Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3catz

Different color upper and lower cabinets?

mycatz
16 years ago

Looking for opinions on whether cream painted upper cabinets and darker (blackish brown?) would look odd. I currently have the typical builder's oak from the 80's and need to do a change on the cheap side. Because my current doors have ugly middle panels, knobs where I don't want them, and hand cut outs for opening, I would probably order new oak doors since we do like the look of painted oak. My concern is light colored cabinets on the bottom not staying clean and maybe too much cream color going on if they're all the same color. My kitchen and dining room are one big room separated by a long penisula. Has anyone gone w/ two colors and been happy w/ the results? Thanks for any input.

Comments (10)

• clax66
    16 years ago

I've ordered cream painted cabinets with a dark stained island. I have seen the look you describe and I like the contrast in colour, if the doors remain the same.

• msrose
    16 years ago

It wouldn't look odd at all. Aktillery's kitchen is like that and it's one of my favorites!

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Aktillery's kitchen

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

I think it would look fine. I love Aktillery's kitchen. We mixed painted and stained cabinets a little differently. We have a section of cabinets (uppers and lowers)stained and the island is stained but the rest of the cabinets are cream. I really like the way it came out. I too was worried that all cream was a little too much for me. Good luck.

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

I'm begging dh to let us do something like this, but he's not biting.

I love this kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinets

• dorothyct
    16 years ago

Agree on Aktillery's. I LOVE THAT KITCHEN!! Go see in the gallery if you have not already.

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

I just found this and showed dh, and he actually said we could give it a try. Said if it sucked, we could paint :)
    He's such a good guy.

I'm loving this idea, I'm just not sure my smallish kitchen could take it.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinets

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Goodness, I would never have thought to do that but it looks great!

• raenjapan
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more from my idea file. I like the look. {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

raenjapan, those are both beautiful!!
    One of my favorite kitchens had a beautiful green on the bottom cabs, and white on the top. I've been searching and cna't find the pic :( But, I loved it.

• mycatz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, some neat examples...do you think it would look ok in a kitchen on the smaller side? My kitchen is U-shaped and nowhere near as large and open as the photos. Funny, I grew up in an old house and remember some pretty wild color combos my mother painted the kitchen cabs...pink and green in the 50's and apple green and dark chocolate in the 60's. After that, the "antiquing" craze came in and they were all one color.