Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_chicago

Backsplash ideas?

KS_Chicago
10 years ago

Hello, I need help deciding on backsplash. I have two main concerns:

1. The style of the kitchen is more traditional than what I would have liked. The place is pretty new and good quality so we are not changing anything. I am torn between styles of the backsplash - I like more contemporary style, but I do not want to ruin the feel of the kitchen/house.

2. The cabinets are off-white, and the granite is antique brown (it looks almost black). I can't do super-white backsplash, because I am afraid the cabinets will look dull and almost dirty... I also need to make sure that colors do not clash...

One possibility that speaks to me is stainless steel subway tile, but the designer at the tile store vetoed it... She thought it would be too much stainless.... I also found some "Asian Statuary" tiles online that look ok, but have not received that samples yet ( I also have no idea what Asian Statuary is and why it is so inexpensive compared to other granite).

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Comments (23)

• lenzai
    10 years ago

While I have no suggestions for the backsplash, I did want to say how beautiful that kitchen is. I'm really digging what they did on top of the cabinets.
    I do think stainless tile would be too much stainless. Maybe a crackle subway? Or something with a design like an arabesque style tile to soften the straight lines and black and white a bit?

arabesque tiles: there are other colors as well
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SomerTile-12.5x12.5-in-Morocco-Glossy-White-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tile-Pack-of-10/4798935/product.html

or wavy tiles:
    http://www.glasstilestore.com/shop-by-colors-now/bronze/metallic-sidewinder-3x12-glass-tile.html

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Maybe a crackle that has a hint of tan? A subway or squares would look nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Crackle Tiles.... Uh La La

• olympia776
    10 years ago

What a neat space! How about something like the stainless tile you like above the range up to the hood and possibly a vertical shiplap for the backsplash?

I'm kind of biased because I'm doing shiplap in my space but I just didn't find a tile that I liked and I thought it would add a lot of character without being too flashy.

I also love crackle tiles like those that have been suggested.

With your neutral palette you could also choose a color it seems. Maybe a green?

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and compliments!!! Speaking of arabesque style...Here is a picture of a tile that I fell in love with, but it is almost $120/sq ft. Do you guys have any suggestions/opinions about something like this and where I might be able to find a similar style for cheaper?

• lenzai
    10 years ago

That's a pic of one tile which has calcatta marble and glass. For a similar look, maybe just get whitish arabesque tiles and use a wider grout line?
    How about the one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: beveled arabesque tile

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you guys think of this backsplash - take a look at installed images. I know it is not arabesque, but overall look gives that circular and geometric feel that I am looking for. Apologies for not uploading a picture - not sure how to do it from the site...

http://www.glasstilestore.com/collection/stone-mosaics/stone-mosaics-patterns/florentine-asian-statuary-marble-tile-with-athens-gray-line.html

• lenzai
    10 years ago

KS,
    That's a really cool backsplash! It has a more modern feel which is what you wanted right?
    I would definitely order a sample though or maybe print out a couple of sheets of paper with the image and line around your kitchen to see how it would feel from far and close up. It's a lot of small tiles so you have to be the judge of of how busy you like it.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

This is at the glasstilestore.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

This one is also at the glasstilestore

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

One more from the glasstilestore. Check out their site!!

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again! I think I made a decision about backsplash. I really like this Carrara marble one and I am thinking of now repainting the kitchen walls gray color to make the whole kitchen work together. The tile is much lighter in person (I got a sample) - it is white with some gray speckles and the accent/wavy lines are medium gray. What do you guys think? I will upload the paint color in the next post. Almost 100% sure about the tile but still time to pick another paint color, so please let me know your thoughts.

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the paint I am considering

• romy718
    10 years ago

Pretty tile. Have you sampled the paint in your kitchen? Another clear, clean gray is BM La Paloma Gray, #1551. I painted my kitchen & FR this grey & love it. Very fresh looking.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 0:01

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Will check it out.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I actually love that last tile you posted, and the middle tile teachertile posted. Both will give your kitchen the movement/texture I think it is asking for.

I was going to suggest something stone-like or split face for those reasons, but I don't think they would quite fit with your kitchen, which is impressive.

• my_four_sons
    10 years ago

Home Depot has an arabesque tile in a light green that I think could be lovely with your color scheme. I tried to attach a link, not sure if it will work.

If you are trying to streamline your kitchen, I would consider removing all of that trim above the cabinets, it definitely makes them much more traditional looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot arabesque tile

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello. I wanted to share the final look of the tile and color. Thank you for all your help! I know it has been a while but that tile was backordered for months! Totally worth the wait though....

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics - don't know how to upload multiples...

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a good view of the paint

• annettacm
    9 years ago

That's gorgeous! My tile was ordered in May and is still not in, so I know the frustration of waiting months. And it's not even as pretty as yours! :) I can't imagine what takes so long to make tile. Glad it is finally done. You made great choices!

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! :). I am sure yours will look beautiful once it's in. Please share pics!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Really pretty! Nice wine refrigerators too.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful choice OP. Enjoy!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz