Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any updated reviews of honed/brushed granite- looks and upkeep??

Posted by scrappy25 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 11:28

Hi , I searched but the longer review threads on honed/leathered/brushed granite are all from pre-2010. I'd like to see your updated experience with honed or brushed/leathered granite- which type, how it looks day to day, how easy it is to clean, and how often you have to seal it. Also how much extra you think it was to have it honed/brushed/leathered. If you could post a picture, that would be even better!

I am particularly interested in darker granites. Not sure why my big box stores now have absolute black as a level granite so may just go for the uba tuba.

thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any updated reviews of honed/brushed granite- looks and upkee

I haven't had mine long enough to answer most of your questions, but I do know that I paid $5 sf to have it honed.

o

I had Nordic black antique in my previous home. When we moved out a year ago, it looked as good as it looked when we put it in in 2006. It was a breeze to keep clean and I never sealed it. It was already "antiqued" when I picked it so I have no idea what the extra cost was.

o

We have both honed and brushed, (or antiqued) Cosmic Black in our Kitchen. The honed is on the working space and on the two tier island, (which we love!), it is brushed. The granite is a mix of black, soft greys, creams and white, it does not read busy though.
We did not want anything polished and are over the moon with the finishes. Neither the honed nor the brushed shows smudges or crumbs., (sometimes that is not good!). It looks clean all the time and the two finishes blend well together.
Our brushed is on our eating area, it is quite textured, definately not smooth in any way but this is our eating surface and works well for us. I would not have wanted antiqued or brushed on a working surface, a little too textured, but the honed is soft looking and cleans up well.
I have included a link to some pics if it works! I don't have time to sort, edit etc. and the file size is large so the link is the best I can do right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here