Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
countertops

Posted by Messymarsy2 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 10:42

For a multitude of reasons we chose to purchase this kitchen. We are finally at the point where we can install it! However, I can not stand the granite and so we will be using another counter top. So the question is soap stone or River White granite? The floors are going to be reclaimed heart pine. It is an interesting kitchen in that it will be modern, but we are preserving or replacing all the traditional architectural elements of the house, like what they do in Europe. The far wall is exposed stone.( that is the wall of the house). We have three French doors, no windows, and 4 levels of lighting. Gimbal spots, pendants and under counter lights. So thoughts on which countertop would look best

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: countertops

With the reclaimed heart pine floors, I think soapstone would be a great choice.
We have knotty pine walls, ceiling, and cabinets in our kitchen with soapstone counters. The color contrast is pleasing, while both materials share the same "earthy" characteristics.

o

I think soapstone is going to be way too dark. That kitchen is very dark and a light countertop would look best with a light backsplash. IMHO.

o

I also think soapstone will be too dark if you use it everywhere. We had cabinets in our previous house that were dark and used black only on the island, with crema Bordeaux on the perimeter. That worked well.

o

I agree soapstone is too dark. The cabinets are black if I'm not mistaken. Soapstone is very dark. It will be too much. Even if you kept the soapstone unoiled so it was grey, it's still too dark a grey for those cabs, IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here