Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it safe to use bleach or BKF with pol. chrome sink strainer?

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:12

I am considering buying the Kohler Duostrainer. My sink is SS and faucets are polished chrome. I can justify paying $40 for the PC Duostrainer rather than using the strainer that came with the sink, but over $100 for stainless seems too high.

I have seen posts that say to buy stainless rather than nickel or ORB strainers, as the finish on those can be damaged by cleaning products like bleach or Bar Keeper's Friend. What about polished chrome for a strainer or GD flange? Is the finish on polish chrome easily damaged by cleaning products?

Alternatively, are there high quality SS basket strainers made by another company that cost less than the Kohler?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it safe to use bleach or BKF with pol. chrome sink straine

I don't think chrome can be hurt by anything! Okay, avoid harsh abrasives (although I use Comet and the like with no ill-effect). Bleach is fine. There's a reason chrome has been popular for so long. It's really GOOD.

o

I've used BKF on my polished chrome fixtures (kitchen and bath) for over a decade without issue. I'm not a big bleach user so can't comment on that.

o
RE: thanks

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm usually a soft scrub girl, but DH feels the need to pour bleach down the drain every so often. Of course, that urge may go away with the nasty sink, disposal and pipes the PO left us, lol.

o

Isn't the active ingredient in Soft Scrub bleach? Or do I just buy the "Soft Scrub with Bleach" version? I used to soak my pink Corian sink overnight in bleach every so often to keep it pink. Chrome can take it. Just ends up shinier. :)

o

I know you have already gotten the message that bleach and oxalic acid (BKF) are safe for chrome. Thought I would point out that the reason stainless steel is stainless is BECAUSE of the chromium that is in it. Chromium forms an oxide on the surface of itself (or on stainless steel) that protects the rest of the metal from corroding.

o

Fori, I don't know if all Soft Scrub has bleach, or just the bottlles that say "with Bleach."

Angie, thanks for the explanation -- good to know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here