Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enright

anyone regret getting marble countertops?

enright
14 years ago

I really want marble despite the prevailing negative opinions about its use in kitchens. I would like to hear from those who actually went ahead against popular opinion and installed marble countertops. Do you regret it? Would you do it again?

Comments (27)

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I did Calcutta honed marble in my walk in pantry and I lvoe it! No regrets. I sealed it with 511 - and have had no staining or etching. I roll dough (between waxed paper) and bake in that area - we also have our microwave in there, so I have had coffee and red sauce spills. No issues to date and really love it. It is beautiful! Here are some photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble butlers pantry

• vrjames
    14 years ago

enright, may I ask whose popular opinion you are using?

We sell 50 slabs of Calacatta Gold 3 cm honed a month, for kitchens and could sell more.

White Carrara and Alabama White are sold as well, a lot of it.

Marble in a kitchen has rules. You cant break them or change them, you must be willing to accept them.

I shall sum up my 5 minute presentation, I give my customers with one sentence. Would you as the person you are, freak out and consider your countertops "ruined" if a stain were to show up in your stone?

If the answer is yes, marble is not for you.

Blessings

• cheri127
    14 years ago

What Vrjames says is absolutely true. We did a 3 1/2 ft marble baking counter and it is so beautiful I wanted to rip out my soapstone counters and replace them with marble! However, after the first couple of bad etches I'm soooooo glad the whole kitchen isn't marble. It doesn't bother many people, but it would surely bother me. But I'm still very happy with my small marble counter; it really is a thing of beauty.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

No regrets here. In fact it makes my heart sing every time I use the countertop. I think a pristine piece of stone (marble or soapstone in my kitchen) means it is not used, just there for looks. I'm not a 'just for looks' kinda gal. Like Cheri, mine is in the bakery. The slab is 60'' x 26''. I love the work surface. I regularly have two stand mixers going, roll, shape and cut dough, and cool & packagae baked goods on the countertop. I do not make anything is acidic or would stain (blueberries) on the marble because there is a 48''x 25'' porcelain counter next to the marble I can use. If it has etched since October, I have not noticed.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

From a friend with lovely Carrara in her kitchen: her only regret is that hers is polished instead of honed. Her kitchen is very Euro-sleek - think Bulthaup-style high-gloss flat front cabinets - and she wanted a glossy marble to stand up to the cabinets. Many months later, she regrets the finish. The marble was never going to be as flashy as the cabs, and the etches are more glaring when contrasted with all the mirror-like shininess elsewhere. She gets a lot of direct sunlight in her kitchen and the marble is a long, skinny island. With the sun on it, every etched area stands out and looks like a flaw - as if the polisher missed a spot.

She loves the color and heft of the marble but wouldn't make the mistake of a polished finish again.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

I absolutely LOVE my marble on my hutch but it IS for looks only. I don't use it as a working countertop but rather to display collectibles. It was installed about a week before they sealed it and it was perfect. When I came home from work the day they sealed it, I was disappointed to see small etchings or circular spots on the entire surface. The fabricators came back, took the marble piece outside to rework it and used a different sealer. Since then I protect it with my life - well almost to that extent. Fortunately, I have plenty of counter space so I don't need it as a working surface. Maybe it would be fine with the new sealer, but I don't want to take the chance. I'm probably the person that vrjames advises not to get marble.

However, in my opinion, no other countertop compares to the B-E-A-U-T-Y of marble!

• johnorange
    14 years ago

On the polished marble. I don't know much about polished vs. honed but I did install some marble tile in a couple of bathrooms. I used 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper with a vibrating sander to give a finish to some cut edges that were exposed. I wonder if your friend could lightly sand her polished marble with a very fine sandpaper....I wouln't even THINK of using sandpaper coarser than 600 grit and check with someone who knows more about this before trying it on your coutertop. Maybe this would help her take the sheen off the polished marble.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I put marble countertops in my master bath, and it was a catastrophe. Carrera. I didn't know then what I know now, so I didn't expect that every time you put down a wet toothbrush, it would leave a mark, or a glass dripping with a little mouthwash, it would leave a clear sharp ring. Nor was I prepared when I gently, gently laid my toilet tank cover on the countertop, careful not to break the porcelain, and picked it up, and suddenly found a huge gouge on the top of the marble.

In a kitchen? If you want wear, and patina, and a sense of age and history--you're absolutely fine. But you're not going to be able to carefully select the perfect, beautiful pattern of wine stains and lemon etches and pan scratches and perfect circles from the bottom of a wet can of peeled tomatoes. You're just going to accept what you get. And there are many kitchens in which what you get looks just fine.

