Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curved flooring transition between kitchen and family room?

Posted by spartans99 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 11:03

Does anyone have a step down between their kitchen and family room that is a curved arch instead of being squared off? If so, I would love to see pictures.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curved flooring transition between kitchen and family room?

A friend's mom did this. No pics, but it was a nice touch.
I'd be a bit careful about the edges. People tend to step off badly if it narrows or the path of traffic is such that were one steps it's not a normal step.

I don't know if that made any sense, but in the long run it looked pretty.

o

Here's my curved steps from kitchen into family room

photo _VAC1701.jpg

And from family room into hallway

photo _VAC1702.jpg

Hope this helps.

o

Thank you both!

@monkeyjac - the picture of your curve in the kitchen to family room is exactly what we are looking at doing except we only have one step instead of two. Is the edge of the curve a wood transition? I think that looks wonderful! We have wood floors in the family room, but will have tile in the kitchen; I think the wood at the curved edge would look really nice just as you have it. This is very helpful - thank you again!

o

Monkeyjac, your curved steps look really lovely. I also think the wood edge detailing probably helps the eye see the narrowed step so it looks quite safe.

o

Yes, the edges of the steps are wood. This was for two reasons: so you could see where the steps begin easier and because there was no easy way to end the tiles at the edge of the steps that looked finished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here