Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2reese_gw

Who's here?

mom2reese
15 years ago

Hello -

I'm new to this board, and everyone seems so knowledgable and helpful. It made me wonder if people here are "professionals" or just experienced kitchen remodelers.

I've done three kitchen builds and a remodel. The one I just did was the first that I did with the help of a kitchen designer. Boy, did she open my eyes to everything I DIDN'T know, LOL. I found this site through her, actually, when she sent me some links on appliance reviews from here.

So, what's your background?

Comments (73)

• arleneb
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

DH and I are in our mid-60s and sell printed promotional products online -- since 1996, when people were still a bit suspicious about buying online!! We bought our first house in the '70s -- a 6-year-old contemporary which we DIYed our personalities everywhere. We then moved back to our home area and bought a 50-year-old house on a lake and over the next 25 years expanded and improved it -- again, mostly DIY -- until in 2001 we gave up and tore it down and built a new house on the same (perfect!) property. That was to be our forever house. Four years later we and our older daughter and her family decided to move to Tennessee where our younger daughter and her family live. We bought 65 acres of ridge and meadow, ponds and brooks, and subdivided it into 5 properties. We're nearing the end of building our new house on the ridge. Daughters will build on adjoining properties on the ridge when financially possible -- with houses selling so poorly, one family may end up moving in with us so their kids can get into local schools at the beginning of next school year. Our subdivision will be a modified family compound -- DH and me and our daughters on the ridge. One of the meadow properties was purchased by DD#2's best friends, and the last is still for sale -- only very nice people need apply!

It's been alternately a dream and a nightmare, with unforseen difficulties beyond our wildest imaginations, but we hope to be in by spring, and are praying all will go well from here on out.

Arlene

• donka
    15 years ago

Great thread (especially for a newbie to the forum like me !) I'm an IT Systems Analyst embarking on my first kitchen remodel. If I had more time I would try and DIY, but my job cuts into my time so much that it would be pretty darn hard to get a kitchen done in a reasonable amount of time.

My fiance and I both work in IT, and we both love to be away from computers when we get home. Gardening is my favourite hobby outside of work, cooking would probably run second, and anything to keep me occupied (reading kitchen forums?) fits in there somewhere too ;)

I'm in the beginning stages of planning my kitchen remodel, trying to do it on a reasonable budget, and trying to fit a lot of punch into a small space. So far everyone here has been incredible. I've gotten ideas that have spawned other ideas, which have in turn created other ideas, and my brain is a spin, but that's the point...5 or 10 or 3500 brains are better than one :) Love this place!

• worldmom
    15 years ago

"I'm loving this thread- especially finding out what other skills lurk (or don't lurk) within the talented folks who offer their kitchen wisdom -- Casey renovates, historically. LWO is a car nut. Jen is "crap at DIY" (?) This is a hoot!"

And Evilbunnie is apparently a stripper, by her own words! ;o)

I'm a speech pathologist, which probably has no relevance to the world of kitchen design, except perhaps that I'm really good at goal setting. I know how to use short-term goals to achieve a long-term objective.

My husband and I homeschool our 12 (not a typo) kids and are renovating our 1910 foursquare. After nearly 18 years of marriage, I will finally have the kitchen of my dreams, and I owe a lot of that dream to this forum!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I'm an Art Consultant\Art Technician. I was recruited to assist my Mom (like she could have prevented me from "helping")redo her kitchen. After assembling a decent foundation of knowledge I sort of got hooked (I figure the more kitchens I interfere with the closer I will get to the perfect recipe for my own should that day ever come). I work with tools hanging art and would like to be a DIYer but Im still in the closet. I am now working on second kitchen for a friend that will be much more hands on (hello Ikea). I like imaginative design and enjoy looking at high end kitchens but I am much more fascinated by more modest kitchen undertakings ($5000 fridges are generally beyond my comprehension).

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I was an antiques dealer with a degree in Interior Design. DH & I are addicted to renovating houses. We spent 14 years restoring a victorian house & thought we would never do another.
    Turns out we only needed a holiday & I'm "jonesing" to do another.
    We are on house #5, we do all our own work & get a thrill out of doing a higher end look for minimal $.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Love to read about all you interesting people
    I am about to move into my dream home that I have been planning all my life. As you old timers here know, we have had the build from hell literally. It is all starting to come together after almost 4 years, we should be moving in the next few weeks.

