Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zivman

Hardware selection.. got color samples from cabinet maker

Zivman
10 years ago

My lowers are being finished this week and will be installed this coming weekend, the 23rd. Cabinet maker came over to show me final samples. My lowers are a walnut, uppers are a white. Pic shows a counter top sample (bianco cream is what it is being sold as). We have all stainless appliances. I do have a couple fixtures around the kitchen area that are oil rubbed bronze.

so, ss or orb?

Comments (14)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I'm not usually any kind of silver fan, but in this case I'd choose that. It shows up nicely on both finishes without being in your face shiny!

You're going to have such a lovely kitchen!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Agree, the ORB is going to get lost on that beautiful dark walnut...

• kcorn
    10 years ago

What finish do you plan for your faucet? Will you have any pendant or other hanging lights in the space? If so, what is the finish? I ask because we are doing a similar design with walnut lowers and white uppers. SaltLife631's kitchen is our inspiration - link below (I hope they don't mind me referencing it). It looks like they did chrome or some type of silver and it stands out very nicely on both the walnut lowers and upper white cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: SaltLife631's kitchen

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

I also think the ORB gets lost and would go for the silver.

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

Getting lost might be what you're after unless you really want the hardware to signal for attention. Depending on the layout and number of knobs and pulls you will use, unobtrusive might be a good thing. (ORB would jump for attention on white but not walnut; sliver would leap out on the walnut.)

I used milk glass and porcelain on dark oak. The otherwise cool milk glass cup pulls on the 30" drawer banks ( 2 per drawer) just looked wrong. A little too eye-catching - lines of half moons.

• xc60
    10 years ago

SS is my vote, looks great with both choices.

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was really pushing the SS, then bought the orb to see what it looked like. wife and cousin (and another friend) vote orb.

what you all are saying is exactly what I was thinking, the orb would be lost in the walnut. But now, I'm thinking that might not be such a bad thing. I am debating how much I want the hardware to standout.

as far as what we have.. we have a peninsula that is open to a dining room with orb hanging light and the same on the opposite side with the eat in area of the kitchen. faucet is still up the air. at this point it is SS. I have a couple year old setup that I kind of planned on keeping since I haven't found anything I like better (not to say I like what I have). I have a hanging flowerpot pendant light over the sink that is bright red. other than that, all other lighting is recessed 6" cans with led retros in them

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I saw dark hardware on dark wood in a kitchen showroom and it looked very rich and classy.

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spartan, your link seems to more accurately reflect the walnut color I am seeing in person.... that said, I am looking at it with direct light so maybe it will look a little darker when installed. I have seen that kitchen, along with many others with varying hardware colors. some really look good, others not so good... just hard making that final decision. sometimes you need to just do a quick pic and run with it. too much thought sometimes ruins things

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

Lots of votes for the SS but I rather like the ORB. Good luck - not a wrong choice here.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I like the nickel with the granite, and the white, but really think that either will look nice.
    However, I tend to want things in a room to match, so that is a point in favor of the ORB.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I like the SS much, much better than the ORB.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have cherry cabs and used antique brass
    That being said, I agree with most and think ORB is too dark

• IAU IAU
    10 years ago

Beautiful hardware. I like ORB. What's the make and model? Thanks!