Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Granite Install - Backsplash Seam

Posted by teal123 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 11:23

Hi everyone, We just had our granite installed yesterday. I am happy with all of it except one place where two pieces come together on the backsplash. It is in a corner that is very visible. It looks like they tried to match the backsplash with the counter below, but the two backsplash pieces don't match each other. Does anyone know if a piece or two of backsplash can be removed and replaced now that it is in? Also, do you think I should ask them to replace it, or just live with it? Any advice is greatly appreciated - Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Granite Install - Backsplash Seam

Here is another picture so you can see it from a distance.

o

Here is another picture so you can see it from a distance.

o

It's natural stone. I think it looks fine. I'd let it be

o

I'm not an expert just a homeowner but i think it looks great. I wouldn't mess with it. Especially with all the problems you see with seams, if your seems are good and tight I would be afraid to mess around with a reinstall.

o

It looks fine. You'll never notice it once you've lived with it for a while. If you want it redone....it should be at your expense. The fabricators did a really nice job. I would not expect them to re-do this at no charge.

o

It's not the best, but its ok. I would probably just put something in that corner so it won't be noticeable.

o

Was there a better piece left on the slab? I wouldn't be happy with just that one dark piece, but if you didn't attend the template layout and just let them cut how they wanted to, you can't really complain. You'll have to ask them if it can be replaced at your cost.

o

The abrupt change in color would bother me too. All you can do is ask what they can do about it. You'll never know if they could have done better.

Was there a templating done for you to see? This is why that's such a good idea. The problems can be addressed then. For all they know you might have wanted to purchase more stone if there was no way around it. Or maybe your standards are just higher than the fabricator's and you could have pointed it out then so he could have made some adjustments.

I don't think you are being picky, but after the fact, you can't know if it could have been avoided.

o

bring it to the attention of your contractor and go from there.

I have had granite installed by a stone artist, and he removed a piece on install day because he did not like the way it flowed. he wouldn't even let me comment, he just said he did not want it there. I waited another week then he completed the job.

I have had granite installed by three other companies (four installs total) who either did not give a s***, or lacked attention to detail, and made me feel bad for asking about details.

it doesn't hurt to ask, see what response you get. In three months, if it still bothers you, your request will certainly fall on deaf ears, if you ask now there is a chance to fix it.

o

I am sooooo glad I'm not a fabricator.

o

I think they did a beautiful job. It looks great. You are reacting to the backsplash because it's new but in a few days your eye will become accustomed to the way it looks and any color differences in the granite will fade into the background.

o

imo I would have them replace it. If I had to look at that every day it would drive me crazy.

o

Can you tell me what kind of granite this is? It's beautiful! The seam would probably bother me, too.

o

Well, I'm super picky, my DH would say anal. But this would not bother me unless it looks more obvious in real life. It is stone. having said that, it would bother me on a flat surface. Go figure.
However, if it bothers you, I'd ask if there's anything that can be done.

o

In the photo, it looks like that one backsplash piece is the only dark piece in the entire installation. It might not be so jarring in RL if there are actually more dark areas in the installation. However, I can see why the OP is concerned about it ... having the dark and light butt up against each other like is rather unfortunate ... your eyes are just drawn to that spot! Teal123, if you are the type of person who is bothered by that sort of thing, having people tell you that it doesn't bother THEM isn't going to make a bit of difference to YOU. If it bugs you, ask the fabricator what your options are.

o

It would bother me. I would ask if there is anything that can be done about it and if the answer is no, I would get a pretty accessory for that corner and you will be the only one that will notice it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here