Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on Kitchen Design

Posted by Kaiden22 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:31

I am hoping some of you may have some design advice on my soon-to-be kitchen. We are building a new home (not custom, but the builder is very flexible with design changes) and I am trying to figure out a way to make the kitchen look and feel more spacious. It feels pretty cramped. The first thing I want to do is narrow the island or remove it completely, but the other problem is this "window" We are stuck with the support beams, but I was wondering if we could open it up to the ceiling rather than arching the drywall. Do you think this would look strange given that there are arches to both the left and right? The other thing I was considering in this area is the bar (or lack of). Behind the drywall sits a couple of lower cabinets with a dishwasher, sink and backsplash. The raised bar counter is only about 10" wide. I thought about dropping the bar and backsplash so that this entire counter is level and then extend the granite to make a rounded overhang that could be used as a true breakfast bar with stools. That way you could see most of the kitchen through this window area and vice versa looking out. I am also considering white or off white cabinets to open the space. I realize it's hard to go off of a picture, but I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

This post was edited by Kaiden22 on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on Kitchen Design

Here is a picture of the rest of the kitchen.

o

It's hard to help much without a floorplan view and dimensions, but I wonder if you open the 'window' down to the floor, have cabinets or cabinet panels face out under a bar that, like you suggested is counter height and extends into the room a bit....around the support posts.

Does that wall have to be angled? Again, a layout of the room and that whole floor will help you get more response.

Is there a header above that arch? Do you like the arches?

o

Thanks for the feedback. I have attached a copy of the floorplan if it helps. I do love the idea of the cabinets facing out with a bar counter rather than having the drywall beneath. I think that would pull the kitchen into the family room more which is what I am hoping to do.

There is nothing we can do about the support beams (without a major structural change which would cost way more than we are willing to spend) so unfortunately that wall has to be angled. The arches are throughout the house and I actually like them, just not on this 'window' because it closes off the kitchen too much.

I hope this floor plan helps if anyone has design advice! They won't be breaking ground until next month so we have a little bit of time to figure out what we want to do - we're just hoping we can make the changes before rather than after to give us the most open kitchen for the layout.

THANKS AGAIN!

o

Can you draw the kitchen to scale (maybe on graph paper) so we can see it larger and in more detail, and have dimensions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here