Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ootm_mom

Argh! Crown cabinet and crown wall problem!! Installers here!

OOTM_Mom
10 years ago

Problem, I want my cabinets 20" from counters. That buts the top of the molding from my cabinets, about two inches into my crown on the wall. Cabinet crown is brown, wall crown is white. And that only on the wall with the 42" cabinets. On the opposite wall, with 36" cabinets it is all below the wall crown, and i get my 20" clearance.

What should I do? Lower everything to the standard 18", or cope the cabinet crown on the 42" cabinets to keep my 20" clearance? Second option would have crown coped on two walls and have it below crown on the third fridge wall. I reall wanted the 20", my old cabinets were at 24". Will I notice the crown being coped in on one side and not the other?

They are waiting for a decision downstairs! Ugh!

Comments (8)

• jerzeegirl
    10 years ago

IMO, the crown on the cabinets is the finishing touch and should be what unifies all the parts of the kitchen so I feel that the crown should look the same throughout the kitchen. However, you have to decide whether you can live with the 18" of space (especially since you are used to more than that). I could most certainly (and do) live with it and prefer it. Any higher and I would be dragging out the step stool every five minutes.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Standards are standards for a reason. If you ever have to sell your home, that 18" will be the best choice.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

I just want to add, that as someone who opted for 21" distance between counters and uppers, I *really* love the extra height. I know everyone talks about 18" being standard, but that means we're *all* standard. I'm 5'9", my man is 6'4". 18" is a PAIN because you kinda have to crouch a little to see under the cabinets. The 3" difference made it feel more natural for us, and I *love* it. So does he. We feel awkward at "standard" houses now, but we love our choice. I'd say you should consider what will effect how you utilize your kitchen (trimming mouldings or lowering cabinets) and use that to make your choice.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

I'd go with the 18". It is industry standard and most people are fine with it (I just measured mine and they are 17.75"). If I walked in a kitchen and saw 24" I would wonder why they wasted 6" of storage at the easiest level to access it, or I would assume they were REALLY tall :D.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not tall, I just got used to reaching. What I like about the extra height is the asthetic. It really makes the space feel more open and larger. And I dont want my vitamix to look like its crammed under the counter...its at 17.5".

They may be able to gain me 1/4" by putting crown lower on cabinet.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally gave in. Told them to install as high as they could keeping cabinet molding under wall crown. That will be about 18" clearance above counters, not counting light rail, which makes it even smaller. i am NOT happy, but the options to make it work at 20" would have looked stupid. Even the good expensive options would have looked stupid I believe. Cause I would have paid for it if it didnt look stupid. I sure hope I dont hate the 18" clearance. I had 24" clearance for 8 years so this is a Major change for me. I'm not so good with change...but I need this to be over so change it is.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I think you did the right thing because it would look goofy to cut in crown like that, IMO.

I have my current cabs at 20" and am putting the cabs in the new kitchen at 18... I'm 5'8" and I can't quite reach the top shelf unless something is right on the edge. Sick of that. So, it goes both ways for people, it seems.

Still think looking at that crown cobbled up would have made you deeply regretful.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

I should have clarified, my space is 17.75 below the crown. The crown is probably 3 inches so the actual bottom of my cabinets is at 20.75.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County