Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scrappy25 : my hacked Ikea rangehood

Posted by dawn_t (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 11:27

As requested: here you go :)

I started with a 30x24x24 fan cabinet frame (although in hindsight, a 30x30 base cabinet frame might have worked better).

I cut the face edges so that the cab was 20" deep and assembled with extra screws. 24" deep seemed to stick out too far over the stove...
I also raised the bottom of the frame so that it was recessed 4" up into the cab. This was so I could place the metal liner, for the blower, in the recess and it remained hidden. Just used a Broan 400 insert.

Attached 15x15 cab doors, and filled the gap below them with a piece(s) of 3/4" stock mdf. I cut a small arch in the stock to try and fancy it up and it reflects my doorway arches.

The small crown style shelf is just a cheap 30" floating shelf from Walmart. I think the corbels came from Rona and are probably meant as drapery holders lol. Plan to fill the holes with spackle (some day...)

I still need to line the sides as the cab sides are not long enough with the front piece added (see note above re: using 30x30 frame instead). And the whole thing needs filler pieces next to the wall cabs on either side.
Some day the crown molding and light rail will be added....

HTH,
Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scrappy25 : my hacked Ikea rangehood

wow, thanks! That is very creative and will look great once caulked. So the sides are the native 24" height? What did you mean by this statement since the Ikea cabs are usually solid at the bottom- did you just cut a hole for the exhaust pipe?
"I also raised the bottom of the frame so that it was recessed 4" up into the cab. "
Thank you for posting!

o

I'll see if I can explain it better:
Instead of building the cab box as usual, I moved the cabinet bottom piece, up inside, just enough that it would hide the metal liner and then fastened the bottom to the cab sides.

The metal liner is like an upside down cake pan when installed, and if I had attached it to the finished cabinet bottom, without recessing the bottom, it would have been completely visible...
It's been awhile, but I *think* I had to drill new holes for the camlock system, to attach the pushed up bottom.

The bottom has a large, square cut out that the blower intake rests over, and is covered with the grease screen. The blower will vent straight out the back wall, directly outside.

I say *will* because I'm waiting until DH goes on a fishing trip to finally cut the vent hole. He's having a fit about me cutting an exterior wall hole *rolls eyes*

o

Thanks for this! I love posts that make previously mysterious things seem possible.

LOL about waiting for DH to leave for a fishing trip.

o

Very creative!

o

Thanks!
Its a going on 6yr old kitchen that's never been officially "revealed" bahahaha :)

Not sure if it's due to exhaustion, lack of time, the unfinished state of it, insecurity, or the fact that it's usually covered in cats? No wait - it's because the camera's always MIA ......

That said, I'm proud of the fact that it's a complete DIY. DH says I built this house using only eBay, Walmart and Ikea :)

I do retire this fall (nursing) and I resolve to be finished by Christmas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here