Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting diagram help

Posted by Whit461 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:56

Hopefully the pictures come out. There are 2 options right now for lighting in our remodel kitchen. Dims are 13x14, no uppers in the U shaped kitchen, and tall cabinets along the one wall. 3 large windows on the sink wall. We are planning on using mostly CR6 bulbs, the Ecosmart screw in trim/bulb combo into Halo 6"E housing (H71CT). Option 1 has 11 cans basically on 3 foot spacing, while option 2 has only 8 cans on 4 foot spacing. In the 2nd, there would be less lights by the range, though we will have a range hood with lights.

Help with thoughts. Thanks.

photo KitchenLightinOption1_zpsb042b6a6.jpg

photo KitchenLightingOption2_zpsca19b498.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting diagram help

Hi whit, I believe you asked me about lighting on another thread. My high hats were there already from my previous kitchen. But my husband does electrical, so I will ask him. Is your question should there be 3 or 4 feet spacing between cans? I know he always says the more light the better, esp. in a kitchen!

o

Hi Michelle. No worries. At ~$50/light, I don't want to make it look like an airport runway. I want a balanced flood of light in the kitchen, on the workspaces. Is #1 too many? #2 too few? Should there be something in the middle?

o

The ceiling height will have a great deal to do with the size and placement of recessed lights. You also want to be sure that you spec ICAT (Insulation Contact Air Tight) Otherwise, you're putting too much heat into your attic space and it will cause a lot of problems with mixing conditioned and unconditioned air.

o

Of course. Ceilings are 9'. There is a 2nd floor above the ceiling, not an attic. And there is no insulation between floors (we live in FL). Joists are 10", so plenty of space for a 6" can. We are tearing down old ceiling because of wiring issues (k&t),so we will have new ceiling to work with. Also, though there is always heat, using LED lighting should dramatically reduce that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here