When I am not obsessing about my home , I concentrate on our restaurants.
    I do all design work, interior & exterior planning, ad copy, menu, catering etc.

I don't actually work in the restaurant as I am also busy homeschooling our children. I am the mom to 11 children and am busy most usually with schooling.

I am certain this forum has kept me sane through some very difficult days of this whole building process. I could never thank everyone enough for their support, prayers, encouragement & help.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Hi! I'm a homeowner who can't do anything right by myself. Seriously, no kidding! When I moved into my 1926 home in 2004, I had a beautiful painting I wanted to hang in the dining room. When I banged the nail with the hammer, I put a hole in the wall the size of a cereal bowl. $100.00 later to the carpenter and the wall was fixed and ONE picture hung! So I've become very skilled at hiring people to do the things that I can't do BEFORE I destroy things. :)

I redid my kitchen in 7/08. I found this site about a week after I was done! (I didn't even do THAT right!) I'm here because I LOVE to look at the amazing things that other people here can do and all the other amazing things that people KNOW. I love learning about all these things that I have no talent for -- even if I can never do them, it's helpful for me to at least understand the concepts or physics or whatever behind them. And it also helps to know what that knowledge and skill really costs.

One thing I CAN do however, is cook up a really, really good meal in my new kitchen!

• Maria410
    15 years ago

Great thread! Thanks for asking.

By day, I am a non-physician medical school faculty member and administrator. The rest of the time, I am a part time student, a full-time wife, a daughter, and a grandmother. In my spare time I love to cook and to garden. Both are my relaxation tools.

I am on my second kitchen renovation (using a contractor). I have lurked and participated on this board for at least six years. I have learned a great deal from all the creative folks here and am sure my kitchen (demo. starts in a week or two) will be better for it.

I am practical, extremely budget conscious, and like function and form but function wins out. Living and cooking in my current kitchen gave me everything I needed to design a kitchen / dining area that will suit my family's needs.

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

As those that see my postings from time to time already know, I am a retired disabled accountant. During my lifetime I have built 3 homes from plans to completion, did major renovations to most every home Ive owned one of which was a 10,000 sq ft 1929 era Hollywood mansion and have been a life time DIY'er. With my days now empty I currently read and comment, daily, on 30+ discussion forums and help where I can. I also write a blog on kitchen and bath issues, the economy and other issues of note to the DIY crowd. Additionally I collect and own classic Mercedes and participate in some discussion forums on that subject also. As of yesterday I had nearly 600 google hits on my faucetman886 for articles written and published, my blogs and postings. My email is open for all to see and write direct if I can be of any help.

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

I'm a former lawyer, now librarian/hebrew school teacher/stay at home Mom to 12 and 13 year old daughters (yikes!). This has been our first kitchen remodel...we have learned a lot. We had a contractor, and designer who helped us...DH designed a lot of it...we're finished except for backsplash, which we cannot seem to get to. DH would have loved to DIY the whole thing, but no time.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am a mechanical engineer by trade and an avid DIY'er. DH and I just got through building our 3rd and last house. He's disabled so much of the work fell on me, which is fine. I love building. I designed this house from the ground up and did everything from digging the footers by hand, laying the block foundation, framing, installing and finishing the floors, tile work, electrical, plumbing, painting, etc. We did have a wonderful group of friends who did the drywall for us though. This is my forever home. We have 28 acres in the country and both of my adult children have homes here now. My son has a child of his own so my grandchild lives next door which is too wonderful for words!!

Gardenweb has been such a wonderful resource for me, especially for my kitchen design. The last two kitchens were OK....but that's just it....they were only "OK". I wanted this kitchen to be different...I wanted it to stand out and make a statement. Thanks to the wonderful guidance I got on this board from all of the great minds here, my kitchen is truly a dream kitchen. And now that my house is done, I can't seem to tear myself away from this board.

Cindy

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

When we moved to a new community and DS1 was having trouble adjusting, we decided that I should stay home with him. As a girl who had worked in some capacity since I was 12, I thought I'd die from boredom when I became a SAHM. There are only so many pillows you can sew, hats you can knit, etc. Then I decided to tackle the house.

I started with our entryway. New door & storm door, marble tile on the floor w/ fun tile border to create an area rug look, curved floating shelf to drop keys, etc. because there wasn't enough space for a table. When my dad visited and saw the work I had done, he invited me to "shop" in his garage for tools. Yay! This is a man who grumbles when little brother borrows tools and flat out refused to loan tools to oldest sister, he seriously loves his tools. We tackle big projects like the kitchen reno together while little projects like a bedroom redo I'll do alone. I'm on my own with flooring projects, too. It's been about 8 yrs and we're still tackling projects.

We were planning on doing a major hardscaping/landscaping project this summer, but may not be done with the kitchen so we'll see. We had an unexpected gas leak in our backyard(there's a line that goes back to the poolhouse) and are expecting a bill of about $2500 so we're holding off on ordering backsplash and finishing pieces until our bank account has time to recover.

• lululemon
    15 years ago

Bump - I love reading this stuff!

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

I am a retired clothing designer and business owner, Mom of two grown sons, wife of 29 years to a professional and a DIY'er of just about everything! We have remodeled and/or built from dirt 6 homes. I am also an avid baker, gardener and furniture refinisher and photographer. I have spent years studying and designing kitchens as an amateur not professional. We are currently building a designing a dedicated home theater. I LOVE helping out in these Garden Web forums and learning from others too!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

"Built from dirt" -- I love it. And how hard must it be for nalcar to recognize that he's the Clive Owen of the Gardenweb Kitchens forum?

Lotta lawyers and computer geeks on here. That's either a bonus or a sure sign of the apocalypse.

And worldmom has figured out why I have all those singles tucked into my toolbelt!

She has quite a sense of humor- which must be a prerequisite for 12 kids . . .

Great, fun, stress relieving thread. It's nice to know everyone's backstory. It's like speed dating for the TKO!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I'm another professional geek (database engineer). Our kitchen is DIY and Hubby does most of the work. He's a chiropractor by profession but changes to insurance plans, etc. (Arnold really shafted chiros here in CA) as well as a slowing economy and then family issues have meant that he has significantly slowed down on the number of patients he sees. So, he has the time to work on the kitchen (in-between family doctor appointments and surgeries, that is). The kitchen remodel was supposed to be a quickie month-long project. We're 14+ months into it with no end in sight. Still have the rest of the house to do, too. (If the housing market wasn't so horrible where we are we would have sold and found a better place but...)

I found these boards back when I was researching flooring options for our remodel and have just stuck around, getting advice and hopefully helping out a few folks, too.

• rcvt
    15 years ago

It's very nice to be in such good company. I'm a natural-born lurker and recluse. I find all of you to be very knowledgeable and congenial and extremely generous with your expertise, support, and humor. Thanks!

I'm married to a lovely guy and live in zone 3 Vermont. Yes it's cold. But beautiful. My house is passive-solar and on a sunny day it can be 75 degrees in here even without the wood stove on.

My second kitchen remodel is in deep and seemingly endless planning stages. I recently retired and now I can spend even more time measuring, drawing, researching, and putting off decisions. I'm a DIY klutz but my DH is talented and willing to build what I design. Can't ask for more.

rc

• holligator
    15 years ago

I'm a college professor, and I completed my first kitchen remodel about a year ago with the help of the wonderful folks here. I say "completed" but I actually mean "almost completed" (still a few key items to wrap up before I can call it finished).

• kitchendesigner
    15 years ago

Professional custom cabinetmaker for 22 years plus schooling. Self employed for last 12 based in NJ. I also travel the country doing seminars and consulting work for the industry.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I LOVE everything domestic... Sewing, cooking, art, gardening, etc. I have an art background and worked as a graphic designer before having kids.

We have completed several large scale renovations at our 1890's house, most recently the kitchen.

I am studying to become a KD and as a student member of the NKBA am invited to lots of interesting, fun and informative design related events.

I have also had quite a bit of freelance graphic design work lately so am finding myself immersed in design (which I love).

I am also working on a DIY project ... trying to make over our third floor - 2 bedrooms, a playroom and bathroom. I am trying to do this on a budget of $0 - this means sewing with fabric I already have. Painting with paint I already have and trying to be as creative as I can. Currently I am completing tailored bedskirts with inverted pleats for a pair of twin beds. I want to paint a checkerboard floor next.

I read Elle Decor magazine cover to cover every month.

Great thread.

• blakey
    15 years ago

I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past 21 years, though recently started my own small business selling high-end women's clothes. Have two children in college and one in high school. I am in awe of the people on this forum, not only for their expert opinions but also for their kind support, charming personalities, and good humor. This has been my first kitchen renovation and up until about two weeks ago, I thought I would never renovate again because I stressed too much. But now that it is coming together, I think I would tackle another one(when I have some money again!)

• marty_2008
    15 years ago

I am an RN who is the supervisor of an outpatient cardiac rehab. Also own my own business as an EFT practitioner. (wholistic practice involving acupressure points and the meridian system) I'm mostly a lurker, and continue to do so even though our kitchen (and whole downstairs reno) was finished in late Nov. My DH is pretty handy and we DIY the upstairs BR, but didn't have the time or expertise to do this reno. Really appreciated everything we learned from all you helpful folks.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

It IS interesting to read the backgrounds of names I see way too often . Too often, cuz I'm on here instead of working or painting or patching drywall or decluttering or hemming pants or ... :>) I love gardening too- I have a home-based nursery and sell plants and seeds. I also coach synchronized swimming. I am a former teacher (stayed home to raise two children) and have always done lots around the 5 homes we've owned- thought we had renovated before- but now know that was 'just remodeling'- now that we have taken on the complete DIY renovation of a 40+ year old home- top to bottom and inside out. Having built our previous home- albeit with a contractor and just doing odd job things like laying wood floors, special wiring (DH is an electrical engineer- gotta have wires everywhere!)- have to say building from scratch was way easier and much faster!

We are almost finished the kitchen- though wish I had thought of using GW before we'd ordered cabinets- I don't think I would have changed the design much- but perhaps I would have avoided dealing with the company I chose- who knows- it's taken nearly 2 years and I'm so drained from the constant delays/problems that I forget to be thankful and appreciate the brand new kitchen.

Have to say- posters here are genuinely some of the most thoughtful, kind and generous people I have encountered- so though we do call ourselves TKO- perhaps it's really more GWG- (Garden Web Groupies?)

• iambpt
    15 years ago

It is fun to read about everyone. I've seen other posts about "who we are", but never got around to posting my own info.

I'm a professor, my husband is an electrical engineer who is changing careers to become an actuary. I'm TKO and my husband is TKC (totally kitchen compliant) b/c he's been hearing about it since we moved into our home 3 years ago. Its a dream house built in 12" limestone (hand quarried in 1933-35)... well, at least the outside is a dreamhouse. The inside... a work in progress. We're the kind of people who have forgone luxuries like attached garages and multiple large bathrooms to restore a historical house. In return, we have a river property that makes up for the lack of amenities :) Our kitchen remodel is starting next saturday, so i'v been spending even more time than normal on these boards! And now, i have to get back to grading... Holligator, i'm sure you know the feeling!
    bpt

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I'm a graphic designer ... not to be confused with an interior or kitchen designer. :-)

Jodi-

• bklyn2pok
    15 years ago

I'm a finance professional in the media industry by day and DIY'er on the weekends.

DH and I purchased our 1920's basic 3 bdrm in 2004 and have renovated every room in the house. The kitchen was our "Graduation Project" in 2007/2008. We learned what to do ourselves and what to call a professional for (electrical and major plumbing).

We both grew up in older homes that needed regular repairs so it was only natural that we would end up owning an older home that needs love and care.

• katiee511
    15 years ago

After 16+ years in Banking, I am a SAHM and a "Tax Season Widow" (DH owns his own tax/accounting business and is gone 7am-midnight from Dec-May) Since DS is now a Sophomore in HS I have my days to myself.

When we decided to re-do our kitchen I (fortunately) stumbled upon here while searching for an inspiration picture. I became quickly addicted and can read these forums for hours!

I have no DIY skills that I am aware of :) but these folks here sure have me itching to just TRY something. DH would rather pay a professional then tackle an unknown and he really prefers to have the work done while he is in Tax Season....... therefore, leaving all the decisions to me. Which in some ways is a good thing and in others is so very frustrating.

The wonderful, experienced and helpful people I have found here have helped me make many decisions.... most they are unaware of as I am a huge fan of the search function and read old posts by the hour.

Our kitchen demo starts 3/16..... scary and exciting at the same time.

This has been great "meeting" everyone on this thread as I have read many, many posts and it's been fun recognising your names and hearing your stories!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Bethandkevin: I grew up in a solid limestone house built in the 30's, on a river!
    Casey

• kulagal
    15 years ago

How wonderful to read about everyone's background! My DH and I are currently living in London (5+ years) but looking forward to returning to the USA next year and to our new home in Hawaii (originally from Calif)! I am a retired university administrator and my husband is an economist who tells me to be patient right now with our current troubled economy - "this too shall pass," he says. I have had a love and fascination for building houses and interior decor since a child but have only built one house and we are currently remodeling a small cottage on our 2 acre property in Hawaii (from long distance). Due to the economy we had to postpone building our dream house until things settle down and start to improve. Hopefully, by 2012 we will get that chance. I have so appreciated all the helpful advice and community spirit on GW and will hopefully be able to give back once our project is completed in the next few months. Our contractor just demo'd the kitchen and living area - cabs, flooring, windows, etc will be arriving some time in the next 6 weeks or so plus he's working on the front exterior which will complete Phase I. The two bedrooms and bath have already been remodeled. Phase II will include adding on a sunroom, enclosing area below sunroom for laundry area, and deck that will start spring of 2010-a few months before we return home. It's been a pleasure "meeting" you all!

• kandt
    15 years ago

what an interesting, eclectic group!

I am a middle school teacher, wife and mother. My DS just got married last summer and my DS is in college--we are loving the empty nesting life! I love to eat so it's a good think I love to cook and bake.

I am remodeling as a result of a flood/asbestos/mildew problem. What a blessing cuz we never would have undertaken this project otherwise! We started around Christmas and knocked down walls and fireplace. We are now in the process of building it back up again--inspection for electrical is tomorrow.

I am so thankful for stumbling on this site! Thank you all for your collective wisdom and generousity of time, talent and opinion!

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I am a billionaire Nobel laureate with the body of a Russian gymnast and the smile of a Hollywood screen idol ..NOT ! Precious and I manage to eke out a living doing a few different things. Prior to this stage of life I spent a long time in the fashion biz and built a couple of retail stores.

This is dwelling renovation number 5. The first reno was almost entirely contracted out. With each new project, I found myself wanting to do more and more of the important stuff (plumbing, wiring, etc.). I must be getting old - I don't have a lot of confidence anymore in the younger trades people.

I wish this site had been around 25 years ago. It's an invaluable source of information and I am truly appreciative of the welcoming and helpful people who spend their time here.

• pam2007
    15 years ago

I am a Realtor and husband builds custom homes. Not a great combo at the moment, but this too shall pass as stated earlier. Being married to a builder I have moved 28 times in the last 25 years. That's alot of kitchens! We have been in the same house now for 4 years and it is now on the market and I have the itch big time for a new kitchen project of my own. I love this forum and check it daily. There are years of experience and new ideas everyday. Great thread....

• Stacey Collins
    15 years ago

(rhome410, I didn't know you homeschooled?! We also did, for 2 years when we were living on our sailboat. We're considering it again, but high school seems a lot more daunting than elementary school!)

We're DIY-ers who just bought a 1956 fixer-upper in a great neighborhood. We previously renovated a 1926 colonial from a wreck into a super sweet house. WE could not believe it when we had a bidding war on it when we sold it last fall!

This house is a major project. We intended to start with just the kitchen in January, but the kind folks here started us thinking bigger, and now we're hoping to completely switch around the first floor and add a bedroom and bath at the same time. Waiting on carpenter bids right now for the major framing that we don't want to DIY.

I'm a SAHM, freelance writer for sailing mag, and freelance graphic designer and web designer. Right now I am also fairly full-time architect, GC, landscape designer and gardener.

We are avid sailors, having sailed Maine to South America and back a couple years ago. WE're also extremely interested in sustainable living, and are excited about the new 1000 sf organic vegetable garden we'll have here. We have seven hens that produce a gorgeous basket of eggs in all colors ranging from deep terra-cotta brown to blue-green to pale pink.

DH is a boat systems tech, mechanic, woodworker, and rock musician. DD is a very talented pre-teen writer/artist/photographer/mucician who successfully lobbied our old city to change the zoning ordinance so she could raise chickens in our teeny backyard.

Stacey

• alicia58801
    15 years ago

My name is Alicia, and I am a GW addict.

It is so awesome to read about all of you, whose advice and wisdom I absorb way too often (to my DH's dismay!)

While I don't contribute much (I feel like I know NOTHING yet) I have recieved some excellent feedback from many of you. I have no doubt that I will be asking for more feedback, but I will also try to contribute where my limited knowledge allows.

So, I am a stay-at-home mom of two boys. My degree is in English education, but most often these days I sub at a small local school wherever they need me. We are currently building a house (in the plumbing and electrical stage--yay!) and I feel like I am learning a new language in the process.

The kitchen is my obsession--again, much to my DH's dismay--and I have no doubt that my future kitchen would've been a complete mess without the knowledge that I've found here. You people rock!

Alicia

• mjjones453
    15 years ago

I am a dreamer! I dream about decorating, having a new kitchen, Puting my touch on my home. I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to ever re-do my kitchen, but I will someday make updates to it. I love seeing what others have done. Whether with a designer or a DIY, you all have so much talent.
    Daily I work for a School District, copying and ordering for them. At home I love to quilt X-stitch,draw, and garden.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Wow, what a mix of people here! I'm "retired" (just too young for pension - quit to be SAHM) after 22 yrs civilian Navy. Started as technician, Uncle Sam paid half for BSEE, all of MSEE. DH was in the Army, went to school on GI Bill got BSCS and is now a computer geek.

We put (mostly decorating - stripping wallpaper, painting, installing vinyl flooring in very small areas, new lighting since fixtures were missing) lots of sweat equity in condo we bought at auction in mid-90's, moved 2 years later, hired people for most of the work there (powerwash, paint/stain, new roof, driveway, lawn) except for the master bath reno. We did demo, installed airpool tub, backerboard, insulation, did framing, tub set, rough plumbing, wiring. We hired carpenter to install vanity and built oak front tub apron, but we installed sinks & faucets after he put on countertop and cut holes, I ordered custom doors and finished them to have him install on front of tub, hired plumber to drill and install Roman faucet and handshower on acrylic tub, we painted, installed mirror, lights and toilet (didn't move so that was easy). Hired pro for tile work (on top of our backerboard - all the way up to height of old 1-pc tub/shower plus floor) but I laid out pattern. We also stained the cedar siding numerous times, which is why we opted for vinyl on new house. Also did small projects like adding/changing outlets to GFIs, attic fan, interior painting, etc.

We decided to build modular when DH got job in CT near my family - took 1 week to design house (based on stock floorplan) 1 more week to lay out kitchen. It wasn't such a good job, I messed kitchen lighting pattern up (somehow wrong diagram, done by HD designer instead of the one I tweaked, got to builder in the rush. We moved 1 can that had drifted into FR before painting, should have torn out the whole kitchen ceiling and placed them symmetrically but we were in a hurry). Other things factory messed up (like not putting outlets exactly where I specified in some cases, in other cases where I just said "do to code" we ended up with some weird placement). One of the things that bugs me the most is builder asked about flooring in foyer and mudroom since steel and fiberglas doors couldn't be cut down and "everything was cut for carpet". I said give me an inch for either HW or tile, figuring then I'd have 1/4" clearance, and suggested he make all the doors over tile the same height. He raised every single door (except the ones over carpet where we used 1/2" pad and carpet was actually higher than hard surfaces!) and inch off the subfloor - then I discovered that door manufacturers allow for 1-1.25" clearance when jamb is set on subfloor! Even the fibreglas door came with a 1" threshold so jambs would have been off the subfloor and would not have had to been undercut. He lowered a few doors that were going to be installed onsite (marriage wall) to the subfloor, but didn't get them the same height, not even the 2 within inches of each other, told me I was imagining things when I pointed it out. Now tile is in, I'm replacing casing around 3 of the 4 openings to get them the same height as the highest one (has to be the highest b/c the others have daylight showing b/t sheetrock and top casing at the height he installed them). Still trying to figure out how to lower pocket doors (need to find longer bolts?) without ripping out walls since there is 1.5" space b/t door and tile. Some day I hope to be done fixing things and get around to finishing my master bath. So I'm asking for lots of advice from GWebbers!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

sailormann, that was hysterical!

I am a westcoast dockworker, married for 37 years, 3 grown children with
    1 college age son still home. Have enjoyed this forum since I found it, its the
    only forum I have ever been on.
    I love my home, I love cooking for my family and friends and especially in my new finished kitchen!
    vic

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I am an allied health educator and clinician. I went back to school and got an interior design degree about six years after I finished my post-doc. (I have always been backward). I take on one project at a time and especially enjoy kitchen planning because the parameters are pretty specific.

• ptyles
    15 years ago

I am a human resources manager and work from home full time and my DH is a Systems Engineer. We bought a foreclosure in August and are slowly getting our ducks in a row to get our kitchen project moving. We redid the kitchen in our former house and I found GW way back in 2003. I lurked a bit then and kind of lost the site for a while. I now mainly lurk and soak up all the fabulous info given out daily. I tell my DH about this site and all the things I learn while he smiles and nods at me.

• berf
    15 years ago

I'm a New Englander living in greater DC (Maryland side) who wishes the sea were closer. I'm a former Marine (really--12 years) with degrees in Journalism/PR and Computer Information Management. We homeschool our two daughters in cooperation with another family where our house serves as the "school." I'm the director of a part-time pre-school serving 150 kids at our church just a block from my house. My own kids just tag with me. Life is good! Just finished our second kitchen in this house (we've been here nearly 12 years). First was upon purchase and mostly DIY to make an unliveable house liveable on a meager budget. This most recent project "finished" in October was part of a whole-house renovation (within the existing footprint) of our tiny 1939 cape. 12 years of dreaming and drawing finally brought to fruition. Still a small-scale house, as we like it. Our "big room" began this week---construction on a 20x20 screen porch has begun out back --it will be the single largest space on the premises! (we do have a nice big yard)
    Love to cook, knit, read, garden in my free time and we love love love having people over for dinner and socializing. Most of our entertainment is right here at home!

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

I am a former teacher, current SAHM in suburban NJ; dh owns a video game start up company. We bought our first and only house thus far, an 1895 victorian, in 1997. It was badly in need of repair then (which was why we were able to afford it - it sat on the market for a year because no one else had the stomach for it). 12 years, 4 kids, 1 dog, 4 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 2 hamsters, 1 lizard , and 2 rats ( pets, not vermin!) later, we are finally getting around to the renovation. We are not DIYers but we think we are, which is the worst kind. To be fair, dh is a wiz with technology, very good with electrical and surprisingly handy with plumbing. Just don't let him get involved with anything pertaining to carpentry. As for me, my greatest contribution to this project is my capacity for suffering. (Eight months now with the only source of running water in the basement - and no end in sight!) I have the typical Gemini's dual personality - I am as comfortable at a cocktail party as I am by myself at home curled up with a good book; I love to bake and knit but I have a passion for running triathlons; I can just as easily see myself 20 years from now living in a NYC apartment or a mountainside cabin. All this may explain why I have such a hard time making decision with regard to kitchen design!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I'm a retired litigator -turned art gallery owner -turned-academic administrator and senior exec in the nonprofit sector. I live in a century old limestone rowhouse in New York City with my perfect cat, Zoe. While I am a happily divorced baby boomer and empty nester, I'm also pleased and privileged to describe myself as someone's mother and nana, daughter and sister, aunt, cousin, friend and neighbor. Of late, I would add TKO to my various identities and, without a doubt, I owe that last dubious (but delightful) distinction to all of you!

Indeed, I have become so TKO since I first discovered this community that, although I started out doing only one kitchen, I am now completing renos of Kitchen #1 and Kitchen #2! My primary kitchen, has been put together with the help of an ID and GC and is an all-out effort to concoct the kitchen of my dreams for the first time ever in my life. In short, it's been an expensive mid-life joy ride (with an occasional bit of pain thrown into the mix) which feels very much overdue and deserved! The other reno started out as a temporary kitchen stocked with the relocated cabs and appliances from my primary kitchen. In time, however, it morphed into a full-fledged, extremely low budget, handyman installation of what will eventually become the kitchen for a rental unit in my house. As different as these 2 kitchens are in costs and appearances, I love them both dearly for very different reasons and learned a helluva lot in the process of creating them. It's also why I can sincerely relate to every kitchen reno I see here -- regardless of finishes, appliances, cabs and budgets.

Now that I'm on the verge of kitchen reno "graduation", here's hoping I can do a bit of giving back here by sharing a few of my lessons learned and by offering helpful advice and solid encouragement when needed!

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

Well I hope I don't bore you with TMI but here goes. I am 47yr old. I am a Dental Hygienist. I graduated 25yrs ago but 2 yrs. ago had to retire because I have Multiple Sclerosis I was diagnosesed in 2000 but continued to work another 5 years till it got too hard. 8 yrs ago we moved into a modest 1980's ranch to make it easier for me the old house had allot of stairs. The home was very well kept but dated. This website has been my life line people have been so helpful and encouraging. I love to decorate my home but now on one income have to do so on a smaller budget. Don't get me wrong I feel very blessed and have a wonderful husband and DS (most of the time he's 16) and we have a very comfortable life. We bought this home knowing I would not be working forever. I still ski, and scuba dive, volunteer, and make it to DS sporting events. I think there is a thread on sophistication. That is not important to me. I just want to enjoy my modest comfortable home and make it function for me but also be warm and inviting to other people. No museum here! Thank's to you guys I hope I can achieve my goal.

• jtalb
    15 years ago

Wow it's great reading a bit about everybody!

I am a Registered Nurse, but currently not working & loving being a stay at home mom to two girls 7 & 5 yrs :)

We have a 1955 ish 1100 sq ft bungalow that needed some serious cosmetic updating when we moved in (think foil & fuzzy wall paper)

We are almost finished an entire kitchen reno (It's been over a year now.) I used to have a dark, non-functioning kitchen. My kitchen, although not as fabulous as what you find here, is a million times better than what I had before
    and I love working in it now :)

• jen19083
    15 years ago

bump

• chachashea
    15 years ago

I'm a SAHM with two elementary-age daughters and a 14-month-old son. We've live in an urban suburb of Chicago in a Chicago-style brick bungalow. I've been addicted to this forum since December when I started researching soapstone for our upcoming kitchen remodel.

• judydel
    14 years ago

I'm a mother of three kids (21, 18, 14) and have home schooled my younger two kids each for two years (not concurrently). My DD is a serious ballet student and I've spent much of the past 10 years driving her back and forth to ballet when I wasn't driving my sons back and forth to sports practices and band/play rehearsals.

Two months ago my DW took an early retirement/buyout from AT&T and has been home slowly completing an addition/renovation that we started in the fall of '07. We had a builder build our two story 900 square feet addition, but my husband has been slowly doing the finish work (floors, staining, trim, hardware) and I do most of the painting (I don't do stairwells). We are getting ready to rip out our kitchen and do a full renovation from the floors up. I am the brains of the operation and my husband does most of the hands on work.

I own a child care center that I founded 19 years ago. It is inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach and we have room for up to 74 children at one time. I have a full staff of 20 including a cleaning service and at this point I do not have to report to the center on a daily basis. I do the bookkeeping from my home office.

I also do what is called Transformational Energy Healing (similar to Reiki, but the training was more intense . . . three years part time). I had an energy healing studio up town for 6 years and recently moved it into one of the new rooms built with the addition. I am studying Homeopathy in my leisure. It is a long distance course offered through the School of Homeopathy in Devon, England. My family hardly ever uses allopathic medication (regular medications) and prefer to go the natural route. Other than having to fight lyme disease, we have all been healthy, which I am grateful for.

I love being home with my family, and I love eating home cooked meals that are lovingly prepared using organic, high quality ingredients. I am fortunate because my DH loves to garden. He even has a huge greenhouse and he grows a variety of greens all winter! In addition to a wide assortment of veggies, he also grows raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, pears, peaches, paw paws, plums, figs, and grapes. I can tomatoes every summer and jar applesauce, and the rest of the overflow fruit/berries I freeze. We raise chickens for their lovely eggs. And we grow other chickens twice a year for their meat. In the recent past we've have ducks and enjoyed their magnificent eggs. Over the years my husband has raised pigs, capons, and cows all for their meat. Presently, we just have chickens and the gardens . . . the rest we buy from organic local farmer friends. We compost and grow everything organically

I appreciate all of the patient assistance everyone has given me as I've gone through the evolution of ideas necessary to my settling on a kitchen design. I tend to throw a bunch of sh*t against the wall and see what sticks before making up my mind on anything. I've learned so much from so many. Thank you all.

• buildinginva
    14 years ago

What a great thread (but starting to resemble that Facebook 25 things list)!

I am a lawyer and mom of a 2-year old force of nature. We are in the middle of building our first custom house after tearing down a piece of ugliness in a suburb of DC.

I am TO with everything house-related (has to be part of the Type A thing).

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Is it too late to bump?