Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

"Trends and timelines: when?"

palimpsest
11 years ago

In the current thread about subway tile and trendiness, and in previous threads about trends, one thing that I have noticed is that when people say "I have seen a lot of ___ since 2xxx" or "_____has been around for __ years now." And the time frames that people give vary widely.

So that makes me think that there are large differences in points of reference when it comes to "current" and "trend", and what is Hot in some spots, is definitely not Yet, in some areas and has peaked in others. So:

1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person?

2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person?

3)When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person?

4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person?

5)And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person?

Please include where you are from, generally. This is not about being more savvy or "with it" because you've seen it earlier, either. Some people will have seen these much earlier than others, that's clear.

Comments (38)

• Buehl

Baltimore/DC Metro Area

(1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person?

• Aware: When I started visiting this site - 2007

• In-Person: I have yet to see anyone in my area use subway tiles

(2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person?

• Aware: Mid-1990s when I started looking around and noticing countertops in remodeling magazines, etc.

• In-Person: Around the same time b/c I was now aware and started actually looking at what others had. But at that time, I still saw mostly Corian-type counters.

(3) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person?

• In-Person: Probably around 2008/2009, but I still don't see many

(4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person?

• Aware: Mid-1990s when I started looking around and noticing appliances in remodeling magazines, etc.

• In-Person: I think around 2000 or so

(5) And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person?

• Aware: Around the time I started looking around again in remodeling magazines, etc. (yes, I was looking at bathroom remodels as well!) - 2006 or 2007

• In-Person: About the same time in a friend's house in her master bathroom - and she really dislikes them

- but they were there when they bought the house.

• Buehl

Baltimore/DC Metro Area

(1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person?

(2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person?

• Aware: Mid-1990s when I started looking around and noticing countertops in remodeling magazines, etc.

• In-Person: Around the same time b/c I was now aware and started actually looking at what others had. But at that time, I still saw mostly Corian-type counters.

(3) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person?

(4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person?

• Aware: Mid-1990s when I started looking around and noticing appliances in remodeling magazines, etc.

(5) And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person?

• Aware: Around the time I started looking around again in remodeling magazines, etc. (yes, I was looking at bathroom remodels as well!) - 2006 or 2007

• In-Person: About the same time in a friend's house in her master bathroom - and she really dislikes them

• Buehl

Baltimore/DC Metro Area

• Buehl

Baltimore/DC Metro Area

• blfenton
    11 years ago

British Columbia.

My brother buys rundown homes, moves in, renovates, sells and moves on. So with that in mind - I have been aware of and seen granite and stainless steel appliances for probably 12-15 years. Subway tiles - no.

There is a difference between seeing something and being aware of it when you are seeing it. I may have seen subway tiles and not been aware of what I was looking at because I was looking at the whole picture.

None of these things are hot where I live they are just a part of the number of choices we have. If you live in an upscale downtown loft a silestone or quartz product would be your choice of counter and would be hot, in a high-end housing area you could be choosing granite or a quartz product. Our housing market is unique in that it is very expensive and so granite/silestone and stainless steel would be expected in homes but marble doesn't even have a spot.

Vessel sinks - I noticed them probably 10 years ago because they were so unique but only in magazines and showrooms. I don't know anyone who has put one in but I have seen them them in townhouse sales center showhomes.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Excellent thread! One question, when you say "see in person" do you mean actually see in a real home or when you first saw it in a showroom? I assume you mean in a house but wanted to clarify.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would say In use, In a house owned by someone. Not a showroom or showhouse.

• User
    11 years ago

1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person?

Became aware of it when we remodeled a kitchen in our house in 2002 and I was kitchen mag crazy. First saw it in person in 2006 when it was put up in our WIP. I had not considered subway until I went to a garage sale and found several cases of vintage creamy white subway tile. I bought all he had for $10 and put it up on the sink wall in our WIP.

2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person?

First became aware and saw in person in 1988, we went to a wedding held at a really high end home in CT and they had granite on the counters, it was that pink, black and grey stuff and I thought it was hideous.

3)When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person?

Way back in the mid 80's I had a friend who bought a ski house and it had a beautiful, vintage, probably non-residential Garland range with salamander. It was love at first sight for me and I am happy to report that we are now the happy owners of a vintage Garland range, alas, without salamander.

4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person?

First noticed SS fridges when we remodeled a kitchen in 2002, loved them then, love them now. First saw one in a house when I purchased a KA SS model for that 2002 remodel.

5)And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person?

First saw vessel sinks in a plumbing showroom, have yet to see one installed in a home.

I am from a small, rural town in NNE and moved to a small, rural town in NNY. We don't see a lot of anything mentioned here in our rural and not upscale community.

sandyponder

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

With the exception of subway tiles, I became aware of and saw all of the above in the early 90's. I've been putting up 4x4 tile in an offset pattern (like subway is) since the 80's, but I wouldn't call that subway tile. Not sure when subway became popular. I'm from southeast Michigan.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Washington, DC, Maryland 'burbs.

When we bought our home in 2002, I started looking at kitchens. Before that, I could have cared less. I watched HGTV, but evidently retained nothing but a God-awful headboard made of picket fence that showed up on 2 shows.

When we started looking at stuff, I saw granite. Showrooms, because I didn't have friends who remodeled. I came from a condominium with tile countertops. I couldn't find anything I liked because I don't like specks. Then I saw soapstone...

I saw stainless all over the place while looking, which I reject to this day because of my restuaruant background. ICK. I've only seen it in a few places, installed, but thinking about it, I think it's in pics here on this board. I don't go to people's homes.

Vessels? In the stone place's display room. Now defunct Home Expo and DirectBuy showrooms.

Stainless and grainite in USE? In restaurants in the late 90s. My sister's house in early 2000s. (I forgot about her.) Then, since I don't go to people's homes, I've lived vicariously thru magazines, TV and this board.

Excellent questions. I know this area is usually in the forefront of the decorating world, so my experiences -- or lack thereof -- aren't indicative of what's actually going on. Perhaps someone like Trailrunner, who actually has a life, will pipe up?

• function_first
    11 years ago

Greater Boston area

1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person? 2002/2004

2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person? 1999/1999

3)When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person? 1989/1999

4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person? 1999/2002

5)And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person? 2005/haven't seen one in person yet (outside of a showroom)

• mrspete
    11 years ago

Good question. I do think it's sometimes hard to distinguish between trendy and timeless.

Subway tile -- I have never seen it in person. I became aware of it in magazines perhaps 2 years ago.

Granite -- This is harder. I think I've been aware it's "a thing" for 10-12 years. I first saw it in person about that same time.

Stainless steel -- I'm certain I saw it for the first time in 1990. I went with a friend to look at a house she was considering buying, and I know I only worked in that job for two years, so I can be pretty exact. It caught my eye because I had never seen it before (in magazines or in real life), and it struck me as so cold and utilitarian.

Vessel sinks -- Maybe 5 years ago? Of all the things you listed, I think this is the "trendy item" that'll look dated in years to come.

I'd like to add one item: Arabesque tile, especially as a backsplash. I'm currently crushing on this type of tile . . . and it has to be at least somewhat classic. I have 25 year old arabesque patterned floor in my office, which is 25+ years old. As a backsplash, is this trendy or classic?

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I should've added that I'm in the South, and we're often accused of being "behind the times".

Also, in answering the above, I assumed the question meant, When did I see these things in someone's house -- NOT in a showroom.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

And digging a little deeper, since most "trends" only last a decade-15 years and so far that's the timeline many people are sharing, are all of these slowly losing their appeal for something new?

Glass tile backsplash?
    Marble counters (and still quartz?)
    Not sure what will replace appliances but I'm guessing something old is new again, only slightly different enough so you still look out of date if you had the original appliance color from years ago.
    Trough sinks?

• User
    11 years ago

South Central US, and a now retired design professional who was active during the period under discusssion, so I may have been more exposed than most.

First saw it around 1998 for the "modern" kitchen. Plenty of older homes still had it, but were ripping it out during remodels because they couldn't find replacement pieces for the damaged ones. The kitchen that I first saw it in in person was a high end "restoration" in an older home in an historic district. 1904 FourSquare.

Granite's been popular in the upper end home around here for forever. I think I saw my first one in person around 1978, but couldn't swear to it because I just wasn't into noticing those type of things at that point in my life. It began to be a more popular choice around 1990, and really took off when everyone was getting a home equity loan to redo their kitchens during the boom.

1990 was the year that I saw my first Viking. One of my girlfriends was dating a local liquor distributor who had ties to the company and had just done his kitchen. Viking had a cooking school in downtown Memphis during the late 90's and that's the first time I ever saw one in use. Because of my location, "Viking" is pretty much synonymous with "big honking stainless steel pro style range.

Saw my first SubZero in 1987. Again, at a party in the local older historic district. Again, they only became "popular" as choices for the upper middle class remodelers when the home equity loans and real estate bubble allowed that to happen.

The first vessel sink I saw was in a Metropolitan Home magazine around 1996. The first one I saw in person was actually in an Indian restaurant in Florida around 2006. The owner confided to me that it was the worst choice on the planet for a public restroom as it was impossible to really clean well around it and he was planning to change it out.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't want to answer first, but now I will, and some of the answers will involve background:

1) The first New use of subway tile awareness and seeing it in use in person: mid to late 90s. Talking about the now typical Daltile Rittenhouse Square format.

2) The first granite countertop, in person Early 80s, probably around 1982, Absolute Black.

3) First stainless steel range: we had a stainless steel Chambers island cooktop in 1969. (all other appliances were and still are white.) First real Pro range, 1980s, first stainless steel Pro-style range, mid 90s.

4) First stainless steel refrigerator: a schoolmate's kitchen had an unusual built in Stainless Steel refrigerator, wall oven and dishwasher (and probably cooktop) in her house, built around 1960: the fridge was actually *inserted* into the cabinets, like wall ovens are with cabinetry below. First stainless fridge intentionally matched to a pro range: late 80s probably and it was a big noisy commercial fridge like a True or Traulsen.

5) First vessel sink, mid-90s in a magazine and the outside had to be custom glazed, so it could be exposed like that.
    I see very few of these in real life and they are often the super inexpensive all-glass types.

Also, the first kitchen that I saw with a glazed, painted and rub-through finish, was at a friend's 21st birthday party, in 1982, and the kitchen was not brand-new at that point.

Arabesque tile had a run of popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. One of the flooring choices my parents looked at for finishing the basement was Amtico vinyl in an arabesque pattern (early 70s).

So, some of these "trends" are 20-30 years old, and the existence of isolated appearances of these trends probably essentially early on in the genesis of the modern kitchen as we know it. I have had clients tell me about this "new" thing that they have seen, that is really only "new" in their consciousness, or in their particular circle of experience.

I should add that I was pretty precocious design-wise. I had a prescription to Architectural Digest when I was in grade school.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Our first house was built in late 50's, it had subway tiles in the kit but I don't know when they put them in.We bought in early 70's.
    My in laws put in SS cook top and ovens in the mid 50's. Cooktop and SS tile backsplash still in use.
    Granite counter, probably mid 80s.
    Vessel sink I am going to guess early 90's. All homes mentioned in CT.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Subway tiles: can't remember when I first heard of them, but it was the backsplash done in our previous home (white 3x6 subways) in 2002. We just choose subway again a year ago (glass 2x4s this time) our current home. I like subways. :)

Granite, again can't remember when first heard, probably late 80s?, saw in person at friends' homes through the 90s, granite in our own previous home in 2001.

Stainless range and fridges: heard about them since probably the 90s (I think?). We just did stainless in ourselves for the first time in 2009.

Vessel sinks: I don't even know what they are so I'm gonna have to say never to this one.

Toronto area here.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Oakland, CA here

I probably first became aware of it in 2002. That was when I started seriously thinking about remodeling my own 1910 house, so I was paying attention to vintage style remodels.

Have I seen a kitchen with new subway tiles? Maybe not. Everyone I know has actual vintage kitchens that they can't afford to remodel.

I don't really remember when I became aware. I suspect that they rose to prominence in the 1990s while I was in graduate school and then renting apartments. By the time I paid any attention, granite was THE thing. As to when I saw them, maybe 2000? I'm sure there were isolated instances before that.

