Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Glass door cabinets

Posted by Nonna2009 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 10:34

I chose a patterned glass for my glass door cabinets in my recent kitchen remodel. I thought that it would give the illusion of glass, but not allow the things inside to show. I was wrong. You can see all the things inside the cabinets. Is there anything I can use to allow the light to come through, but obscure what's inside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Glass door cabinets

I've seen people use something like rice paper (I think.) on the inside

But does it really bug you? Then again, I have a glass refrigerator....

o

You can always go to Hobby Lobby and look at their Gallery Glass for the frosted glass paint and paint the back side of the glass. That would be a shame though. I think it looks fine though. It's so pretty, and would be even prettier with the right lighting. You need better in cabinet lighting that hides behind the face frame (LED tape) or to change to glass shelves. The lighting only the top shelf is what would bug me.

o

you could look at window films that are applied to the glass to make them more obscure.

Here is a link that might be useful: window films

o

Did you choose your glass inserts at the local glass shop? If not, stop by and have a look. Our local glass place is a bit of a hole in the wall, but it has a zillion samples. We actually took one of the doors with us and "previewed" the samples. They might also have suggestions on what you can do to your existing panels to get the look you want. I agree with holly's lighting suggestions, which will also help you get where you want to go.

o

can you get less bright bulbs-there must be something softer-those look like spotlights. It's asking for decorative stuff on the top shelf-do you have some colorful pieces to put up there: that would take the eye up and less emphasis to the lower 2/3.

o

You can also buy a frosted glass spray from a hardware store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here