Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

****Urgent Urgent!! ****I won that backsplash-will it work?

beekeeperswife
14 years ago

You need to tell me what to do!!!!

I entered a contest for a free backsplash. I really liked it, of course I haven't seen it in my kitchen. I just got an email--I won. Holy carp--I need a Yes or No from you guys right now. Oh, I do have to pay 50% deposit and it will be refunded once it is installed and photographed for their website. So, it's not like I can just say, send it and I'll decide. If you like it, and vote yes, tell me if you think I should get enough to go up the wall where the hood is too!!

I just talked to them, they are sending me a sample of the white and the ivory to decide. Also, each arabesque is approximately 4" in size.

OMG--I'm so excited--

Here it is:

{{!gwi}}

Oh, and in case you haven't been bored enough with my kitchen photo, here it is again:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (82)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Congratulations! A great opportunity if you love the tile. It certainly will look nice, but will it 'zing' every time you walk in the kitchen and do what you wanted? If so, go for it and have fun!

• squigs
    14 years ago

OMG! Yay. That is so exciting! I thought your kitchen was magazine-worthy, and now it'll be splashed across the pages!! Aren't you glad you couldn't make up your mind? haha!

I still vote for stopping at the hood, but either way you CANNOT GO WRONG!! If you go all the way up, maybe, with the money you're saving, you could have a little tilting can light installed in front of the range to light it up, maybe??

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hahaha, oh yeah, my dh loves to get up in the attic over the garage! That would be kinda cool--two teeny recessed lights, one on each side of the hood, washing the wall with light......If he doesn't go for that he will just have to finish up the lighting and get the over the cabinet lights finished!

• corgimum
    14 years ago

I've been following your backsplash threads and really like this tile and the subway tiles. I tried to photoshop the arabesque tile onto your wall. It didn't come out great. The photo I used is dark so I don't think the colors came out true to life. But maybe it will give you a feel for the texture.
    {{!gwi}}

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

How marvelous!
    I think it will give your gorgeous kitchen the elegant back splash it deserves!

Can't resist . . . that's a honey of a deal, beekeeperswife!
    ~ Nonnyx2

• megpie77
    14 years ago

OK, now I love it even more thanks to corgimum.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, that's yummy, if I do say so myself. Corgimum-you rock!

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

I have been following your threads for quite some time, and think your kitchen is perfect for this tile. I've even sampled this tile myself but the ivory was too light for my creamy cabinets. Run,don't walk to put this on your walls...it is just a great punch of elegance. Everything is going to have something as a drawback (be it thebevel is more difficult tocleanor not). They did an excellent job picking your kitchen for this tile. Your chandeliers, your granite all just complement this tile. Go for it!

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it for your kitchen!!!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I think it's unanimous!

And since I forgot in my earlier post -- CONGRATULATIONS!

• smiling
    14 years ago

That is so cool and so exciting! Congratulations! I think it has an elegant look that is perfect for your kitchen, and I vote to go all the way up.

In the midst of all the Yesses! and excitement, I hesitate, but just want to whisper a concern about how you will handle the outlets and switches. It looks like you have several, and I wonder (given their placement) how you will handle the disruption of the flowing arabesque pattern. There are some amazing faux-painted covers that mimic a backsplash, just wanted to nudge the idea into view.

By carrying the tile up the hood wall, you will maximize the pattern area and minimize the effects of outlets/switches.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

smiling--hmmmm- good point--didn't we have a poster who tiled over theirs???

any more information on the faux painted covers? I guess we will just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Anybody else? How would you handle this? We absolutely positively cannot move those outlets, I am sure it would be grounds for divorce if I even suggested it.

and Squigs--my dh is considering the extra lights....

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Wow! Wow! Wow! Congratulations! That tile is so gorgeous and will add the perfect something to your space. Not instrusively dramatic, but unexpected. Love!

• smiling
    14 years ago

Here's one source for faux painted covers, the last image on the right shows a tile one.

(I have NO connection with them, just found on a google peek)

Here is a link that might be useful: faux source

• dianne47
    14 years ago

I agree with the PP who mentioned it might be a little difficult to clean this particular tile. It is really good-looking and will complement your elegant kitchen very well.

Just be sure to get the "arrangement" IN WRITING. What about install, is that included in the prize? Make sure you have a good tile person and get every detail spelled out on paper.

Mu guess is you "won" due to how beautiful your kitchen already is - and they know it will photograph so well.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Congratulations and that gorgeous tile looks so good in your kitchen. It should go all the way up.

Maybe there is a coordinating tile in the same series that would work as an inset over the range. Since you need to purchase additional tile anyway, you could look at some options.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Congratulations! The tile is gorgeous and you should definitely use it! I vote to only tile up to the hood since your cabinets don't go all the way up to the ceiling. In your kitchen, I like the look of the paint color behind the hood - it breaks up all the white and the color is so elegant. Good luck!

