Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinf2012

What to do with this space??

KristinF2012
12 years ago

This was the pantry in the old kitchen. I ripped it out so we could have more island space and we added a pantry in the cabinets. But now we're trying to decide what to do with the space. Should we wall it over? Seems like a waste. Do some built in shelves? But how? Please excuse the hot pink walls. The PO went through a nasty divorce and painted every room in the house (with the exception of her boys rooms) some shade of pink. Most of the kitchen is already painted a soothing grey-blue but I haven't been able to do this wall because of the pantry dilemma... please save my eyesight and help me get this done! If I ever see a pink wall outside a little girls room again I might gag.

No offense to pink lovers out there... But after spending 6 months trying to cover it all I'm starting to go a little batty :)

And on a side note... what do you think of black slate tiles for the foyer? That nasty tile is next on my list...

a little before reminder...

Comments (13)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

The kitchen is gorgeous and the blue definitely calms the space. That pink is raging! I can't imagine how many coats of paint it took to cover it. I would do some recessed shelves for cookbook storage or picture frames. You could even make one shelf a message center if you wanted to.

• deedles
    12 years ago

I was gonna say just what the first poster said: shallow shelves or even a built in plate rail type display. Have you any beautiful dishes or knick knacks that you'd like to have out?

Yeah, that was some version of pink! Kinda like getting stabbed in the eye a little.

• gardengrl66 z5
    12 years ago

Definitely some cookbook storage. Depending on how many you have, consider going halfway up with the shelves, using the top one as a message center and that would leave some room for a piece of art (with alcove-y lighting) or a mirror. Our contractor did something similar with our daughter's room when they needed to close off a doorway. Left the door frame and put in the shelves, with a dressing mirror. Your shelves will likely be deeper than doorway depth but for what it's worth this might give you an idea:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Definitely recessed shelves above, closed-door storage below.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I might have kept it as pantry and used a sliding door (hung on outside wall and sliding to the right) like those barn doors that are popular - tho not a barn door in your kitchen -lol!
    or narrow double doors like one of these -

can you have an electrical outlet put in it? then use a shelf for recharging. a shelf or 2 for cookbooks and others for display. a few shallow drawers could be put in the lower part.

• deedles
    12 years ago

I like the shelves above and doors below. That mirror thing is cute (and is helping me rethink my linen closet) but it seems like if you put cookbooks there you might not want to have to bend over to be grabbing them and putting them away. 'Course, this is from someone with a crabby back, too.

• Swentastic Swenson
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! That pink color would have made me all twitchy!

I like the idea of the cookbook nook for chotchkies and such.

• KristinF2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, so cabinet door below, shelves above. I will add an electrical outlet for sure as we're putting a tv on that wall. Now what about moldings? All the doorways will be getting trim, so this shelving unit will be awfully close to the door frame if I put trim around both.

I have yet to choose a backsplash, but I know we want a brick mosaic of a somewhat solid color. The only ones I've found in a neutral read either peach or pink, and we want more of a white/gray/slight beige look. Should I do the back wall of the shelves in the same backsplash tile? Paint it the grey blue? Or all off white to match the cabinets?

Thanks for the help... I appreciate the suggestions!

• KristinF2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Called and ordered a cabinet door from the manufacturer so we'll be finishing this kitchen soon, thank God! Can't stand to live with it 90% complete like this. My husband is officially forbidden from starting another project until this is done :)

Also called on the Tile Tramp for backsplash help. Hopefully I'll have this all solved soon. She hoped to have some suggestions for me tomorrow (Friday).

Though I must say - I found ivory arabesque beveled on sale and I love the idea. Might have to use it for the bathroom if not the bs!

• susanmiller696
    12 years ago

The remodel looks beautiful! I love the upgraded stainless steal appliances. What would top this space off is designer wallpaper. Wallpaper gives a room like that more life than regular paint!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Coverings

• charliehorse99
    12 years ago

Tambour door appliance storage. With electric outlets so you can use them in place. Solved.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I like marcolo's suggestion of open recessed shelving up top and closed door on the bottom. I love the idea of using open shelves for cookbook storage. I might even do a shallow counter remnant above the closed storage. I would possibly use the counter as landing space for toaster and/or coffee maker, so consider including some outlets. Your almost finished kitchen is really beautiful.

• KristinF2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan - thank you! We're doing a designer wallpaper in the dining room - I'm wondering if it would be too much to do it in the kitchen as well?

Charliehorse - I like the appliance storage idea - might just put the keurig there. We're definitely going to have plenty of outlets as I'm going to put a TV (direct wired) on the wall next to it, so the cable box will need a resting place :)

Pricklypear - Funny you mention in, we still have the cutout from the cooktop. The fabricator offered to cut & edge it for no cost to us when we came up with the same idea a few weeks ago... however my concern is that I've got black counters on white cabs, white (sort of) counters on black cabs, and then white cab with the white granite? is that too much playing with opposites?