Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen/ countertops mixing and matching Island

Posted by mistykay (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:30

HELP!! We have a new build kitchen and need to decide on counters we have a 20 ft long wall cabinets with few uppers in antique white with white oak countertops with beadboard backsplash in the same white. and a 48inch GE range with stainless backing. the Island is 13 ft long made with quarter sawn white oak antique stain and three light pendant lighting in white and oil bronze, the floors are fingered white oak all stained medium with oil finish. We need to decide on island counters and the stain on the wood counters....We are looking at stainless for the Island and matching the main wall counter stain to the island....Other options for the island would be white or dark. all of our hardware will be oil rubbed bronze. I feel like there is alot going on, have I mixed and matched too much will the stainless look out of place? Any suggestions for counter top? There is also a wine rack built in above the fridge with wood inserts that I have no control over the stain color as the components come prefabricated.Help!! Im having heart palpatations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen/ countertops mixing and matching Island

I would go, perhaps, with the same basic stain color or undertone for the perimeter counters as the island, but in a different value... Darker or lighter, so the island has some additional character, separating it from the counter color.

What style is your island? We have some stainless on our perimeter counters, but stainless on the island counter, central to the room and bigger, can be cold ...or wonderful, depending on the style and color of the island. You might already be aware that it'll dent and scratch, so you have to appreciate patina.

I think you might be trying to match things that have no relationship to keep from having too much going on. But, if I can be honest, I think joining things like island and perimeter counter, and island counter and the range backing doesn't really make sense and can draw the eye in a way you might not like, and actually make the room seem busier. Let things stand alone and create a focal point, or decide on elements you want to showcase, allowing them to be a little different to stand out.

If you have a line drawing of the kitchen, or a 3D view that you can add color to and try different options, it could really help you create the vision you want.

It sounds like you might be going for a period look in which some unfittedness could be appropriate, so things don't have to match.

Do you have some samples of the colors and materials, and maybe a view of the kitchen you can show here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here