• redroze
    14 years ago

That arabesque tile is perfection. It will give your kitchen such a classy, distinct feel that I know you were craving. I think you should go with the ivory, but once the samples in can you post new pics?

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

I meant "not intrusively dramatic." Can't type! And I think I like ivory. Looking forward to seeing your sample pics!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"What about install, is that included in the prize?"

Contest rules and letter from company stated in addition to the tile and shipping, they will give $100 towards the installation.

The way I look at it is, I was going to have to have some tile istalled anyway!

• cal_sunshine
    14 years ago

Congratulations! I think the backsplash will look amazing in your kitchen. Your kitchen is the right mix of elegant and classic that will go perfectly with that tile. The only thing is that I'm not sure about it going all the way up but other than that it is gorgeous and your kitchen is beautiful so enjoy!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I like the tile. But proceed cautiously. Mission Stone and Tile has a B- BBB rating-not that great. The principal named on the BBB papers is not Mary Elizabeth Husley. Could just reflect a sale of the business recently. But... Get everything in writing. Check that the price they're charging for the tile is not out of line. Know your options for returning the tile if the quality is inferior. You'll probably want to know the declared value of the prize for tax purposes, too.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

The tile is very pretty. Congrats on winning!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wrote back to the President of the company, Mary Elizabeth. I asked her for the regular price of the tile, I asked what would happen if the tile was not what I was expecting as far as quality goes--along with my return options. I asked since the BBB has them rated a B- could she send the rules to me in writing via mail.

Regarding that BBB rating, I did look at it and it said that they were rated that way because they didn't have information about the company, and there was one complaint that a customer had received damaged materials, but it also said that it was resolved by the company. So, I will wait and see what she says. Since the rules are posted on the web and also in the email I received, I think she won't have a problem with sending me a written copy.

The value of the prize is $800.

I will proceed cautiously.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Congratulations - It'll be beautiful.

• corgimum
    14 years ago

A picture of the tile up to the bottom of the hood:

{{!gwi}}

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Wow, that is so awesome that you won! I agree w/ dianne47; I'm sure they picked yours b/c they could see that your kitchen would be the perfect setting to showcase their tile in--and they're right :-D

Congrats again; can't *wait* to see the final install!

Re: where to stop the tile--I'm thinking you'd need to go all the way up...but count me as a very hesitant vote. Not really sure what would be the best way to do it...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Corgimum--thanks again for another picture, any chance you want to try the tiles to the top of the cabinets?

I understand if you can't. Thanks for the other 2 pics!

• ajard
    14 years ago

Totally !!! love it and the kitchen

• lindiver
    14 years ago

Congratulations! I liked the Italian tile that you asked about before, but this is even better. Can't wait to see it installed.

• prill
    14 years ago

I had some dealings with this company when I was looking for tile. I ordered some samples and the sales rep sent a bunch of things I hadn't even asked for. When I e-mailed about it, he said he looked through his special order items and saw some things he thought I might like. Not too many places give you this kind of personal customer service anymore. I was pretty impressed.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Why hesitate?

• trish21
    14 years ago

I think it will be beautiful. If you have a lawyer friend I do urge you to have them do you a favor of reviewing the documents. The paying 50% down is a red flag that would concern me. I want this to be legit for you!!! My immediate
    thought is how about running the tile even with the tops of the cabinets/trim. Corgimum anyway to photoshop that? I also like the rectangular tiles that help create the pattern under the hood in positano's photo. That would be beautiful if you decide to only run the tile to the hood or top of the cabinets.

• corgimum
    14 years ago

Here's the tile to the top of the crown moulding:

{{!gwi}}

and this one is to the top of the cabinets (below crown):

{{!gwi}}

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

I am so happy for you!! It is going to be beautiful in your already beautiful kitchen.
    Elegant, classy and unique.
    Congratulations!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Congratulations...it will look awesome, what a great texture for your kitchen. I like the picture of the tile to the top of the cabinets...but that is just MHO.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Yup -- Top of the cabinets but below the crown --
    Though they're all gorgeous.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Look hard at the angle of the slope on the sides of the hood and then at the angle of the tile pattern behind them in the photos. Not sure whether the angles would duel each other in real life. You might want to draw one more image that stops the tile at the bottom of the hood.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    14 years ago

I agree with Steff 1 about possibly using a complimentary tile behind the stovetop, something that is going to be a little easier to keep clean. Kind of a reverse accent piece from what you typically see. But maybe if the tile is smooth enough it won't be too hard to clean. Still, I can envision little grease smears being difficult to remove around those curvy ridges. I think it is going to be gorgeous, whatever you decide. I vote for the tile going up to the top of the cabinets or just up to the crown molding-not sure which I prefer. You have a lovely kitchen and this tile will be awesome.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, Haven't been around all day, was out doing errands, including returning the sample boards of the Daltile!

Everybody, you have made me feel so good about this. I appreciate all of your encouragement. A few people have expressed concern about the 50% deposit, I have asked for it in writing, in a letter, although I suppose a print out of the letter they sent me via email with the image of the President's business card could be printed.

If I look at this from their viewpoint, they are looking for a kitchen to install their newest tile, and use this kitchen for photos for advertising. If they were to send this tile to someone, what is the motivation for the winner to get it installed in a timely manner? Contract says it should be done in 20 days from receipt and ready for photos. Once the photos are taken, the amount is credited back to the credit card. I will only need to pay for the amount I need over the 35 sq feet.

Hearing Prill's story (I think you told us that before, I was tryig to remember who it was!) makes me feel more comfortable as well.

Again, if the company has nothing to hide I am sure she will not be offended by my request to put the contract in writing and send it to me. Also, by using a credit card/ or even Paypal, I also feel secure. Glad they don't want a check.

I guess the difference in sq feet between the top of the cabinet and to the ceiling is not very much, so I will plan on getting enough to go all the way in up, and just make that decision when it is here. Watch for "during" pictures that I'll post--I'm sure I'll have some tiles ductaped up there waiting for votes!

I am so excited about this, I really do love this tile, I think it is the one that was "meant to be". Now if I could find the rug from Elle Decor's November issue--it has the same arabesque pattern in it--I NEED that rug for my family room area in there!

• profrip
    14 years ago

This tile is PERFECT! I vote for top of cabinet height, but it's so gorgeous that any height will be fine!

I'm not very worried about legitimacy. Your credit card is a pretty good safe guard if there is a problem at the end in terms of them not sending materials etc.

I don't think cleaning is an issue. It is a glossy tile. It will clean just fine. It's a trivial issue compared to keeping the grout clean (an issue with whatever you install). So simply install with minimal grout distance.

I may need to seriously consider this tile for my self!

• smiling
    14 years ago

Seeing corgimum's pics, I think the best look is stopping the tile at the top of the cabinets, not at the top of the crown. With the wall color, I like being able to see the profile of the crown, and you kinda lose that when the white tile goes up to the white crown.

(Florantha has a very good point about the diagonals of the hood and tile competing with each other, and you may want to watch that very closely as the tile is being laid out before install.)

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

IT's awesome!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I like the tile up to the crown so the crown stands out. I would use a credit card and get everything in writing. The backsplash is beautiful. I can't wait to see pictures! What grout color are you using? I like my grout color to blend but that is me. Your kitchen is beautiful as it is right now and a stunning backsplash will enhance it even more.

• cocontom
    14 years ago

Even if you give them a 50% deposit that they don't return, you would still get the tile for 50% off and $100 off the install.

• natesgram
    14 years ago

It looks beautiful, lucky you. I think before you go ahead with accepting, you might want to know more about the installation. You get $100 off of how much? And how much will they charge to do the grouting? Sounds like you have a total of $900 off of something but you'll want to know how much more you have to come up with. You have a beautiful kitchen, even without the backsplash.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

natesgram--they are giving me $100 towards the installation. We are going to do it ourselves,(along with a friend who has done tiling professinally). The whole kitchen is a DY--why stop now? They are notsupplying the grout--just the tile.

cocontom--that's what I was thinking. And it's not like I needed to give a cc to ship the samples. If they are icky, then I'm calling it off.

corgimums photoshop pictures are great. But I realized last night that the tiles are a bit big in the photoshop pictures. The tile is 6.5" tall, so there should be about 6 arabesques between the counter and the cabinet. I hope this doesn't look too busy IRL. Well, I think that the picture I showed above is for one tile, I can sort of see the edges in the corners. Originally I thought each arabesque was a tile, but I went back and can't see any seams. I guess I'll know soon--I hope my samples come tomorrow

• corgimum
    14 years ago

I went by the info in your first post when you said each arabesque was 4" tall. So I figured you had about 18" between the counter and bottom of cabinet. So I sized the tile so that 4 1/2 arabesques would fit.

Take a clear picture of the actual tile when you get it and list the measurements and I can make a more true to life mock-up. If you include measurements (counter to cabinet) that would help, too.

I think these tiles will look great in your kitchen. Since they are all one color, I don't see them busy at all and I love the texture and pattern.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

corgimum--I thought each tile was one arabesque too--I thought that is what they said, but when I look at the photo, I see the edges of the tile--I guess we'll know soon. Even if each arabesque is smaller than your photoshopped pic, I think it will still look good too. Like you said, since it is white on white, it will work.

I will post a photo of the real tiles when they get here.

• davismom
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife,
    Love your kitchen!! We are also using Bianco Antico for our counters with white cabinets and a stained island. Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Could you please tell me the brand of your range hood? I love the shape! Thanks.
    P.S. The backsplash that you won is incredible! Congratulations.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH