Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msloane794

Purchasing Plubming fixtures on-line?

msloane794
16 years ago

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences purchasing plumbing fixtures on-line? It seems that you can find great prices on name brand products if you google around a bit. There are literally hundreds of places on the web, and the prices I am seeing are hundreds of dollars less than the local suppliers. I'm just curious if some of these places are hard to work with, or don't deliver what they say they are delivering.

FYI, I am looking at buying a Blanco stainless steel kitchen sink, and Grohe fixtures. For what I am looking for lowcostplumbing.com and irawoods.com look like the best prices I've found so far.

Comments (26)

• alanandnancy
    16 years ago

I've been gathering the names of all the online places for sinks and faucets (and some include other sorts of appliances/supplies as well) from this wondrous list.

The only one that seems to have a lot of mixed good/bad reviews is homeclick - seems to have the best prices, but a lot of unhappy customers as well.

Here's the list:
    Faucetdirect
    Homeandstone
    Efaucets
    Homeclick
    Irawoods
    Faucetdepot
    Designerplumbing
    Galaxytoolsupply
    Needplumbingsupplies
    Biyplumbing.net
    Overstock
    Ebay
    Homeannex
    Amazon
    IKEA
    Moeappliances
    Chicagofaucets
    Fausink
    Lowcostplumbing

--Nancy

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I bought my sinks, faucets, disposal,and water filtration system on line. Everybody was very good to deal with. BUT no one site had the lowest prices on every item, so I spent eons on line and ordered different things from different places.

I found the best prices for my kitchen sink (Elkay 2816) and disposal (ISE cover control)at www.fausink.com. The sink was in stock and came a day later. The ISE was not in stock and took longer; it was drop-shipped.

Kitchen faucet came from www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com. Not in stock but they ordered it from KWC and shipped it to me when it came in. There's a story here: the KWC shipment took so long that I was frantic. Their customer service person was terrific - spent time on the phone with KWC and ultimately sent the faucet overnight (which they never do) because it was so delayed. Their price on the KWC Konos was rock-bottom.

Bathroom faucet (Danze) came from www.faucet.com. They were great! After I ordered the faucet I found it for $50 less on another site while I was looking for a bathroom sink. Faucet.com matched the other price and credited me with the $50. Faucet was in stock and came in 5 minutes.

Finally, my powder room sink came from www.faucetdirect, which had the lowest price on my Kohler Camber and had the almond in stock. It came a day or two later.

Bottom line: I am a big believer in buying from local businesses but they either didn't have what I wanted or were so expensive it wasn't worth it. All of the on-line vendors were great to deal with and I am very happy. BUT - you need to shop around. I did not find that Irawoods had the lowest prices on anything I wanted - but then again, it depends on what you are looking for.

• hest88
    16 years ago

We bought both our Kindred sink and our Insinkerator garbage disposal from Irawoods. In this case, they *did* have the cheapest price for both, even after the shipping costs. Our Danze faucet came from an Amazon sale. I agree that you have to do a lot of Googling. We ended up buying some of our smaller plumbing items locally, purely because the shipping costs would have made them just as expensive to buy online.

• dorothyct
    16 years ago

We have ordered a few things from Irawoodonline and they have been great. We even had a return and it was very easy. I will buy from them again if the need arises.

We bought our Kindred sink, Grohe faucet and just recently went back to them to buy the sink grids.

Dorothy

• rich_n
    16 years ago

I ordered by Delta Allora faucet from Faucetdepot.com. They had the lowest price, and no shipping. I got the faucet within 4 days via Fed ex. I've yet to install yet but so far everything looks ok.

• mariel1951
    16 years ago

JUST DON'T BUY FROM HOME DEPOT OR LOWES! ON LINE OR OTHERWISE. THE QUALITY IS NOT THERE AND PRICES ARE MUCH MORE, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ADD SALES TAX!

• nicole__
    16 years ago

As long as you buy a name brand with a model number you'll be fine. My Franke sink, grohe faucet....etc....all great deals on line, delivered to my front door. The minute I purchased a no name soap dispenser(seemed like such a no-brainer) I ran into "crap". I purchased a stainless steel finish soap dispenser and got plastic painted silver, but was able to return it for a full(shipping included) refund. I then purchased the real deal,stainless steel and paid less....but got more....go figure. (boberick, excellent quality!) :0)

• jillalamedat
    16 years ago

I bought both sinks, instant hot water, faucets, range and dishwasher on-line from various providers, including HomeClick. Amazingly enough, I did not have any problems with the quality of any of them. The range (which was a Bertazzoni 36" five-burner in the color vino, not exatly an off-the-shelf item) arrived way later than it was supposed to, but fortunately not before we were ready to install. I actually think that was Bertazzoni's fault rather than HomeClick's. I saved literallly thousands of dollars buying all this stuff on-line. The faucets were bigger than I wanted, but that's what I get for buying from a picture on the Internet instead of going to a plumbing supply place to see what it liked in person before I bought on the Internet.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

I bought my Herbeau Luberon farmhouse sink and Rohl Allia prep sink from Homeclick last summer and was very satisfied. Got 8% off on the Herbeau, and then they sent me a 15% off coupon that I used on the prep sink.

If you sign up to receive their notices, Homeclick will send you emails of their promotions. They have one right now for 5% off thru midnight PST tonight, Sun Mar 2 (code is HCLEAP08). They used to have a lot of 10% promotions, but so many lately.

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

I searched hard for the best prices and ended up purchasing my Shaw Allia prep sink with undermount kit from WSC Direct. Saved a couple hundred dollars. Had a minor problem with shipping. They forgot to ship the undermount kit. When I contacted them by email they responded promptly and had it to me in two days.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSC Direct

• hest88
    16 years ago

Just to add to this thread. I recently bought a sink grid from an eBay seller. UPS damaged the grid and the seller was great about the exchange. Since I firmly believe that how a vendor deals with problems is a stronger indication of how reliable a merchant they are then even a smooth transaction, I wanted to give them a plug as well.
    http://stores.ebay.com/EBUILDERSMERCHANT

• revans1
    16 years ago

Bought all we could from Costco.com. Good products, and great customer service (on a return of an item just because we had changed our mind.)

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

If we hadn't gone the online route there's no way we could have afforded what we got. I prefer to support local as well (and we've dropped a lot of money locally) but if online has items for half the price of what I can find locally, I'm going with online.

• caseykees
    9 years ago

I ordered my Kraus sink online from faucetdirect.com it came fast, packaged well and shipping was free. I didn't have any problems. We haven't installed it yet, but I checked it over for scratches or dents and found nothing wrong. My faucet I bought the orange store. I wanted to be able to see and feel the faucet and I searched for cheaper pricing on the one I picked out and didn't find anything.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I have had great luck with Build.com and their affiliate sites like Faucet.com. You can actually speak to a real person and get intelligent help. I also ordered a Toto toilet from Amazon with excellent results and pricing.

That said, I have also had outstanding luck with Lowe's by calling their 800-number and asking them to price match the lowest price found on the web. They have always done so, and they have a 90 day return policy that allows you to return any online purchase in-store. That is huge to me, especially when I'm trying to match finishes or colors. Most websites are 30 days, and you have to bear the cost of return postage. Home Depot's policy is the same.

I know Big Blue and Big Orange are ubiquitous and limited in as to what they carry in-store, and it is hard to get help in the stores, but they have never screwed me over. Just sayin . . .

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I bought all fixtures online without any problems. BUT I stayed away from places where the prices were suspiciously low. I'm talking about sites where the were the one source that was much lower than anywhere else. These usually correlated with some pretty lousy reviews.

• tedred
    9 years ago

That sounds like a pretty good idea if you are sure about what you are buying. Sometimes, product descriptions on online stores are lacking key information about the product and you can end up buying something wrong if you are not careful. That's more so for fixtures because they need to have exact specification to suit your needs and fit other fixtures and parts. Apart from that problem, buying online is absolutely great because you actually have the parts brought to your doorstep.

This post was edited by tedred on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 8:51

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

We get a 10% military discount from orange and blue, but still found things cheaper online than in the store, and saved sales tax, too. I just don't have the time to go to a bunch of different brick-and-mortar stores to shop prices and selection. Online has worked great, although I have not had to make any returns.

I purchased our Blanco sink from homeperfect.com for considerably less than I found it other online places. I didn't even look for it locally. It was back ordered, but I had plenty of time and it was here before I needed it. Also got the grids from them, also back ordered. Their communication is good though.

Garbage disposal and faucet came from faucetdepot.com. Very quick.

And thanks to many recommendations here, under cabinet lighting came from InspiredLED. They were awesome - sent my layout and they told me what to order. I didn't like their dimmer switch so guy gave me exact part number for a different one on Amazon, which ended up being cheaper.

Lots of other things from local store including the pendants and recessed lighting. Our contractor only shops at HD, we prefer Lowes so they each get a fair chunk of our change.

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

Wow...love this thread. Lots of good resources!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We did a mix of online and local ordering. The prices were dry close, but online ordering is just so darned easy and convenient. We also have had very good experience with build.com, faucetsdirect and inspiredLED.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We did a mix of online and local ordering. The prices were very close, but online ordering is just so darned easy and convenient. We also have had very good experience with build.com, faucetsdirect and inspiredLED.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Where I was able to buy locally, I did. My local shops either beat the the online pricing or were able to meet it in all but one case. There were a couple of things I could not get locally and I ordered those from irawoodonline or homeandstone.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I equipped an entire house with online purchases. The house was new construction. The only items I didn't purchase were the bathtubs. I thought they were too heavy.

One of the porcelain toilets and a porcelain sink were damaged. No problem with getting them replaced.

I ordered well in advance of needing the items. The builder was a little nervous about me assuming the responsibility. But, it went really well and he wasn't waiting on anything from my end.

Be sure to unpack everything upon receipt. That way there is no question about damaged items being damaged in transit.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

We ordered online and from a showroom. A salesperson at the Blackman showroom on 5th Avenue in NYC was very helpful, and we got many of our fixtures through her - two kitchen faucets, Insinkerator system, soap dispenser, plus our bathroom faucet and shower controls. The pedestal sink for the bathroom came through a high-end bath/tile showroom in NYC and the toilet from a neighborhood plumbing supply house in Brooklyn. Online, we bought both kitchen sinks (Amazon and Overstock.com) and the medicine cabinet (efaucets.com).

The ONLY vendor with whom we had a problem was efaucets and that wasn't strictly their fault. The item was delivered by a local delivery company, and those guys were IMPOSSIBLE. Twice they showed up hours late with the delivery, after our GC's guys had gone home (I'm talking 8pm after giving us a 10am-to-2pm delivery window). I had to contact Efaucets and complain before the delivery company got it together and made the delivery on their third attempt.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I bought my Swanstone silgranite sink from Home Depot.com for $275 and it was over $500 at the plumbing supply store nearby. Huge box was delivered by UPS and we immediately checked for any concealed damage and it was perfect. It is one of my favorite things in our kitchen redo.

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

I ordered my Franke Oceania & accessories from kbauthority - it was the best price I could find, plus free shipping (I did pay tax because they are located in the same state)..no one else could beat the price
    and I was able to get a "better" sink than I had originally budgeted for.
    I did look locally to find the sink I wanted first...will also order my faucet online *if* I can ever pick one out!