Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Kitchen window ideas? Any pics of yours?

Peke
11 years ago

I can't believe I forgot to order a new window! Everything is bought except the window, faucet, and slab for counter top. So now I need to see what others are doing for a kitchen window.

I wanted two tilt and turn windows there sort of like french doors that open inward. I am having trouble finding them locally. So I am now open to suggestions.

Can you show me your windows and what kind? Thanks, Peke

Comments (16)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

This is an outswinging, French-door casement from Marvin. (When open, there is no post remaining in the center. There is a removable screen on the inside.)

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I first looked I thought they were double hung! I have been thinking about casement, but I hate the screen being inside. I wouldn't want to put the screen in anything I wanted to open the window. I sure like the look though. Do you crank yours out?

Peke

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Yes, it is a crank-out. A lot of people here seem to feel the same as you about the screen. I don't quite understand it. My old window was a inswing casement, so the screen was on the outside (during the summer months). Now, the screen is on the inside (during the summer months), and nothing at all during our looooooong winters. Either way, you see the screen. Why is it considered more bothersome to be on the inside?

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I don't much like screens inside or out (I'm not the most fastidious housekeeper), but they're necessary if you want to open the windows. So we got Windsor push-out casements with integrated retractable screens. Here's my kitchen window:

You can't see the screen housing (which does block some of the glass) because of the shade, so here's a pic of our family room windows, mossy siding and all:

I hope you find a good window solution!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

The 2 sides are casements that swing out. We paid extra for the Andersen Tru-Scene screens that are much easier to see through than regular screens. They aren't in right now. Waiting til spring ; )

We also did a counter height window- bumped out.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Ours are like Fishies, they are Marvin windows. They crank out VERY easily - even I (short, extra-deep countertops) can work them! The interior screens don't bother me at all. We also got fancier screens that are a million times easier to see through than the older kind, and are very unobtrusive from inside. We love them.

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. All of the windows look really nice. I like the idea of a retractable or removable screen. Hopefully we will find a window soon locally.

Thanks, Peke

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

If I had found GW - I would have put a counter depth bay window in the kitchen.
    I installed a Garden Window about a year before the kitchen, so no chance of switching.
    I like my Garden Window but wish I had done the counter window - it would open the kitchen so nicely!

Fishies - you have snow!

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are beautiful.

My kitchen looks out onto my backyard which has a concrete retaining wall. Nothing special to see, but maybe one day I will have time for flower beds!

I am thinking about a double hung window but I wonder if it would be hard to open since it is 48" wide. I guess I could put 2 windows there. What do you think? Thanks,
    Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fishies, do your windows go all the way down to your countertop? If so, is it sealed in some way so liquid doesn't get in? I love that look. I would love to do like you did with one picture window in the middle and 2 smaller windows that open out, but I only have 48" width.

drbeanie, your windows seem to have a 3-4" backsplash under the windows. Is there a window ledge that hangs over or is it flush with the backsplash? Is the black countertop soapstone or granite? Do all your windows crank out?

A2Gemini, why do you wish for a bay window instead of a garden window? What is the difference? Do you have pictures?

Thanks,
    Peke

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

I have double hung windows in my kitchen and hate them. I find them difficult to open because the counter prevents me from being close to them. I hate having to ask DH to do it. Some day I'd like to change them to casement windows that look like double hung, to match the rest of my old house.

As for screens, I much prefer them inside, so then can easily be removed in the winter months and for cleaning. I have quite a few new custom Anderson replacement windows with interior screens. I store them for the winter in the basement in garbage bags to keep the dust off, and give them a wash in the spring before they go back on. The house is much brighter in the winter without the screens. In a perfect world, I'd look into retractable, but I do love my replacement windows.

• mazy123
    11 years ago

I have been really happy with my eagle brand French casements. They push out with no cranks. I also bought the retractable screens too. I just haven't installed them. Good luck!

• Laura517
    11 years ago

Not to hijack the post, but mazy123 where have you been hiding? I LOVE your kitchen!!! Is it in the finished kitchens blog?

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Peke, we installed double-hung windows above our sink and I HATED them. They were very hard to open and close and the top panel tended to drop a bit, making them even harder to operate ... I'd have to drag in a stool to shut them properly. I hated them so much that we removed them after a week (delaying the job) and replaced them with single hung. I LOVE these windows. They are very easy to open and shut and work smoothly and flawlessly. They are Milgard and have a lifetime guarantee, including glass breakage. My windows are 65 inches long (two windows side-by-side). They have a screen option that provides a clearer view to the outside, but I didn't get that ... I wish I had.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Reply to:
    "drbeanie, your windows seem to have a 3-4" backsplash under the windows. Is there a window ledge that hangs over or is it flush with the backsplash? Is the black countertop soapstone or granite? Do all your windows crank out? "

I hope you can see better in this picture! Our middle window does not crank out or even open at all, so no screen. We have a clear, unobstructed view through that one. There are actually two windows on either side of this center window, one right next to it, and another at 90 degrees. These all have interior screens that I barely even notice, and we have a LOT of light in our kitchen, day or night. All four crank out.

There is a windowsill that protrudes out over the granite. Our backsplash granite was installed with a thinner profile - I'm not sure whether the windowsill would protrude much if the backsplash granite were as thick as the countertops.

Countertops are leathered Cambrian Black granite. I don't know if they are bullet-proof, since we haven't shot at them! But so far, we love them.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

I have Pella Architect casements (crank style) in wood with retractable screens (rollup). The originals were push out style steel casements with retractable screens. The pushout versions were very expensive, so we went with the cranks. The screens are not necessary for most of the year around here, so having them rollup is uber convenient (and authentic to the original house).

They also make the swing-in styles and the tilt in or swing out European style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pella Speciality

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x