds like an ice cream flavor. Not clear how this can be a kind of wood. Is it rather spotty? The sample photo looks like it can tolerate spotty countertops.
    [we'll now return to your regularly scheduled conversation.]

• badgergal
    12 years ago

pneff: I thought you might like to see some pictures of verde peacock (peacock green) installed in a fellow GWer's kitchen. I have always loved granite with lots of movement in it .I have one in my bathroom called golden thunder. I thought I would have a vein type granite in my kitchen too but as you can see in my pictures, I went a totally different direction. My cabinets are natural cherry so probably lighter than what you are considering but I think the peacock granite would look good with your cherry pecan and your floors. I did have to look at 4 stone yards before I found the perfect peacock granite. They really did vary from place to place so I would suggest for whatever granite you end up choosing look it it at more than one location if you can.
    The camera flash and kitchen lights affect the picture a little but it should give you an idea of how the granite looks.

{{!gwi}}hotobucket.com/albums/aa477/badgergal/?action=view�t=26a4efe9.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

• pneff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

your kitchen is stunning but not my style. This would never work for my house, it's way too modern. Beautiful but too modern for me. Any other suggetions. Terracotta floors have to stay. I just ordered the cherry cabinets, one shade darker than natural. Need granite color ideas.

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

pneff:
    Sorry you are having this dilemma...take a look at this site which shows pages of kitchens and granites. If you see something that you like, just click the photo and it will tell you what the stone is. I think you will find a granite that suits you and goes well with your cabinets and terracotta floor. BTW, I almost went with the medallion cherry pecan for our islands, but decided on maple with a ginger snap finish instead, to compliment the Divinity White perimeter countertops. Also remember, cherry will darken over time, so the cabinets will not remain the lighter shade for long -- keep that in mind when shopping for stone!

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen/granite photos

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

bump

• pneff
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What does bump mean???

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Pneff,

"bump" is just a message left on a thread that will "bump" it back on the front page for higher visibility.

HTH

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x