Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callmejane

sneak peak

CallMeJane
10 years ago

BRB w updated pics...

Its been almost a year that we have been building, 11 months to be exact. While I was on the fence about whether I liked my kitchen or not when it first went in, I must say, I totally love my kitchen. Its unique and sufficient. Its on the small size for the size house, and by GW standards, but the bigger kitchen the more to clean up, so all in all, Im quite happy. Now if it stops snowing, and we can move in, I would be happier. Will put up more pics when we are finally in, and when its totally done (still missing lift up microwave door). Thanks to GW and everyone on here for the support over the past years!

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 16:58

Comments (23)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

What's NOT to love!! It's beautiful. I really love the stone wall A LOT, pulls together the gray and brown beautifully. Love the mix of cabinet colors, love the floor (is that wood or ceramic?), love your pendants.

I see you have the white macaubas. I do as well (cross cut though). I also have some gray stained cabinetry, the other is painted white. Have you thought about a backsplash yet? Just curious what you'll be using as I found it difficult to find something that went with the counter.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BRB with updated pics...

Here's another shot....I tried to tie the backsplash and the accent wall as close as possible. The backsplash has copper accents in it...cant really see it unless you catch the light right (which is good). Its actually there under the pendants on the 2nd island, but there are a couple of boxes blocking it in the 1st picture. I have to change out the switch plates and I found stainless outlet stickers, so they arent white eyesores.
    The flooring is hardwood. Because the grey and white gave a cold look, I tried to warm it up with the backsplash. I found really pretty slate with crushed glass mosaics, but I wasnt going for pretty, good luck with your hunt.
    Thanks for the response!

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 16:59

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Small?
    Ok.
    It is lovely. Enjoy!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like how the island curve mimics the range hood or vice versa. Very nice.

• smiling
    10 years ago

Stunning! I also love the subtle repetition of the curves on the hood, pantry door, shelves, island, and in the ceiling of that butter-colored? adjacent room. It's a beautiful kitchen, and that stone is just right with your colors. It doesn't look small! Congratulations, and best wishes moving in soon!

• romy718
    10 years ago

If that's a small kitchen, I have a tiny kitchen. So different from the usual GW kitchen (like mine) and I just love it! The brick, the light fixtures, the cabinet finish, the island. Awesome!

• Chris
    10 years ago

Love the stacked stone!
    The whole kitchen is gorgeous. Congrats!

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys...I knew gardenwebbers would notice the minute details.
    Ok, so I guess small is relative. There was a post on here not too long ago about a kitchen that was 16x15 and was thought to be small by GW standards by the OP with no objection by the follow-ups...this is smaller than that. Also, a few friends mentioned concern about not having enough storage bc I am not lined with cabinets. The back room is the formal dining with a built-in buffet that, I think, has ample storage.
    Thats what I get for being insecure about size....
    But I am definitely soaking up the feed back. Muchly appreciated!!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

(FWIW, our kitchen is 13'x13', so yours doesn't seem small to me!)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

What a tease!
    I love your fridge wall and shelves. Definitely unique!
    Can't wait to see the full reveal

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Whoa, doesn't look small to me. Absolutely beautiful!
    MJ

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! (My kitchen is 8' x 11')

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

Seriously beautiful and unique. Great job!!

• nmjen
    10 years ago

So pretty! I love the open shelving/backsplash on the fridge wall.

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

Stunning. And not small :) Very nicely done.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

If this is the sneak peak, then I can't wait for the main feature!! I have a huge smile on my face as I look at your pictures - wow. (Definitely want to see more of the room off to the right with the beautiful arch).

Outlets - we decouppaged ours and they turned out pretty well. Love the grey cabinets and curved island. (Glass stools hopefully, oh please don't obscure this!). Wanted the white macaubus but ended up with something different (love how it looks). Congratulations and please post more pictures of the kitchen and the rest of your home.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

It has such beautiful lines, everywhere. And the warm rustic textures are so rich and pleasing. I think it took a lot of skill to coordinate all of this so well.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future.

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

Love all the details, especially the pretty stone. Thank you for sharing!

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is rustic yet sophisticated warm and welcoming. Great repetition of curves. Nicely done. Thank you for sharing. Post more pictures, please.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Mine's 12x10 with peninsula to the dining area.

I'm kinda done with all this size junk.
    Obviously this topic has been beaten to death, but how about just "Here's my new kitchen!" Not, "Here's my small/low budget/cheap/temporary/failing-In-imaginary-comparison dream kitchen.

Yours is lovely and the attention to detail is quite obvious. I also suggest some kind of Lucite seats not to hide that really nice work!

• carree
    10 years ago

Can I move in?

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys....Im hoping the kitchen guys can finish things next week.

I guess one of problems with public forums is that they lack the ability of a person to control others...be it in the form of what others say, post, how they comment, or what they choose to say. While I realize my comment on size was not phrased in a more sophisticated manner, it stemmed more from not having a lot of cabinets and a smaller pantry...not the actual physical size, though that too is relative. It may not have come out that way, and for that my deepest apologies.

The point, as the picture shows, was to display a unique kitchen. Not to make anyone feel insecure about their kitchen size or whatever else my statement may have caused anyone to feel. I have lurked for years, and have read plenty of threads where someone said something, and people picked them part and force them back into being a lurker because they said something, or didn't say something according to someone's standard or their opinion.

I posted the picture because its been a work in progress for so long, and I wanted to contribute back to the wonderful people of gardenweb. I, as many others have, come to this forum for ideas, planning/design, and learning from people's mistakes or success stories.

For those who take strides of udder perfection, I tip my hat to you. I am as fault riddled as my posts. The fact that, for some people, my pictures were overshadowed by a sentence shows that. For all the others who over looked my lack of eloquence, and we able to focus on the eye candy, thanks so much!! You are the reason I post however infrequently as I do! Though I will say, the fact that my post inspired another thread makes me feel like I contributed doubly!! Did I say that right? :)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think some of the comments about the size was also made to make you feel better about it. Just ignore if it bothers you. That said.

What a beautiful kitchen. Great example of marrying form and function. I'm a function over form gal and yours has blown me away as it doesn't only function well, but it is also very good design statement and it all works so well together to create a work of art. Kind of like a functional sculpture in the house.