Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epaine_gw

What color do I paint the cabinets?

EPaine
13 years ago

Hello everyone, i am very new to posting on this site but have been addicted to reading posts about kitchens for a couple weeks now. I really want to start the painting process but I am having a problem deciding on a white/creamy color for the cabinets. I have painted the doors BM semi gloss White Dove and they look bright white to me, also the doors look like they have a Vinyl coating on them. So i guess i am asking for help with a color on the cabinets, I am now leaning toward a Creamy White, my counters are Formica (lol, I know)and they sort of have a grayish black to them. I plan on keeping them due to lack of funds for now. Also the back sliding doors face West so i get TONS of light in the summer! Any thoughts and comments would be very appreciated! Thank You!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Kitchen

Comments (12)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

In BM, linen white is popular if you want something creamier, or cotton balls for a soft white but not too creamy.

The only real way to know is to test them. You can get sample pots, put it on plywood (say 8x10 pieces) and prop it up in your kitchen. There is just no way around trial and error.

Perhaps surprisingly, white is the hardest color to choose. All white has color in it, and it can end up being blue or yellow or pink or .....

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Have you considered satin vs semi gloss?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I echo the suggestion to consider satin. BM Mascarpone seems white, but slightly creamy in my light. Very pleasing. Get some chips of the whites you're considering, look at them in your light at home, choose a couple you like, then buy some samples to test out in your light. White is HARD!

Here is a list of white/off whites I've made from others here who have painted theirs:

BM:
    White Dove
    China White
    Mascarpone
    Bone White
    Linen White
    Ivory White
    Cloud
    Chantilly Lace

SW Casa Blanca

Behr Powdered Snow

• mbw1
    13 years ago

Ours are painted Timid White using Benjamin Moore Cabinet Coat.....it's nice soft white.....doesn't look creamy white until you put actual white up against it, then you can really tell the difference

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

I spent a lot of time trying to find the "perfect White" that was neither too gray, too white, too pink or too yellow. Many times I thought I had the perfect color until I lived with it for a couple days. After painting lots of sample pieces and observing them under the various light conditions during the day I decided on SW Casa Blanca. For me it was perfect "creamy white".

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Ours are BM Acadia White, which I really love---we didn't pick it (some "color consultant" chose it for all the trim in our house when the PO was getting ready to sell) but we loved it in the rest of the house and chose to match it in the kitchen. I was nervous since the kitchen would be Aura paint and the rest of the house was oil-based, which had yellowed over time to a really creamy white---but it turned out perfectly.

Not great lighting, but here's Acadia White:

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I chose powdered snow by Behr.
    It was on a total whim as I prefer to use BM paints but
    this color was exactly what I wanted with the lighting
    in my kitchen.

Now it is not for everyone. It can come across as too
    creamy. My kitchen has buckets of light from 2nd story
    windows, many windows around the breakfast area and
    the way the light plays around the space. This soft color
    for my kitchen was perfect. I also have white painted
    trim and I wanted them to look as close as possible but
    still be different.

And keep in mind the age of your home. An antique home
    will not be a stark white it would be a softer more
    off white of sorts. And a newer home might be crisp white
    with it's trim. I found myself pouring over white samples
    from every paint company around me. I drove my family
    nuts.

I urge you to spend $50 on some paint samples. Get a few
    various ones you like or the most popular and see which
    one works for you. I wanted a flat matte finish for my
    cabs. I chose eggshell.

Here is a cool link about white paints. Good luck and
    once everything is done you will love the look.
    ~boxer
    (A white kitchen fan)

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Evolution

• rayle
    13 years ago

What color are your walls and flooring? If it were me, I would consider them in my decision of cabinet color. As mtnrdredux said,"All white has color in it," so consider the colors that are already in your kitchen to guide you to the correct "white" for your situation.

• EPaine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You all so much for your comments, I am really leaning toward BM White Dove, not sure what type of finish yet possibly Satin. Rayle- My floors are light oak laminate and the walls right now are SW Meadow Trail with accent wall in SW Cargo Pants. I do plan on repainting the kitchen something light and airy, I was thinking BM Wickham Grey, as my counters have a grayish/blueish/black tone to them. I have put up some samples of "Creamy" Colors for the cabinets and it just doesnt look right with the counters! Geez, who thought picking out a "White" would be so hard! Thank You All!

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I did BM Linen White Satin Impervo. Two years now and they are holding up great!

• worldmom
    13 years ago

We fell in love with Ace "Chalk," but I'm a fan of BM paints so we had it color matched at Sherwin Williams.

I think part of the reason the white you tried looks so white is because you can see it adjacent to your current cabs. White Dove is a popular white, so I don't think you chose poorly. :o) If you hold up a white sheet of paper next to it, you'll be able to see that it isn't really a bright white. And I agree that going to a satin will help.

• prill
    13 years ago

Mine are BM White Dove. Not really a white, white at all, more creamy. We used satin impervo.

You can tell that next to the white sink, they are creamier.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz