Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaiden22

Opinions on Kitchen Design

Kaiden22
11 years ago

I am hoping some of you may have some design advice on my soon-to-be kitchen. We are building a new home (not custom, but the builder is very flexible with design changes) and I am trying to figure out a way to make the kitchen look and feel more spacious. It feels pretty cramped. The first thing I want to do is narrow the island or remove it completely, but the other problem is this "window" We are stuck with the support beams, but I was wondering if we could open it up to the ceiling rather than arching the drywall. Do you think this would look strange given that there are arches to both the left and right? The other thing I was considering in this area is the bar (or lack of). Behind the drywall sits a couple of lower cabinets with a dishwasher, sink and backsplash. The raised bar counter is only about 10" wide. I thought about dropping the bar and backsplash so that this entire counter is level and then extend the granite to make a rounded overhang that could be used as a true breakfast bar with stools. That way you could see most of the kitchen through this window area and vice versa looking out. I am also considering white or off white cabinets to open the space. I realize it's hard to go off of a picture, but I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

This post was edited by Kaiden22 on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:55

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!