As with granite, I wasn't paying attention and then they were everywhere. So guessing sometime in the 1990s.

I saw a range like this at a friend's house in the late 1990s, that dates back to the 1960s. Does that count?

I apparently have a bad memory. A coworker had a subzero that was probably stainless that I saw in the late 1990s. I really have no memory of the finish. Jeez, you'd think I wasn't even TKO.

I think I became aware of them in 2002, and started seeing them only shortly after that, say, 2003--but mostly in commercial restrooms. I can't specifically remember any I've seen in homes.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Greater Boston. Note: We've done a LOT of house shopping off and on since the late 90s. All these are in-person, in-home observations.

1) Subways: 2005.

2) Granite: 1999-ish, speckled. Starting around 2002ish, it was all Absolute Black on maple cabs. These kitchens are openly called dated and flipped at open houses now.

3) Stainless range. Around 2000.

4) First stainless steel refrigerators. Around 2002

5) First vessel sink. Around 2002.

• sas95
    11 years ago

NYC suburbs.

I will preface this by saying that I am a late-comer to the whole realm of kitchen design. I didn't think about it at all, or even watch HGTV, until we started looking for a home about 5 years ago, so I'm way behind the curve.

When we bought the house in 2010 went several tile stores to look at tiles for our kitchen and baths. All the tile sales people said, "Of course you want subway tile." I had no idea what subway tile was, but everyone told us we wanted it. We actually did use it in one of our bathrooms. But we didn't actually see it in the houses we were looking at. Most were doing their new bathrooms and kitchens with travertine or glass mosaics.

A fairly undesirable tract home across the street from our rental home went on the market in around 2005. The owner listed it at around 30% more than the going market rate, justifying the price in that, "it has granite countertops." I realized then that granite must be a *high end thing* that *everyone* wants now.

I can't remember when I first became aware of stainless steel.

In homes, when we were house hunting between 2008-10. They showed up in the most unlikely of bathrooms. But I had seen them in bathrooms in Japanese restaurants before that.

This post was edited by sas95 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 19:32

• mrsmortarmixer
    11 years ago

Subway tiles: I've honestly never seen newer subway tiles in a home in my area, but I don't see very many newer homes or old homes that have been remodeled in the last 20 years.

Granite: late 90s, although I could have easily seen it before and not known what it was.

Stainless appliances: Early 2000s, and I still do not see very many.

Vessel sinks: This year was the first time that I had seen one in a person's home.

Rural Indiana, way behind on the times.

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

Los Angeles area.

1) Subways: I've no recollection of my first kitchen exposure. I grew up in a 1920s house that had original subway tile in the bathrooms, so it didn't strike me as novel or noteworthy to see it in a kitchen.

2) Granite: No recollection.

3) Stainless range. My best friend's parents had a big Wolf in their kitchen in the early 80s but it was black enamel. My parents were given a ss prototype Thermador professional range to test out when they redid their kitchen around 1992. The range is still going strong.

4) First stainless steel refrigerators. No recollection. It seems like all the Sub-Zeros that I saw in the 80s were paneled.

5) First vessel sink. Mid 2000s at open houses in Santa Monica.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I have to temper this with the fact that I bought my first home in 1996. So while these trends might have existed prior to then, none of them were on my apartment-dwelling radar. Also, my first home was a 1929 Tudor that I tried to handle appropriately -- I was never in a lot of "normal" houses. I'm in the Birmingham, Alabama area.

I saw white ceramic subway tile in historic (not preservationist -- just old) houses around 1999. I put them in my own house in 2001.

I'm not sure. Maybe 2000 or so? I put them in my next house in 2003 (but went with a quartz composite in another house in 2009).

I remember stainless cooktops in homes from the 1950s/60s. But the latest wave I think came my way in about 1998. The range I bought in 2001 was black with an electric ceramic top, but had stainless trim. All stainless was an option, but not in my budget. (In 2001 I was trying to decide between purchasing a new French horn or getting all stainless steel appliances - cheap Frigidaires. The horn won).

I remember an upper bracket-type house with a stainless sub-zero back in the 1970s, I think. But a standard fridge in stainless? Probably around 2000.

A bit later, I think. Maybe 2001-2002? They seemed to show up (inappropriately) in a lot of renos in the neighborhood we lived in from 2003-2005.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Northern California

Subway tiles: 2001 when we were house hunting

Granite countertops: mid 80s. This was in a smaller town in southern India in homes of fairly wealthy folks. But this was in an area where the granite quarry business was beginning to really take off. I think my friends family may have even owned a quarry. It was yellowish or reddish color. May have been sivakasi yellow or Kashmir gold. What I distinctly remember was that the wife was not at all happy with it as granite was commonly installed in hotel lobby walls and floors. She wanted what she had before which was soapstone :) In CA bay area, I saw this in late 90s in homes and upscale rental condos.

Stainless steel appliance: 2000. It was a sub zero in the house of a wealthy doctor

Vessel sinks: 2000. Started popping up in some restaurants. Saw it in a house in 2005.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

1) Subway Tile: I think I first became aware of it on GW, probably around 2008 or 2009. I have yet to see this installed outside of a showroom or picture.

2) Granite: I first saw it in the late 90s (probably about 1998) when a friend's parents remodeled their kitchen and put in a massive island with granite. It's hard to recall my exact response (since I recall being excited about the functional layout), but I think I liked it. I still like granite now, though my preferences over which granites has narrowed.

3) Stainless Steel Ranges: I probably saw one at the same friend's parents' house in the late 90s.

4) Stainless Steel Refrigerator: Again, I probably saw one at the same friend's parents' house in the late 90s.

5) Vessel Sinks: I became aware of them around 2005-2007 when I began researching bathroom remodels in my house. I was initially very intrigued, but have since decided that they are not quite for my home. I finally saw one installed in someone's powder room about 2012.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I don't remember much. I became aware of subway tile in about 2002 and put it in my kitchen then, in Dearborn, MI.

But I was unfairly influenced by a local kitchen from the same period of my house that had fabulous subways in the master bath and kitchens. Yeah when I was done my house looked JUST LIKE Ford's Fairlane estate...

I've only seen actual vessel sinks in hotels and public bathrooms.

• crl_
    11 years ago

Posting before reading responses. All except the vessel sink, I was aware of and saw in magazines and online when we re-did our first ktchen around 2000. I chose white subway tiles for our diy backsplash and we used blue pearl granite tiles for our DIY countertop (budget constraints prevented a solid granite top at that time). I rejected stainless appliances as I didn't care for them. (Still don't but I have them now because the only induction ranges in our price range were available only in stainless, sigh). We lived in the DC metro area at the time.

I don't know about the vessel sink. I have no specific memory to pin down the time frame.

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Metro Boston.

Subway tiles first seen in a newer house around 1998 (in architect's house). Frequently seen by mid-2000s. I think I was always aware they existed... because of my interest in ceramics

Granite - first seeped into my consciousness in late 1990s, first lived with it in 2001. (The house we just bought had a large kitchen remodel with granite in 1992 - very speckled, dated now. Well, not "now" actually, we took it out.)

Stainless steel range - late 1990s for both, not including large very old stainless ranges in church kitchens that I have seen all of my adult life

Stainless fridge - late 1990s

Vessel sink - first aware around 2006/7, first saw in a house in 2008.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Near Buffalo, NY

Subway tile: not sure when I became aware of it....Only saw it in magazines and on line, never saw in person until I installed in my own kitchen a few months ago.

Granite: became aware of it early 90's and first saw it in a home in person 2 years ago.

SS: 5 - 10 years ago. First saw 3 years ago.

Vessel sink: Became aware about 5 years ago. Have never seen in person.

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

Canadian prairies.

Subways - I first heard of them when I joined GW in 2008. Have since seen them in the Montreal Metro, but never in a kitchen.

Granite counters - I played bridge with a gal ca 1989/90 who was planning granite in her new kitchen. Don't think I saw it until mid 1990s.

SS appliances - once again, mid 1990s. First "pro-style" ss range was a friend's Viking, around 2000.

Vessel sinks - Can't remember when I heard about them, but have seen them in use in the past 5 yrs.

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

Oh, I just remembered that my mother remodeled our kitchen in 1972. She put in a stainless cooktop (downdraft Thermador) and stainless ovens.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Upstate NY, north of Albany

1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person? 2003 (Actually I've never seen a single kitchen with subway tiles, except in pictures even though I've seen many kitchs with otherwise ahead-of-the-trend appliances and counters. I think that maybe it had already passed by when I started paying attention to local kitchens in the early '90s.)

2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person? 1992 or 3, for both I saw one first, before I'd ever heard of it.

3)When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person? 1992

4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person? 1990

5)And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person? early 1990s

Please include where you are from, generally

HTH

L.

• kaismom
    11 years ago

I started to see it around 1999/2000 in magazines. IRL, around 2000.

I have seen it in homes remodeled in early 1990s by going to homes for open houses for sale.

I saw it in a home built by our friend around 1997-9. After that, I started to see it in many homes.

Again, my guess is late 1990s.

Mid to late 1990s

I started to see it in magazines around 2002-4 I guess.

Please include where you are from, generally. This is not about being more savvy or "with it" because you've seen it earlier, either. Some people will have seen these much earlier than others, that's clear.

I live in Seattle, WA in a relatively affluent area and people spend a lot of money in their homes. Many homes I have walked into are worth many millions of $. (not mine)

Late 1990s, many people I know redid their homes because that was a particular time in their lives when these things happen: very young kids, new homes etc. Because of that, many people I know have redone their homes in the past 5 to 15 years. We are all approaching an age where we have to save money for college tuition. I think home remodeling will go on the back burner for a while.

Before mid 1990s, I did NOT pay much attention to what people had. I was working too hard to look at other people's kitchens. Even if I saw it, I would not have noticed.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Santa Rosa, CA (SF Bay Area)

Until I thought about updating my own kitchen, and esp. coming to GW, I didn't pay much attention to the details of a kitchen, only overall impressions and how it made me feel. I really don't live under a rock or in a backwater, but I don't go to a lot of new build open houses either. I knew about granite and stainless appliances without really being familiar with them in real life.

1) Subway tile - I was aware of it in 2011. Saw it for the first time in my own kitchen in 2012.

2) Granite counters - 2002.

3) & 4) Stainless appliances - 2002

5) Vessel sink - 2007. A friend of mine has one in her powder room.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

I grew up in the Bronx. We had subways to the ceiling in the bathroom and the kitchen walls were white subways. The building had hex tiles in the entry. When I redid the master bath in my current house, it was almost automatic to do white subway walls, black and white hex tile floor and 2 hex tile borders.
    Today I was in the FDR Presidential Library which is undergoing it's first reno since it was built in 1941 and all the bathrooms have cream subways 2/3 of the way up the walls and a black subway border. The object there is to upgrade, but keep somewhat to the some of the original colors and style. Here in NY subways are everywhere and always have been.
    I had a stainless oven in my first house, then black. I became aware of all stainless appliances 6-7 years ago.
    Granite about 10 years ago, but it was splotchy black and gold and cream and not gorgeous.
    I have a black marble vessel sink in my bathroom.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Subway tiles: Our apartment before we bought our first place in '98 had subway tiles, but they were vintage/historical. In new application - probably around 2003/4.

Granite - late '80s.

SS appliances - early '90s.

Vessel sinks: 2004/5 in mags, by 2007/8 in restaurants, etc.

Ottawa, Canada

• bostonpam
    11 years ago

Boston area:

1) When did you first become aware of subway tile in NEW kitchen remodels? (Not historical). When did you first SEE it used in person? early/mid 2000's

2) When did you first become aware of granite countertops in NEW kitchen remodels? When did you first SEE it used in person? mid 1990's

3)When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel RANGES being placed in residential kitchens? When did you SEE your first stainless steel range used in person? 1990's

4) When did you first become aware of Stainless Steel REFRIGERATORS being placed in residential kitchens? When did you first see one used in person? maybe late 1990's

5)And slightly OT, when did you first become aware of VESSEL SINKS? When did you see your first one in person? late 1990's; bought 2 around 2006; granite vessel was installed in a tiny half bath 3 years ago because of space constraints and the copper one will be installed in the guest room suite (hopefully next month)