Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsmama

Some of the best advice from the braintrust on this forum

gsmama
13 years ago

I was googling gardenweb and advice last night and came across a great thread that is no longer open but that had been bumped up a few times since it was started by justadncr in 2007 by asking everyone to share the best advice they'd picked up on this forum.

There are a bunch of gems I hadn't run across and wouldn't have even thought to ask or google (...you don't know what you don't know). Plumgold? Never MT? All news to me from reading the thread. I consolidated the info so that I could print it (it would have been a breathtaking 41 pages had I tried to print it straight...) and thought I'd share for other newbies and to maybe get any other additions...

The biggest tip I learned and did as a result was that lumberyards sometimes carry mainstream cabinet lines for less. The place I ordered for carries Dynasty Omega, Shiloh and Meridian and the bulk of their business goes to contractors which helped with the pricing in my case vs. going with a custom cabinet maker--I got a variety of quotes.

With thanks to the OP and everyone who shared, here is their wisdom (please pardon the formatting...my bullets are reading as diamonds with question marks. Oh well.):

Best advice I got from this forum:

� lay the kitchen out on the ground outside with all the measurements and walk around it to see if it felt right. I took my measurements and scraps of wood and laid them out in the various plans I had come up with.

� check out the sound of the fan in the new ovens. I would have been pretty steamed to spend a bunch on a new range and have that sound come blaring out each time I used the oven.

� putting Blumotion on the cabinet doors. This is my favorite feature in our kitchen and the cost was cheap to add these on after the cab install.

� "zones" on this forum, and designed my kitchen around them, with a tremendous amount of help from my forum friends. In my old kitchen, the dishwasher opened across from the island (right into the backs of my legs). Now, the cleanup zone is on the peninsula, the prep area is between the fridge and sink, etc. It's really wonderful.

� No air gap -- most modern dishwashers don't need them, so you don't have to have that extra unattractive "thing" on your countertop. Easy way around that if you need to pass code inspection is to drill the hole for air gap... pop it on for inspection and when they've gone take off the air gap and pop on your soap dispenser. Then put the loop in the hose at the back of your dishwasher...

� Advantium

� Miele dishwasher

� Test tube rack for spice storage

� Lay it out with tape to double check

� advice for setting up a temp kitchen

� Measure from 3 points wall to wall. Had I known this when we remodeled the entire house in 1990, I would now have the room to put in a pro-style range. As it is, I am exactly....1/4" short. Talk about frustrating! Our cabs are...

Comments (8)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

This is a good list. Thank you!

• ellaf
    13 years ago

I got a lot of good info from your list. Thanks!

• gsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If anyone has a suggestion for how to fix the formatting so it's easier on the eyes, I'll repost it. I just cut and past it here.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I don't know if you've read the "Read Me" thread, but the "Best Advice" and other, similar, threads are linked in it. They're located in the "Miscellaneous Information"-->"Helpful Threads" topic.

Here's your list, reformatted for ease of reading (see "Curious about text in messages (adding bold, italics, etc.)", also in the "Miscellaneous Information"-->"Helpful Threads" topic.)

++++++++++++

• lay the kitchen out on the ground outside with all the measurements and walk around it to see if it felt right. I took my measurements and scraps of wood and laid them out in the various plans I had come up with.

• check out the sound of the fan in the new ovens. I would have been pretty steamed to spend a bunch on a new range and have that sound come blaring out each time I used the oven.

• putting Blumotion on the cabinet doors. This is my favorite feature in our kitchen and the cost was cheap to add these on after the cab install.

• "zones" on this forum, and designed my kitchen around them, with a tremendous amount of help from my forum friends. In my old kitchen, the dishwasher opened across from the island (right into the backs of my legs). Now, the cleanup zone is on the peninsula, the prep area is between the fridge and sink, etc. It's really wonderful.

• No air gap -- most modern dishwashers don't need them, so you don't have to have that extra unattractive "thing" on your countertop. Easy way around that if you need to pass code inspection is to drill the hole for air gap... pop it on for inspection and when they've gone take off the air gap and pop on your soap dispenser. Then put the loop in the hose at the back of your dishwasher...

• Advantium

• Miele dishwasher

• Test tube rack for spice storage

• Lay it out with tape to double check

• advice for setting up a temp kitchen

• Measure from 3 points wall to wall. Had I known this when we remodeled the entire house in 1990, I would now have the room to put in a pro-style range. As it is, I am exactly....1/4" short. Talk about frustrating! Our cabs are in great shape and I love them, but I'm stuck with the 29-7/8" width on the range.

• I really like this that I stole from Dmlove--- I love not having all those cords on my desk/countertop! So best advice from this forum... details make the difference! for now my phone sits over the hole

• pull down (rather than pull out or side spray) faucet

• Bluestar, after asking about the best 30 inch slide-in range

• batch-feed garbage disposals

• adding outlets

• Galaxy Tool Supply for our sink

• Never MT

• Plugmold

• Wide/shallow cabinet for William Sonoma ultra-thin step stool.

• Airswitch on disposal. Never minded the wall switch, but now that I have a nice backsplash and an island

• Floodstop on icemaker and washing machine.

• I put power into the back of 4 drawers, so each family member has a place to charge the cell phone (or camcorder or whatever) out of sight.

• I also have a false panel behind a niche so that the power / wallwarts / phone wire / wireless...

• gsmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks, buehl, I'll have a close read. I had wanted to be able to print the best advice list out and thought I'd share the shortened list. Wasn't meaning to duplicate.

• Katie S
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!! Thanks so much for posting this!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

gsmama,
    Great thread. Thanks for posting.
    ~boxer

• Sherri Stein
    13 years ago

Thank you so very much for this list! I have been designing my kitchen for a year now. I had to give up my project because I've been very sick. But, I'm starting to feel better now and can't wait to begin. But, due to both being sick and this fabulous website - a lot has changed in the year. My kitchen has to be ADA compliant - an interesting challenge. But, you have given me tons of information to hand over to my KD.

Many thanks!