But at the time, I had no idea. And the look did not fit or work with the bathroom at all.

• Jean Popowitz
    14 years ago

sigh.... I have honed marble throughout my kitchen including solid backsplashes. It looked lovely for all of 2 days, then the etching began. Yes, it was sealed almost 2 years ago. I'm still trying to scrub the rest of the sealant off, hoping that the etching will start to meld together. When the light hits it, it looks really bad. We are moving to a new house and going to rent this one out so it really doesn't matter anymore. No. I wouldn't use marble again.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My regret -- that I got something I thought was different and so many have followed with the same or so similar. ;-)

But it still feels like mine and the right thing for me. My perimeter counters are marble -- sink, cooktop and all.

My test is not the idea of a stain so much (and I don't have one on mine after 3 years in a house of messy guys) as it is thinking about how you wear denim (worn and soft or crisp and clean -- and are the worn spots your own or manufactured?) and linen (love it or hate the wrinkles?). I'm the former in both cases and wanted the softness and warmth of a hundred year old drugstore soda fountain or ice cream counter -- the corner bakery, not the glam magazine photos.

• vrjames
    14 years ago

zeebee, your friend's island can be honed in place for a reasonable fee and would eliminate the etch spots glaring at you every time you walk in the kitchen.

• ajard
    14 years ago

Enright .. I am in the same boat. I am shopping marble slabs right now. I plan to do my whole kitchen in 3 inch carrara. I would use soapstone on perimeters and marble on an island... but I dont have an island. I have a u shaped peninsula. I have read and read the same stuff you have and I am still going for it because I think more people that have it love it then regret it.... that is my impression
    lascatx.. can we see your kitchen photos after 3 years??

Here is the link boxerpups sent me to read on whether to consider marble or not..
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/good-questions/good-questions-why-not-do-white-marble-kitchen-countertops-008987

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

My Brother VR James said it well in his one sentence..... and I concur 100%

Below is a link to a podcast that I did on this subject.

hth

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: PODCAST - Marble in Kitchens?

• lala girl
    14 years ago

I am planning on getting them (they make sense in my 1920s tudor)- and like so many people have said so well on this forum: I think it goes back to your own style and being comfortable/confident with it. It is similar in decision to what your dining room table is - is it gorgeous and highly polished? Or is more casual (aka beat-up) like the Rest Hardware reclaimed tables? Mine is the latter so I realized if I am surrounded by patina, it makes sense to go with the marble. Being confident is super hard with so many people telling me it's a mistake (no one said that about my dining room table... or at least not to my face ;-)

• June._
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone for this blog as I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to get Danby marble for my kitchen. I'm still confused as it seems like it's a very personal choice. I dont want to be sorry in the end but since I've always wanted marble, I think I may bite the bullet and go with it.

• stacia2000
    11 years ago

I ABSOLUTELY REGRET it!! I love the look of marble and loved my kitchen until I started using it. We have only used our new Carrera Marble countertops for about a month and we already have a big chip on the edge (where a plate hit it going into the dishwasher). A glass herb container fell from about a foot above and left a bright white ding spot. A babysitter set a hot pan on it (forgot I had to give a talk to anyone using my kitchen on how to treat marble! Hot pans, etc. never bothered our former granite countertop) and it discolored a good-sized section (turned a white section to a creamy/yellowish color). We happen to really USE our kitchen and since we haven't finalized a backsplash yet we are seriously considering replacing them already (I wish I had gone with the "super white" granite instead!). I am usually so practical but this time around I just went for it and now I am reminded of why I listen to my practical side especially in a heavily used area like a kitchen! Can't even imagine what these counters will look like in a couple of years if they are so dinged up and scratched already. They still look good overall but I want to cry when I think about what they are going to look like in a couple of years! Everyone warned us about the etching and staining but that hasn't bothered me at all (ours are honed so the etching is barely noticeable and we've had no problems with staining) It's how easily they scratch and have these bright white ding marks that is driving me crazy! DON'T DO IT!!! (Even though they are beautiful!)

This post was edited by stacia2000 on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 1:01

• julieste
    11 years ago

Stacia--

Only one month and you are already having regrets! Thanks for adding this new caution; my plan to do a few of my counters in marble are now being rethought.

If you decide to take the counters out, could you repurppose the marble and have it installed as backsplach?

• sayde
    11 years ago

I think if you get marble counters you have to feel that marble and only marble is what you want and what would look good in your kitchen. Honed marble feels warm organic, and the little etchings and dings just add to that broken in denim, wabe-sabe aesthetic. If you want slick and perfect and want a different counter material. My kitchen is vintage looking. Considered soapstone and marble and chose Danby -- and just love it. It does have a few little dings but so do the 80 year old cabinets and distressed looking floor tiles-- it all works together and nothing would be as right as the marble. In a contemporary kitchen I would choose something else.

• Tim
    11 years ago

We've had marble in our kitchen for 2 years now and don't regret it one bit. Would do it again and again.

Yes, we put a small chip in ours around the perimeter of the sink, and have etched it here and there (diner style vinegar bottle square perfectly etched - visible at certain angles but not most). Few drops of lemon juice here and there.

No stains - it was well sealed (just did it again a few months ago with Dupont Bulletproof). And we've never put hot pans on a counter top, so haven't had that bad habit to break.

My biggest fear is some lunkhead decides to pop themselves up on the counter for a seat. I mean, really, who sits on a countertop? Especially someone elses?

Anyhow - if you're the type who puts hot pans directly on your counters now, then consider that and maybe do marble in some areas and stainless or something beside the range. If you can avoid this, and love marble, get it.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Six years plus -- no regrets.

• huango
    11 years ago

Tim: "My biggest fear is some lunkhead decides to pop themselves up on the counter for a seat. I mean, really, who sits on a countertop?"

Why would that be a problem?
    something about germy rear-ends on your countertop, or a structural thing?

Asking because I have climbed onto my countertop several times (to paint the window molding, to reach the upper garage appliance cabinet, etc). Should I not be doing it for some reason?

My Danby marble has been installed just ~2months and I love it more and more each day.
    Yes, I feel like I have to baby it, for now. I am curious how the marble will look once I revert back to my I'll-get-to-it/clean-it-later habit that I had before. But right now, I am making a bigger effort to keep them cleared and wiped up, etc (in case something lingers to stain or etch it).

Amanda

• mlr14
    9 years ago

I've had Carrara marble for a year now, NO REGRETS! Honed surface. The key is the lighting. If you have hard light in your kitchen, like the counter against a window, probable not a good choice. If you could see the reflection like a mirror to an outside window (without being in an unnatural position), probably not a good choice. This is where you WILL notice etching. My counters are against window less walls. Diffused LED lights from directly above. No etching shows at all. Seal them and staining is not an issue. Counters look and FEEL awesome. Silky smooth. Can't walk through the kitchen without admiring at them!

• lidbacks
    5 years ago

Thanks for all of these answers. I'm a lived in denim and linen is best kinda gal and adore marble. I am at a crossroads because I cannot find a quartzite I'd like to use in place of marble. I do NOT like quartz and willing to go with quartzite but dream about having marble. All of the comments above have been very helpful. Can any of you post a picture of your marble since you left your comments? I am fine with it starting to become patina looking but do worry about the odd guests that leaves a red wine mark. I am a big cook but not a big baker. Any more comments to help me decide? My space will require 2 slabs so it's a big decision. Thanks!

• Helen
    5 years ago

My good friend has Carrara marble in her kitchen which was installed about 15 years ago.

She also use a portion of the slab as the top for the kitchen table which was used a lot as the family used it every day for eating and for gathering around.

Her husband who is pretty much a pig cooks a lot and so there would have been plenty of stuff that was not cleaned up immediately.

Nothing in the kitchen was babied in any way - I know because she and I were cooking buddies and so I would go over and we would put together joint dinner parties with a lot of messy prep work :-). There were also lots of gatherings with kids as well who were not particularly careful or restricted in normal kid behavior.

There is minor etching in some areas but the light has to be right in order to see it but nothing that anyone with normal sensibilities would notice unless they looked. Kitchen counters tend to have things on them so you don't normally turn your head to the side and squint to check out etching :-). But no stains after 15 years.

• D S
    2 years ago

enright

Hi everyone, i love polished marble but imperfections do bother me! did anyone try the diffrent new sealers like Zerocare or Stain proof/drytreat? i have to decide soon on a stone for my kitchen countertops.

• sookmomof4
    2 years ago

We put in honed carrara marble counters last summer. Yes, I do baby them and have lots of coverings. When I entertain or have company I have a thick plastic covering over the island that I ordered from Amazon. That way people do not feel uncomfortable. After 8 months they have a bit of etching nobody can see and one chip that I did. They are absolutely gorgeous. I also had our fabricators make some marble cutting boards that I keep around the sink.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions